Every new day, professional landscape designers have original ideas for decorating the garden, courtyard and summer cottage area as a whole. In this regard, new styles of landscape design are born. Today we want to talk about minimalism, which came to the landscape not so long ago, but has already taken a fairly stable position.
Garden design in the style of minimalism is as similar as possible to minimalism in the interior - everything is quite simple, restrained, concise, but expressive. But, it only at first glance it all seems so simple, in fact, creating a “real minimalism” in the garden is quite difficult. The most important thing is that with a minimum of parts, objects and their location, it is necessary to ensure that the area presented to the designer sounds. If a professional designer will work with your site and he will be able to recreate the project of the garden in the style of minimalism as much as possible, then it will be very easy to take care of such a garden.
Minimalism is applied to a site of any size, but it is much more interesting to work with sites of small 3-8 acres, of which, through knowledge and their implementation, you can create a real miracle.
The minimalism style is primarily intended for people who prefer brevity and restraint, which are surrounded by modern elements of landscape design.
Like any style of landscape design, minimalism has its own special elements, which differ from other styles and also like the customer. Among none:
- a large number of paving;
- the focus is not on color and shades, but on the shape of objects and elements, and their size;
- podiums and steps are assumed;
- minimum number of outbuildings;
- several large patios, wooden flooring;
- the use of some coarse elements of large size;
- one body of water, most often of regular geometric shape, possibly elevated, with a fountain or cascade;
- the use in the construction and manufacture of only one material, for example, all walls, paving, benches, fences, etc., are made of concrete.
Features of the layout indicate the features of the style, its differences and positive characteristics, as well as some technical data:
- the use of a small number of parts in the design;
- compliance with clear lines and shapes of each building, each landscape element;
- steps in the garden and paving of the original form - rhombuses, triangles, etc.
- compliance with unusual combinations of elements, plants, buildings in space;
- maximum separation from the general view of the clarity of lines, shapes and sizes of architectural forms;
- zoning of the site due to various differences of departments of the site;
- obligatory division of the ennobled plot into certain zones;
- use for the design of differences in the relief of the site, or the creation of them artificially and further use.
Each style of landscape design requires an original color scheme, which can not be said about minimalism. Everything is very simple here - the color palette is restrained, like everything, all colors are light, brightness is very small. The most important thing is to comply with the specified color scheme.
Plants in minimalism
Minimalism has no particular preferences in plants; for many of them, minimalism intersects with other styles of landscape design:
- Trees - willow, spruce, weeping birch, chestnut, columnar juniper, various pines, blue spruce, thuja, columnar apple tree and maple;
- Shrubs - Forsythia, spiraea, snow berry, rhododendron and some other decorative and expressive shrubs;
- Flowers and perennials - Actinidia, pumpkin, and girl’s grapes are used for vertical gardening. To soften flooring and paving angles - nasturtium, cuff, primrose, marigolds, chamomile, irises, and some other native plants. Also used are sunflowers, canna, buzulnik, ferns, mosses, sedges and cereals.
Small architectural forms
Without architectural forms, not a single style of landscape design is possible, and the design of the site is impossible even without applying any style. Accordingly, minimalism has its own requirements for small architectural forms in landscape design:
- simple arbor in the form of a canopy;
- large paving sites;
- large boulders throughout the site;
- wooden flooring, preferably multi-level;
- mulch of certain areas of pebbles and rubble;
- a lot of stone, brick, concrete elements;
- several raised beds;
- possible lawn, vertical gardening;
- unusual installations of abstract forms;
- bamboo, expressive driftwood, logs;
- mirrors, balls, geometric figures in the color of light metallic;
- containers for plants - cylinders and cubes of different sizes;
- modern, simple metal furniture or the use of flooring and borders as furniture;
As you can see, at first glance everything is simple - to prepare a site, plant certain plants, arrange everything correctly according to the design project, fill the territory with a certain number of small architectural forms ... yes, it’s simple only at first glance, but how can this be done in practice without the necessary knowledge and experience?
Maybe it’s better to overpay a little and call a professional landscape designer to the site so that you don’t have to redo everything in the future and pay again, but more? Everyone makes his own decision, for it has the right. If there is some capital that a person is ready to invest in landscaping of his own site and arrange real minimalism there, then, of course, you should use the services of a pro, if not, and you decide to do it yourself, you should heed the advice of professional landscape designers:
- to create a minimalism style, it is possible to use any materials modern and traditional;
- difficulties can arise with plants, as this is a real art. In addition to the fact that all plants are original, it is they that are called upon to combine your whole garden into one whole, into a real composition;
- containers for plants can be of different sizes and shapes, but it is better that they are closer to the same;
- combining some of the various buildings into a single whole, such as a gazebo and barbecue complex, is considered an excellent move.
These are only individual opinions of professionals who advise on how to best manage the available resource and the site for building the desired style on it, but if you take all the advice of landscape artists into account, you can either do everything perfectly, or even get a little confused.
The main thing, the construction of any style in landscape design begins with everything - this is preparing the site, drawing up a clear design project, estimates for materials and work, confident planning, and only then the work begins.
Minimalism in landscape design (20 photos)