After the removal of trees, stumps always remain on the summer cottage, which not only spoil the aesthetics of the landscape, but also often interfere with further cultivation of the land. There are several ways to uproot them, and today we will look at each of them.
The stump remaining after removing the old tree only for the first time can look interesting on the site, be used as a table or some kind of decoration, but after a few years it becomes a real center of malicious organisms that spread rapidly around the site. And, this is not only bark beetles and a host of other insects, but also mushrooms and rot, which, through migration through the soil, can easily and quickly get to healthy plants. Do not forget that the old stump remains alive for some time, and therefore, you will not have to wait for a lot of green shoots that are rapidly developing nearby. There is only one way out - to eliminate such plant debris.
There are several ways to remove stumps from a site. and, most often, to apply them, you will have to use the help of professionals with the necessary equipment and knowledge. But you can cope with the work yourself. It is about the methods for removing stumps, their advantages and disadvantages, we suggest you read in our current article.
Using a tractor
Heavy equipment can be used for almost any stumpbut some conditions must be met. Firstly, the object must be prepared for uprooting, and there must be a free access to it. Secondly, working with a tractor does not allow the presence of strangers nearby, as this is a rather complicated and dangerous process. And thirdly, the procedure takes place only with the use of professional equipment, which is provided with everything necessary for the removal of hemp, as well as special protection.
Work Method Benefits
This method is good for several parties, and a little more about them now:
- A fairly quick process by which you can uproot a lot of stumps in large, open areas;
- The pits remaining even after the removal of the old stumps and even small pits can be used for their intended purpose, for example, for planting large-sized trees;
- A fairly economical method if the customer needs to get rid of a large number of stumps, for example, from the old country garden.
Disadvantages of ways
Be sure to consider the disadvantages of the method before you choose it:
- Rooting out by a tractor will be inappropriate for well-groomed areas where landscape design is developed. The tractor will easily spoil the expensive tracks, push the irrigation and heating systems of the site, harm plants and lawn;
- Heavy equipment is often very clumsy, and therefore damage can be caused not only to plants and landscape elements. Inexperienced use of such a technique can greatly affect the general exterior of a summer cottage;
- This method is considered unprofitable under the conditions of removal of one or even several stumps, the costs per unit are very high with such quantities;
- After uprooting, a pit of considerable size remains, which will need to be leveled, and this is an additional expense;
- The tractor pulls the stump out of the ground with great force and, if its root system is confused with the roots of other trees or shrubs, they can be irreparably damaged.
To eliminate stumps, other special equipment can be used that provides high-quality uprooting - this is milling and crushing.
The benefits of crushing
- Fairly high speed;
- Elementary delivery of the necessary equipment to any site;
- A fairly accurate method, especially for landscape design, which does not suffer from the removal of a stump of any size;
- Manual adjustment of all levels of work - the diameter of the recess, its depth and other parameters. All processes are strictly controlled and regulated by the operator;
- The stump crusher can practically “erase” an object that is not attractive from the face of your site, that is, bury its remains under the ground.
Disadvantages of the method
- The crusher cannot go deeper to remove stump residues by more than 30 cm, and this is a very shallow depth, because wood residues can interfere if it is planned to fill the foundation for construction or planting large-size trees at this place;
- This method is also ineffective when working in contaminated areas, for example, immediately after construction work. Any piece of fittings, bolt or nut, stone or other solid debris can break expensive equipment knives, and the customer also pays for it.
What technique is used to root out stumps?
Use of chemicals
From a long time ago special chemistry helps us grow plants, but it can also help with their removalif that’s the time. Initially, we will consider some of the advantages and disadvantages of using chemicals for such a process, and then we will learn how it happens.
- A fairly inexpensive way, which may not even require the involvement of professionals. It all depends on the amount of work and the chemicals used;
- The work is carried out without any damage to the surrounding landscape elements and plants, which is very good. Naturally, if you go too far with chemistry, then it can do some harm, but, we think, this is unlikely to happen;
- Using chemistry, you can remove not only the aerial part of the stump, but also the entire stump, so you will not be bothered by the roots under the paths on the site, as well as young shoots trying to return to life.
The disadvantages of the method
- The duration of the process is one of the most important disadvantages. In fact, until the stump is destroyed and the owners of the site completely forget about it, it can take up to three years;
- Using chemistry, not only plant residues are burned, but also soil in a given place, which for a certain period of time becomes generally unsuitable for growing any kind of vegetation.
