Rutarium is a magnificent fantasy composition that absolutely anyone, even a child, can create. This is an original element of landscape design, which can be interestingly fit into almost every style.
For many summer residents, rutarium is an unknown word, but each of them daily encounters materials for the performance of such compositions. Doing it yourself is quite simple, you just have to turn on your imagination, choose your free time, work with the original details and combine them into a single whole to get a beautiful picture.
Rutaria in the country
Rutarium is an original landscape composition of roots, trunks, branches, bark, snags, as well as auxiliary elements of decor. The borrowed name of the rutaria from English is “root”, which means the root. Thus, it is a glade of roots or a root garden that are nicely folded into a bizarre composition.
Features of rutaria in the country
Simply collecting roots from uprooted trees and stacking them on the lawn will be wrong, as you will not create anything, but just litter the lawn or part of the garden. But, if you approach the issue seriously and really try, then believe me, in a few days of work you can organize something that every guest of your site will be surprised and envious of. So, what are the main features of the composition of the roots?
- Maximum uniqueness, after all, even the pros will not be able to collect a completely identical picture, even if they really want to, even if they spend money on it. And this is wonderful, as being the owner of an exclusive is very pleasant.
- Freakish forms. Naturally, it cannot be otherwise. Why do you need roots that just lie in the clearing and dry, falling apart, they have to play some role - to amuse, surprise, can frighten a little, like people, please the eye and so on.
- Capabilities of experimenting with creation elements. You can always do with your own hands what you want - whole pictures, decorative dead gardens, magnificent living beds (in composition with living plants), figures of animals and fairy-tale characters, and so on.
- No cost to create items. And, indeed, you do not spend a dime, because there are enough dry roots in the country, and if not, always someone nearby “cleans” the territory. A lot of cottages and branches, bark, unnecessary logs.
- The ability to create a rutarium not only in the country, but also on the terrace, veranda, near the patio, placing several magnificent and scary guards of your property from the roots.
Principles of Creation
There are always rules and exceptions, and the same thing we can say about the creation of rutaria. It can be done randomly, just the way you want it, but it is possible, according to certain principles, to get a real masterpiece unlike other similar compositions, and a root garden that originally fits exactly into your site.
- You should create a rutarium only in the area where it will correspond to the style. Just want to warn that in a regular style, Baroque or Italian, such figures will be a little inappropriate. The same can be said of minimalism, unless you build a rutary from strict direct forms in a single color. Compositions are suitable for mixed styles, in which, as usual, we design our cottages. There is nothing strict and capricious-intelligent, nothing imposing and too rich, artsy and intentionally designer? Then the rutarium is suitable for your site.
- Rutaria should be created in a certain direction, to give it a philosophy initially. Just think about exactly how you want to see it, maybe this is a scary and gloomy corner that will succumb to a cheerful discussion of adults, perhaps a joyful composition of funny animals and characters from fairy tales, which will be small to your liking. But it’s also quite real a combination, for example, a bright harmony with nature, a bit of evil, but more good, which defeats the first. Yes, yes, just like that, you can even create a fragment from a fairy tale that everyone will like and will remain in your memory for a long time.
- A certain integrity, a single concept should be viewed in the composition, even if it is created in a mixed style. To do this, you will need to make every effort, especially since not only the rutarium must be uniform within itself, but its combination with the rest of the site and the landscape should also be extremely noticeable.
- In addition to creating a charming or slightly intimidating composition, you should think not only about the appearance of the rutaria, its style and combination with the landscape design of the territory, but also about the durability of your masterpiece.
To tell you the truth, you can write with a dozen of these principles, but in our situation, this is definitely inappropriate. We need a beautiful and durable rutarium, with a certain mood, maximum life, joyful and memorable that will surprise friends and relatives ... in principle, this is enough !!!
Do it yourself rutarius
Do you think it’s very difficult to do? You think correctly, because it’s easy to just throw the roots and snags on a site or meadow, and to make a composition out of them is much more difficult. But, there are some types that you don’t have to think about.
We make a rutarium in the garden
Types of Songs
- The simplest rutarium. This can be done exactly in the way that we called, mentioning the roots and snags on the site. On the one hand, this can only spoil everything, but on the other hand, if you have enough strength, you can create the simplest, but also the most original rutary. To do this, you will need to not only find quality material that already looks like something cute and exclusive (snags in the shape of crocodiles, roots with stumps in the form of old scary gnomes, and so on), but also refine it. Naturally, this will require certain skills. If you make really “strong” elements from simple roots, you can simply install them on the lawn. Everything, a small and simple rutarium is ready, but the main thing is that it is beautiful and original.
- Natural. It can also be called compositional, and it is this type that almost everyone chooses. It's like biomechanics - a mixture of living and nonliving. We also have old and dead roots, plus beautiful ornamental plants in composition with them. It is very difficult, believe me, but also very beautiful. Creating such a masterpiece, and you don’t want to call it another way, you need to understand that the life of rutaria is up to 5-7 years (maximum), the plants in the composition must be selected very correctly, the location will have to be selected according to certain parameters, the creation will take far not 1-2 days. In general, there are plenty of difficulties.
