We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The lawn is one of the most common elements of landscape design. All existing grass mixtures for lawns can be classified according to the purpose and nature of use. For example, a Moorish lawn is ideal for creating a spectacular flowering meadow in a plot.
Features, advantages and disadvantages
Classic lawns take away a lot of time from their owners and require constant financial costs. Therefore, when decorating garden plots, grass mixtures have been increasingly used recently to create Moorish-type lawns.
In addition to traditional cereal plants, various wildflowers are also included in the mixtures of this type. The latter can be selected based on personal preferences. For example, very often poppies, daisies, cornflowers, various types of flax, daisies are included in the mixture. Sometimes, flowers of the same color scheme are used to create such a grassy lawn.. The top of perfection is considered when such a one-color lawn completely changes its color several times during the season.
But the most widely spread nevertheless received variegated mixtures. Flowers for them are selected in such a way that when some species bloom, the flowering of others begins. A quality herbal mixture for the Moorish type of lawn blooms very early and continues to delight with its flowering to frost. To achieve this effect, up to 40 species of flowering plants can be included in the mixture.
Moorish lawn: seeds
This type of lawn has a number of advantages:
- High decorativeness and an abundance of bright colors.
- Excellent self-healing ability.
- Undemanding to the composition of soils.
- There is no need for constant care.
- Easy restoration of damaged areas.
This lawn also has its own disadvantages:
- It is worth refusing to sow it to those who have an increased tendency to allergic reactions.
- The abundance of flowering herbs attracts just a huge number of different insects, including bees, bumblebees and wasps.
- Low damage resistance.
Do-it-yourself soil preparation to create a Moorish lawn
Start work with preliminary soil preparation. It is best to plan them in the middle of summer, at which time seeds fly around most weeds.
Preliminary soil preparation is best started in the fall. This will significantly reduce the number of weeds. To do this, it is plowed or dug to a depth of at least 30 cm. After that, this area is covered with black non-woven material.
In June, covering material is removed and re-plowing the soil. During it, all weed rhizomes are selected. After that, the soil is compacted using a special roller. In its absence, you can use a metal barrel, weighted by any load. On too poor soils, a certain amount of fertilizer can also be applied.
How to care for a Moorish lawn
The composition of the herbal mixture
In fact, the Moorish type of lawn is an imitation of a natural meadow meadow. Therefore, the composition of the herbal mixture includes both flowering plants and cereals.
The following are the most popular ones:
- cornflower - one of the most popular plants. Its small inflorescences of bright blue color effectively complement the herbs. Of its advantages, it is worth noting the ability to naturally regenerate. Cornflower blooms very quickly and easily, forming spectacular jackets of saturated blue color.
- Medium bell. Unpretentious cold-resistant plant with spectacular bell-shaped inflorescences. The flowering period lasts all summer until the onset of the first frost.
- Large-flowered flax - unpretentious and quite spectacular annual plant. There are many varieties and types of flax with flowers of different colors.
- Eschscholzia - perennial plant grown as an annual. Forms beautiful flowering bushes. It is characterized by cup-shaped flowers of the most varied color.
- Meadow chamomile - perennial plant, the most common inhabitant of natural meadows and glades. It goes well with most flowering plants and cereals.
- Eastern poppy - perennial plant with large single flowers of deep scarlet color. Blooms very abundantly for 2-3 weeks.
- Gypsophila - perennial unpretentious plant from the clove family. It goes well with annual and perennial flowering plants.
- Ryegrass - One of the most common and fast-growing lawn grasses. It has a very high viability. Suitable for all soil types.
- Bluegrass - one of the best lawn grasses. The period of active growth lasts from the moment of descent to snow until the onset of a steady cooling.
- Fescue - A very strong perennial cereal that perfectly adapts to almost any growing conditions.
After preliminary preparation of the soil, you can start sowing seeds. The best time for this is considered the time from June to July. Before sowing, the seeds are mixed with clean river sand. in a ratio of 1: 3. This will allow for more uniform seedlings. Before sowing, the site must be watered.
Seeding depth should be no more than 0.5 cm. Deeper seeding is not recommended as it will significantly delay the emergence of seedlings. After sowing, the soil surface is slightly compacted and watered to avoid leaching of seeds. Subject to all conditions, the first shoots begin to appear after 2 weeks.
There is also another sowing method. But seed consumption when using it is much higher. Its essence is as follows. Seeds are scattered in the form of longitudinal and transverse stripes over the entire area of the lawn. Then, using a rake, they are as evenly embedded as possible into the ground. After that, the soil surface is rolled up and well moistened.
Features of lawn grass care with flowers
In order for the Moorish lawn to please you with its flowering, it will require appropriate care. Caring for a newly planted home meadow has its own characteristics. His mowing for the season is carried out twice. For the first time in May at the time of the growth of cereal grasses, this will slow down their development somewhat and make it possible to grow slowly growing flowering plants.
The second time in the fall after the end of the flowering period of herbs. The mowing height should be at least 8 cm. Mowed grass must be removed, but not immediately. She is left in place for several days. During this time, the cut flowers have time to sprinkle seeds on the ground. This technique allows you to maintain the species diversity of lawn planting. In subsequent years, the first mowing is carried out after flowering and seeding of the spring-flowering group of plants. The second - after the flowering of autumn-flowering plants.
Moorish lawn care also involves periodic weeding and systematic watering. Weeding is carried out only manually., this is one of its shortcomings. The frequency of watering depends on weather conditions. They should be carried out strictly in the morning or evening hours. In this case, the depth of wetting of the soil should be at least 10-15 cm. Also, several times a season, the lawn can be fed with special complex fertilizers.
With the spring sowing of the Moorish lawn, most perennial crops will be able to bloom only next year. In the first summer, they will actively build up the root system. With autumn sowing, perennial plants will bloom in the very first summer.
Lawns: grass mixtures
For uniform flowering of this type of lawn, annual plants should be sowed every summer. It is also worth remembering that the Moorish lawn is absolutely not intended for walking pets and active games.
It is not at all difficult to grow a flowering green lawn on your site. The main thing is to choose a suitable mixture of grass mixtures for your conditions and to prepare the site accordingly.