What to use to remove stumps?
There are many chemical elements and compounds that differ in price, quality, impact on the environment and humans. It should be very right to approach the issue and take into account absolutely all the nuances in order to remove only the old stump from the site, and not damage the skin and mucous membranes and completely kill the soil for several years.
Before using any chemical product, make sure that it is safe for humans, and also make sure that it does not permanently damage the fertility of the soil.
Chemicals for stump removal
- Sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate. The method using these chemicals is very simple and does not require much time. Initially, you need to make more nitrate in the stump itself, for example, in a hollow or specially made holes. The next year, the stump must be burned out, it is precisely set on fire and wait for the moment when the stump burns out due to a chemical reaction and fire. This is a fairly profitable and effective method, since even the underground part burns out. But, you need to follow some rules using nitrate. Firstly, in order for wood to be well saturated with a chemical substance, it must be filled in a large number of holes, and even in a wet form. Further, the stump is well wrapped so that rains and winter snows do not wash out the substance. The process itself is carried out at the end of summer or even in winter. The next year, the stump is set on fire and burns out, but the most important thing is that the process can be carried out only if the soils are not peat, as they are quite easily ignited by such actions, and it is not easy to extinguish them;
- Ammonium nitrate, urea. This chemical is used in almost the same way as nitrate in the previous method, with only one difference, which greatly simplifies everything - to burn the stump for the next year and not have to worry about fires. Nitrate affects the acceleration of decomposition of wood and, after holes are made in the stump and moist nitrate is laid in them, you can wrap it up or even bury it with earth, and after a couple of years, plant anything on this place, since the rest of the tree itself itself disappear.
Removing stumps with mushrooms
Here we will meet only a few paragraphs, since this method is simple and interesting, but rarely used.
The old stump can be populated with the mycelium of edible mushrooms, that spread around the stump, developing into a real colony. As a result of life, the mushrooms will decompose, that is, completely destroy the wood, and you will get your own mushrooms for cooking delicious and fragrant dishes.
This method is long and may take several years. Also, it is dangerous for other trees in the garden and small architectural forms, which means that using it, you should be very careful.
How to Root Hemp Winch
Do it yourself
So we came to the most important way for us, since on our own site we are used to doing it with our own hands. You can also root out stumps yourself, but this method is also not the best, and therefore, we will consider its advantages and disadvantages separately.
The advantages of the method
- Manual stump removal is carried out in absolutely any place of your site, which is very good, because not all objects can be approached with a crusher and, especially, on a tractor;
- With a skillful approach, rooting out stumps by hand is a fairly effective method, since not only the external part, but also the absolute maximum of the root system can be removed from the soil;
- After the liberation of the land from the stump the very next year, it is ready for cultivation.
Disadvantages of the method
- First of all, it is really hard, and sometimes even hellish physical labor;
- This method cannot be applied in winter, since its effectiveness is completely lost due to a significant complication of work - snow, frozen soil, dirt, and so on;
- The cost of such an uprooting at firms is now almost impossible, and if so, it will cost you a fortune, especially if the tree was tall and old, and had a serious root system.
Manual stubbing of stumps is used everywhere, and every experienced summer resident has come across it repeatedly. It happens approximately the same in any region of our country, and the whole world as a whole.
Useful for work scrap, shovels, axes, hammers, levers, possibly winches, as well as cutting tools and, of course, gloves and plastic glasses for personal protection.
A stump is dug from all sides to a certain depth, more often, by a couple of tens of centimeters. Further, its main roots are separated from the rest of the trunk and, with the help of leverage or a hefty force of participants in the process, the stump is removed from the soil.
How to remove stumps on a site
Often, in order to save time, and effort, and money, a mixed method of removing stumps from the ground is used.. An example would be the manual digging method and the addition of burning it with chemicals. Also, the stumps are undermined and, with the help of a remote tractor or truck, which can not enter the site, as well as ropes or chains, the stump is partially torn out of the ground. We recommend that you familiarize yourself with the material on hanging gardens for a summer residence.
As you can see, our people can always figure out how to do this or that work in several ways, and if we talk about old stumps, we gave them to you. It’s up to you to decide which method to use for the sake of your own good and the good of the site, and it remains for us to wish you success and quality results !!!