Thuja folded Forever Goldie every year becomes more and more popular among gardeners. The new variety quickly attracted attention. This is explained by the good characteristics of the thuja: unpretentious in terms of care and attractive to the eyes.
Description of Thuy Forever Goldie
The Forever Goldie variety was bred in a Dutch nursery in 2002. It belongs to the Cypress family.
Forever Goldie looks compact, has a cone shape and flat branches. Slow growth - in height 10-20 cm per year, in width - 5 cm. By the age of 10, it reaches 2 m in height and 1-1.5 m in width. Shoots are densely spaced, strongly flattened. The needles are soft, scaly, upward. The bark is fissured, fibrous, reddish brown, 1-2.5 cm thick.
The folded thuja is characterized as an evergreen tree or shrub.
Forever Goldie amazes with the richness of colors. In summer, thuja has light green shades, when the temperature drops to + 5 ° C in the fall, bright yellow and orange-golden colors are mixed in it. In winter, thuja takes on shades of golden mixed with yellow. This color lasts until spring. In the description of the photo of the folded thuja Forever Goldie, the orange-red color of young growths and the red-brown bark of adult plants are noted.
The use of thuja Forever Goldie in landscape design
Thuja Forever Goldie is widely used in landscape design. Together with oriental spruce, hemlock and other types of conifers of the Cypress family, they make up compositions on the garden plot. Forever Goldie tolerates urban conditions well, therefore it is often used in the design of parks and squares.
In order for the thuja to harmoniously fit into the composition, they trim the desired shape.
Forever Goldy is also used as a hedge. This variety was bred specifically for yellow hedges.
Important! The creation of a full-fledged hedge will take a long period of time. This is due to the fact that thuja grows for a very long time.
Thuja folded Forever Goldie reproduces in two ways:
The first breeding method is widespread. Growing from seeds gives a small percentage of germination. If you choose the seed method, then it will take at least 5-6 years to get a new full-fledged thuja shrub.
For Forever Goldie to easily adapt to new conditions, you need to plant it correctly. The moment when the thuja is just adapting to a new place is considered the most responsible. At this time, thuja is subject to stress, external influences from the environment. Landing will be successful if the following factors are taken into account:
- recommended disembarkation dates;
- the place and soil where the thuja is planted;
- Forever Goldie landing algorithm.
The moment is considered the best when the soil begins to thaw actively, and it ends with the time of shoots. The deadline for normal adaptation of the bush is early July. During this period of time, folded thuja adapts both to a new place and to a new climatic regime. It doesn't matter if Forever Goldie grew up in a container or is planted directly from the ground.
Site selection and soil preparation
Forever Goldie is an unpretentious variety of thuja. It grows on any soil.
But there are certain preferences: slightly acidic or neutral soil with good drainage and watering. Soil acidity pH 4.5-6.0 will be optimal for Forever Goldy. When choosing a soil for thuja, you need to rely on these data. Forever Goldi is considered a shade tolerant plant. But an area completely devoid of sunlight will affect her health badly. Therefore, areas in a lighted area with light scattering rays are suitable.
When a place is chosen and the ground is prepared, you can proceed directly to planting. It includes the following steps:
- Dig a seedling hole. The depth is 70-80 cm, the diameter is 90-100 cm. The sizes can vary in a different range, the main thing is that a clod of earth with roots freely enter the hole.
- The soil is laid at the bottom together with organic fertilizer, for example, with wood ash.
- Thuja Forever Goldie seedling is placed in a hole so that the root ball with shoots is not damaged. The root collar is positioned at ground level.
- Peat, sand, garden soil are mixed in equal proportions. Next, the hole is filled up, tamped a little.
For more information, see the video:
Growing and care rules
For Forever Goldie to develop and grow well, you need to monitor her condition, follow the rules for growing and caring for thuja. Carry out such procedures:
- top dressing;
- preparation for winter.
