Artificial grass is a relatively new, but already popular synthetic coating used as a modern substitute for natural grass covering in areas where there are no optimal conditions necessary for photosynthesis of herbs. Such a coating on the cottage can easily be laid on the surface of the playground or on personal territory with your own hands.
Artificial grass: use cases and benefits
Artificial turf or grass in rolls is a good alternative for decorating playgrounds and other areas. Such a decorative cover has a sufficient number of advantages:
- the complete absence of pronounced "plastic" gloss, which is due to the use of a combination of two types of synthetic fiber. Thus, the resulting appearance can be as natural as possible;
- modern artificial lawns can be operated around the clock and without loss of decorative characteristics and quality indicators;
- artificial grass coverings have very high wear and frost resistance, and also do not fade under the influence of ultraviolet radiation;
- elastic synthetic blades of grass are able to statically maintain a vertical shape and maintain attractiveness;
- artificial blades of grass do not need irrigation measures, as well as top dressing and regular haircuts;
- modern technology allows to improve gaming performance, as well as minimize the risk of injury, due to excellent adhesion of the legs to the surface of the coating;
- such tiles on the street do not retain moisture on the surface, and standard indicators of water throughput can be 50-60 l / min per square meter.
Depending on the purpose for which it is supposed to use an artificial grass surface, the stiffness and slip indicators can vary, which allows you to choose the best option.
The disadvantages include:
- high heating rate, which often causes some discomfort;
- high risk of the multiplication of bacteria and pathogenic microflora;
- the presence of components represented by latex, plasticizers and other components that emit harmful and toxic substances;
- the need for a complete replacement after ten years of operation;
- the need for periodic cleaning and vacuuming, brushes and detergents.
How to make artificial turf
Among other things, high-quality material is quite expensive, and cheap analogues do not differ in durability.
Artificial turf production technology
Grassy coating production is based on the use of modern polymers and high-quality plastics. At the first stage of manufacture, the stems are formed by means of an extruder, which in appearance have excellent similarity to natural herbs. Then they are fixed on a flexible latex basis.
All manufacturers try to make the most attractive material, represented by a rich assortment, differing in stalk density, their length and thickness, as well as the tint range. Artificial grasses are produced in the form of rolls and plates, which determines the way they are laid.
Modern production involves the use of not only green pigments, but also white, red, blue and yellow colors, shades and combinations. Such materials, today, are in great demand in the landscape design of personal plots, in the design of forest zones and the arrangement of sports or children's playgrounds.
In recent years, the laying of artificial lawns is increasingly used in any local area, in a commercial type building and residential buildings.
Types of artificial grass cover at the cottage
Despite the variety of species, To date, three coverage options are widespread:
- “football field” and “sports field” mowing lawns, used when necessary to obtain maximum surface performance and minimize the risk of injury when falling or sliding;
- non-filling options used in landscape design and when creating street decorative surfaces that do not require significant loads, due to the presence of free space between synthetic fibers.
Intermediate options are semi-filled synthetic coatings designed for decoration of sports areas and children's playgrounds. Also, the material can be laid on the surface of tennis courts. Such tiles on the street look very impressive.
How to lay artificial turf
Laying an artificial lawn: stages and features
It is completely uncomplicated to cover synthetic lawn grasses on your own. Laying on a ground surface or concrete base is allowed. It should be remembered that the use of an asphalt or concrete base requires laying the substrate of elastic and durable materials with a thickness of 10 mm or more, which will extend the service life. The correct technology for self-installation:
- the soil surface is leveled and any debris is removed;
- compacting leveled soil with a garden skating rink;
- arrangement of a drainage system for drainage of rain and melt water;
- when laying on a base of asphalt or concrete, the surface is lined with a substrate over which rolled synthetic material is rolled;
- laying is carried out in a straight line, with an overlap of one and a half centimeters;
- after rolling on the surface, the material should lie well and straighten for twelve hours;
- fasten the rolls with the most tight fit of the rows to each other;
- the edges of the synthetic coating are formed with a border tape, which is fixed with adhesive compositions.
When laying a semi-filled or filled-in lawn, the surface should wake up with quartz sand. The size of the fraction will be recommended to you at the place of sale of the lawn. It is important to consider that, and then comb through the garden rake. Then the filling of rubber or rubber granulate is carried out.
The most important stage of work is the correct gluing of the rows. Immediately prior to gluing, the coating is checked for wrinkles or bloating, as well as trimming the edge portion. The glue is used only after the complete elimination of all laying defects.
For this purpose, connecting tapes are used, the width of which can vary between 250-300 mm and a two-component adhesive. Glue, using a spatula, glue the strip, after which the edges of adjacent rolls are turned off, and the tape is inserted with the adhesive side up. For a high-quality bonding of the base to occur, the suture part is rolled with a roller.
Lawn Care Tips
In order for the artificial grass cover to serve as long as possible and maintain a highly decorative appearance throughout the entire period of operation, such The lawn needs to be properly and regularly maintained:
- regular alignment and raising of the pile, as well as periodic uniform distribution of sand filler in accordance with the optimal height indicators;
- timely filling the filler in areas with its absence or insufficient quantity, which will prevent the risk of excessive bending of synthetic lawn pile;
- regular checking of the cover for the absence of weed vegetation and, if necessary, timely removal of weeds manually or using herbicidal preparations;
- timely removal from the synthetic surface of any heavy objects and any household waste;
- timely and correct repair work when stitching joints or local surface damage;
- regular thorough but accurate removal of falling leaves from the surface of the artificial turf;
- it is very important every two years to move or completely replace the filler, which tends to cake and suffer from the germination of weeds and moss.
To clean significant contaminants, brushes with medium hard bristles and special detergents approved for use on synthetic surfaces can be used. It is most convenient to remove garbage with special garden vacuum cleaners of sufficient power.
Artificial Grass: Recreation Area
The main producers of high-quality artificial lawn grass are represented by companies that produce carpet, due to the similarity of the weaving technology of these modern materials. When choosing a synthetic coating, you must pay attention to the availability of a quality certificate.