- Fairy or decorative, cartoon, fantasyas they just don't call him. Here the emphasis is on crafts made from wooden elements, and living plants are just a simple decor, background for the picture. It is created in accordance with any specific scenario, for example, which you yourself came up with. But definitely without chaos and obscure compositions. Everything should be as harmonious as possible inside the rutaria, plus it will also have to be entered into the main landscape style. As practice shows, this is easy to do only with the classics, and when the entrance is your own imagination, then everything is much more complicated.
Landscape design rutarium
Further, we try to fit our root garden into a ready-made summer cottage style (if it is suitable for this, of course) and find a place for it on the site.
This can be done simply by arranging a certain composition on the territory, but you can also dream up. Here are a couple of original examples:
- Rutarium near the recreation area, in the form of hearth keepers, gnomes that bring happiness, some animals that walk near you.
- The root garden, hidden behind a hedge, at the entrance to the cottage is original and lively, with a bright and colorful composition of living plants;
- Rutarium, which scares or surprises, for example, large-sized roots in a corner of the garden, where people are infrequent. Such compositions always leave a vivid impression and become an occasion for discussion.
Work with style as much as possible, and in whatever place you decide to place the original root garden, try to do it harmoniously and unobtrusively.
As we said above, these can be old roots of trees and shrubs, driftwood and logs, decayed parts of trunks, bark, stones, living plants, pebbles, small wild bushes, mosses and even pieces of lawn.
Try to choose a more or less high-quality material that will last longer, connect children and acquaintances to the search for materials, ask similar elements from neighbors in the country, because everyone in the yard has a lot of similar things, and all this is not used.
Be sure to pay attention to decorativeness, choose materials, having drawn up an action plan, maybe you will need various antiques, sculptures, some figures, and even bottles and pots.
We prepare the material for the composition
Of course, here you can apply your own knowledge and imagination - paint materials, varnish, cut or join some parts, and so on. But it is important to do everything correctly and consistently.
- The collected material should be cleaned of dust, pass with brushes, a broom, and maybe even wash some parts.
- Next, be sure to treat it with boiling water, examine various insects for life, and remove them to the maximum.
- Treat the materials with an antiseptic from the sprayer so that the composition gets into even the most inaccessible places. Process several times.
- If possible, treat with special protective compounds, impregnations.
- The material can be painted and varnished, but remember that in this case it will lose in naturalness and naturalness.
Root garden layout
This is an important step, because once you have planned everything and done according to your own project, you certainly will not be able to redo it, since most of the materials will simply be lost. Therefore, you should plan the rutarium once, with a sheet of paper and a pencil, using special landscape programs and a PC, or by training your memory and arranging everything inside your thoughts on the shelves in the future composition.
Layout is an important stage of any creation, and therefore, we recommend, at a minimum, use a simple drawing on paper. You will see, it will be much easier to work this way.
How to make rutarium on your own?
The main sequence of work is as follows:
- We decided that our rutarium would not be very difficult, because we do not have large capital and time for it, which means we create an original and nice composition that will simply delight us with its presence at the cottage.
- We chose the site on the lawn, before the main building. It seems to us that the rutarium should be noticeable and delight every visitor to the cottage.
- The materials are very simple: a large root of a tree, several small roots of shrubs with a branched root system, a couple of fancy branches, driftwood and logs.
- We prepare the site very simply - we plant lawn grass, form a zone of rutaria, we plant fencing with any bright and stunted annual flowers (in the sequence this step is here, but if done correctly, the plants should be planted under the lawn and base after installation of the main elements so that trample seeds).
- Now, install the main, large root of the tree. We put it in a small hole, with the roots cut down, and with the trunk cut up, that is, in a natural position. We dig in the bottom of the root a little and cover it with stones, like a fortress, cut out the top and fill it with earth. But the middle of the root is shaped like a castle, large and impregnable. In the upper part, where the earth was poured, we plant curly flowers, which we then let down the root. On the sides of the main root we establish the roots of shrubs, trunks down, roots up, also, at their base we lay out stones of small size. Along the borders of our rutaria, where the entire platform will end with pretty annuals, we lay out the driftwood that we decorated as dragons (paint, beads, a little machining with an ax and a hacksaw).
The composition is completed, now you just have to wait until the plants begin to emerge and bloom in the rutaria, which will give it cheerful colors. We arranged a small platform, in the middle of which we installed a fairytale castle (big stump) in the form of a fictional character, next to it - two guards (scary roots of bushes), we placed dragons around the perimeter to protect the territory (our processed driftwood and logs) In general, it turned out that something amazing, not scary, original, and even pretty.
Do-it-yourself rutaria in the country
From all of the above, we can conclude - to build a root garden is simple, but if it is an uncomplicated composition, it’s much more difficult to build a decorative and fantasy rutaria on your own, since it will be necessary not only to collect material, but also specifically to work on it. But, whatever option you choose, we want to wish you cool ideas and success in your work.
Root garden in a summer cottage (20 photos)