For Forever Goldy seedlings and mature plants, the watering schedule is essential. 10 liters (one full bucket) - the minimum amount of water required once a week. Water the root area. The most suitable times are twilight or early morning. In a hot and dry period of time, the amount of watering for thuja increases up to 2-3 times a week. At this time, sprinkling is added in the evening.
Forever Goldie needs feeding like other plants. Thanks to this, the thuja grows faster, acquires the brightness and shine of the needles, and becomes lush. For feeding use:
- Compost. You need to cultivate the soil 1-2 times at the beginning of the season or in the summer.
- Fertika, a special product for feeding evergreens. It is applied to loose soil and washed out with water.
For the first two years, Forever Goldie is not pruned. During this time, it must finally take root and adapt to new conditions after planting.
Basic rules for pruning thuja Forever Goldie:
- beginning of pruning - April;
- throughout the summer and before the onset of cold weather, repeat as needed to maintain shape;
- it is carried out only in dry weather;
- dry and diseased branches are removed before cutting;
- if growth is needed only in width, then the top is cut off completely.
With a little experience in pruning, it is best to start with simple shapes, such as "balls" or two-tiered cascades.
Preparing for winter
Thuja Forever Goldie can withstand low temperatures (down to -30 ° C). Despite this, it needs to be prepared for frost. This is especially important for young plants that need additional insulation. The covering material for thuja is a thick greenhouse film or spunbond. Gardening shops offer ready-made covers. To protect the roots, they use fallen leaves, which are covered with the surface of the earth. It is enough to protect an adult plant from the accumulation of snow on the branches and roots, and strong winds.
Pests and diseases
- Thuvaya aphid. It is a small gray-brown insect. Affects the lower part of the shoots. At the same time, the thuja begins to turn yellow and fall off.
- Thuvaya speckled moth. It looks like a butterfly, 4 mm in size. It starts the attack from the upper shoots: they turn brown and then die off.
- Gray larch leafworm. A dark caterpillar that wraps spider webs around the needles. Thuja loses its decorative appearance and may die.
For pest control, insecticides, preparations based on the active ingredient imidacloprid are used. They are processed along the crown and in the area of the roots. In addition, the affected areas are treated with soapy water, avoiding contact with the roots.
- Brown shoots. This is a fungal disease. Individual scales turn yellow, then the entire shoot turns brown and dies off. To combat the disease, the affected shoots are cut out, the plant is fed with limestone. From July to October, once every 2 weeks, spray with a 0.2% solution of foundationol.
- Drying of branches. Leaves turn yellow and fall. To eliminate it, they are sprayed with copper-containing preparations or zineb.
- Phytotofluoro. It is a root disease that destroys the top layer. Thuja fades, becomes gray, soft to the touch. Phytophthora occurs in poorly drained areas where water stagnates. For prevention, fungicides are used. When a disease appears, the plant must be destroyed, and the earth must be replaced.
- Shute and rust. The needles darken and fall off. The affected areas are cut and burned. To prevent spring thuja sprayed with a solution of HOM.
- Thuya false shield. The bark is covered with yellow sores that enlarge and cover the trunk. Thuya dies. You need to treat it with Rogor, Karbofos, Actellik, Antio.
Thuja folded Forever Goldie is great for landscape design. This is a new variety that looks great in winter. Forever Goldie is quite unpretentious in care, and also pleases the eye with its brightness and color saturation all year round.
Elena Goncharova, 35 years old, Novocherkassk
Planting and caring for the tree is not difficult: I did not forget to water, I fed it only once a year. For several years now, thuja have continued to delight. I have several of them growing: all in different places. What can not be said, but I am happy with the result. Tuya is definitely my love.
Nina Kudryakova, 45 years old, Volgograd
It so happened that the Thuyu Forever Goldie was presented to me. Before that, I had nothing to do with conifers in the garden. It turned out that everything is not so difficult. The folded thuja quickly adapted, now it makes me happy every day. One problem is pruning. I tried to give shape: nothing came of it. Only spoiled the appearance of the plant. If you already cut the thuja, then do it wisely and with certain knowledge. So it grows with me: by itself. It looks very nice!