We examined the warming of a country house in several ways and touched on the main points that can increase energy saving. But today we would like to talk in more detail about how the warming of the entrance to the house occurs, which provides additional heat conservation.
Naturally, for high-quality energy saving of the building, it is necessary to properly insulate windows and doors in order to create air tightness and prevent heat from going outside and being replaced by autumn and winter cold. It is easy to deal with windows, but doors are a more complicated issue, since it will not be enough just to paste them over with paper or process them with foam rubber, more extensive work needs to be done.
Insulation of wooden doors
For a long time, such structures have been insulated in the same way - by stuffing on both sides of a special material under which foam rubber, cotton wool, synthetic winterizer, and other heaters are laid.
First of all, you will need to purchase a set for door insulation, just try to choose a quality one and with all the necessary elements. A reliable and practical set combines the material for lining on both sides of the door, insulation, rollers or tapes for securing the upholstery around the perimeter, a special set of foam tapes or rubber bands for laying in the doorway, fasteners in the form of decorative nails.
Warming of the entrance wooden door in the country house begins with the fact that the door leaf must be removed and carefully laid on the floor. Next, deploy the insulation kit you purchased and follow the instructions. If there is no instruction, we present you the simplest algorithm.
- Lay the door leaf on the floor, preferably on several bars, so as not to spoil the side adjacent to the floor with scratches and chips.
- Take the sizes and compare the doors with the canvas, do the fitting.
- If the upholstery is slightly larger than the door, it should not be trimmed, it will be enough to pull it from the corner, that is, for example, from above and to the left, and when there are tolerances at the bottom right, they can be bent inward.
- Before starting the upholstery, the insulation is laid out on the door leaf. You can put it on glue, even on the simplest PVA, the main thing is that during the upholstery the insulation does not slip and does not stray into lumps.
- After, we begin the upholstery, for example, from the top of the door or from the corner, carefully monitoring the progress of the material so that it does not move to the side and lay obliquely on the canvas. Upholstery occurs with the help of decorative nails in the central parts of the door. Along the perimeter, it is necessary to fix the upholstery to the nails, but through a special roller that will prevent the edges of the upholstery from tearing.
- Then you can go to the other side, and then install the lock and handles.
If the door and locks have already been installed in the door, they will need to be removed before the upholstery, and after upholstery to be replaced. In order not to invent unnecessary problems for yourself, do not put the insulation under the upholstery in that part of the door where you will install the lock and do not cut the “window” under the lock in advance.
Insulation of metal doors
Warming of the entrance metal door occurs a little differently, and most often it is insulated only from the inside, but with a much larger layer of insulation. The process is quite simple.
- Doors for insulation can not be removed from the hinges and door frame, but insulated on the spot. But, if you are uncomfortable working in this way, the canvas can be removed and laid on the floor.
- First of all, it is necessary to mark the crate, on which the insulation and casing material will be attached.
- Usually, it is done horizontally, parallel to the floor, every 50-60 cm, depending on the insulation, but since there is not much insulation left, the crate can always be done exactly as it suits you.
- After marking, we install the crate from a wooden beam or mounting plate, depending on the thickness of the insulation, the door and your requirements for the quality of insulation.
- After the crate, we lubricate the canvas with glue, it is possible partially or pointly, only so that the insulation material is fixed.
- Laying of the material occurs sequentially, from top to bottom, whether it is polystyrene foam, polystyrene foam, mineral wool or other materials.
- Do not forget about the installation of the lock, for which it will be necessary to make a dimensional slot in the insulation. If the lock is already installed on the door, you just need to “hug” it with a heater.
- After the end of the process of lathing and insulation, it is necessary to sheathe the door with decorative trim. It can be plastic, lining, plywood, OSB and other materials that you consider more worthy.
- Sheathing can take place on nails, screws, bolts and nuts, or special fasteners for the installed material.
Doing warming the front door with your own hands should be well thought out, because if you leave the box “cold”, as well as cracks for drafts, upholstery and insulation of the door leaf itself will be simply meaningless.
Insulation of metal door boxes
Warming can be an empty venture if you do not think about the most important thing - the door frame and the cracks between its base and door leaf.
The work is as follows:
- Initially, you need to remove the door leaf and insulate them, but do not hang them back on the hinges, but work well with the box.
- Evaluate initially how the box is installed, maybe it needs to be fixed to the wall, ceiling and floor, to give rigidity and reliability.
- After, the metal box should be well blown with a mounting foam, but only professional, which will not ruin the base of the box and will not bend it.
- After the foam dries, it will be necessary to carefully cut it off and putty it several times, giving each layer the opportunity to dry. It is advisable to lay between the putty and the reinforcing mesh, otherwise in a year all your work may be on the floor.
- After, wait for the putty to dry completely, wipe it to a smooth state, prime and paint.
At this stage, it can be stated that the iron entrance door is insulated and should not allow heat to pass through, but you should also think about drafts that will blow it.
We advise you to lay the perimeter of the door leaf and the box with a special rubber or foam tape, which will provide additional tightness, which means that it will keep heat inside the house.
The above methods can also be used to insulate the doors of the garage, barn, summer kitchen and other buildings in the summer cottage.
Do-it-yourself door insulation
Proper insulation of doors and windows in the country, installation of heating IR or even an oil radiator will be able to provide you with heat for the entire winter period. We wish you not to freeze !!!