Gooseberry jam is an amazingly tasty and easy-to-prepare dessert. Many recipes are known, but every season new items appear that are striking in their originality. There are basic rules for preparing a healthy meal.
How to make gooseberry jam properly
Jam making rules:
- Choose dishes. Optimally - a wide container so that moisture evaporation occurs actively.
- Do not cook large quantities at a time.
- Minimize the amount of sugar.
- Stir constantly during cooking.
- Monitor the temperature of the stove very closely.
- Competently determine the degree of readiness.
- Gooseberry jam can even be made with slightly unripe fruits.
Important! You can make a delicious dessert from frozen berries.
- Add sugar to taste. There are no specific criteria.
- Cooking takes place in two stages: softening the fruit, then boiling the mass to the desired state.
Fruit preparation consists of washing with clean water, removing stalks and stigmas.
It is not necessary to add gelatin to the dessert. Thanks to the small amount of sugar and the short cooking time, all the beneficial properties are preserved in it.
Rules for making gooseberry jam with berries of different colors
Agrus (another name for gooseberry) comes in different varieties with fruits of different colors. Depending on the color, they contain different amounts of vitamins, so the dessert will have the appropriate qualities.
Red gooseberry jam
The red berry is very rich in vitamins of groups B, A, E, C, P. In addition to the rich vitamin composition, they contain potassium, carotene, iron, sodium, pectins and other useful components.
Harvesting from red fruits is recommended for diseases of the digestive tract, cardiovascular and genitourinary systems.
Green gooseberry jam
Green fruits are also rich in vitamins, but are highly valued for their high content of phosphorus, carotene, and iron. Therefore, with a deficiency of these components in the body, it is considered an invaluable food for the diet.
Recommended for people with hypertension and increased fatigue.
Black gooseberry jam
This species is called "black negus". It differs from the berries of the usual color in the high content of ascorbic acid, the presence of serotonin. The second component is very important for the prevention of tumor formations.
Important! Ascorbic acid is contained in the shell of the berry, so black agrus should be consumed whole.
Black fruits are very useful for strengthening blood vessels and the nervous system.
Yellow gooseberry jam
The original kind of berry. A distinctive feature is the high content of ascorbic acid and at the same time thin skin.
Fruits, as well as preparations from them, are useful for the prevention of viral and colds manifestations, and for strengthening immunity.
A simple gooseberry jam recipe
It is necessary to prepare 3.5 kg of berries, which are rinsed under running water and left to drain off excess moisture.
Important! First, sort out the fruits and remove the spoiled ones.
- Put berries in a container with a wide bottom, pour 3 glasses of water.
- After boiling, cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Grind the hot mass through a metal sieve. Remove the peel and seeds, add 1.5 kg of sugar.
- Stir, boil for 20 minutes.
- During this time, prepare the jars (sterilize, dry).
- Fill the container with hot mass, seal.
Popular "Pyatiminutka": a recipe for gooseberry jam
For this option, fruits are not overripe, but with an elastic hard skin.
To get one jar (0.8 l) of the finished product, you will need:
- 100 ml of water;
- 0.5 kg of sugar;
- 0.6 kg of fruit.
- Peel the berries, rinse under running water, drain off excess moisture.
- Fold in a container, cover with half a dose of sugar and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- If this is not possible, the process can be easily accelerated - put the pan on a low heat, pour in water.
- After boiling, add the remaining sugar.
Important! Mix the mass only with a wooden spoon and regularly remove the foam.
- Cook the gooseberry jam for 5 minutes, set aside to cool.
- For storage in the refrigerator, the hot mixture should be immediately poured into sterile jars.
For pantry or basement, bring to a boil 2 more times.
The container must be sterilized, then filled with jam, rolled up.
Seedless gooseberry jam
- 7 kg of peeled ripe agrus;
- 3 kg of sugar;
- 1.2 liters of clean water.
- Rinse the berries, add water, cook for 10 minutes.
- When the berries are cool, put them on a sieve and rub.
- Additionally squeeze the grated berries.
- Cover the juice with granulated sugar, cook for 30 minutes.
Important! Be sure to remove the foam!
- After half an hour, remove the mixture from heat, let cool, then heat again for 30 minutes.
- Fill the jars, roll up.
The output is 5 liters of fragrant dessert.
Gooseberry jam recipe without boiling
The most vitamin option. Agrus berries, which are not boiled, contain a maximum of useful components.
The main nuance of the recipe is the increased amount of sugar (1.5 times) compared to other cooking methods.
There are only two ingredients: berries and sugar. The proportions are 1: 1.5.
- The tails are removed from the fruit, then washed and dried.
- Pass through a meat grinder, cover with sugar, mix well.
- Gooseberry jam is packed in sterile containers, covered with plastic lids.
Important! You can store dessert without cooking only in the refrigerator!
Gooseberry jam for the winter (through a meat grinder)
Harvesting through a meat grinder is very popular.
This is explained by the fact that the meat grinder does an excellent job of grinding the skin. Much better than a blender.
To diversify the taste, housewives add other ingredients, such as mint or kiwi.
For the preparation you need:
- agrus berries - 700 g;
- kiwi - 2 pcs.;
- sugar - 0.5 kg;
- fresh mint - 4 branches.
- Wash the agrus fruits, peel the kiwi fruit, mince everything.
- Put the chopped mixture on low heat.
- After boiling, add mint, sugar and cook for 30 minutes.
Important! You can tie the mint in a bunch to make it easier to remove from the mixture.
- After cooking, take out the mint sprigs, pour the hot dessert into sterile jars.
Gooseberry jam with whole berries
This cooking method has its own characteristics:
- Prepared berries are pricked with a sharp object: a toothpick, a needle.
- The fruits are not boiled, but insisted in syrup.
And now for more details.
- Wash the fruits, remove the tails and stalks, prick with a needle.
- For syrup, combine 1.5 kg of sugar and 0.5 liters of pure water.
- Cook until thick.
- Continuing to boil the syrup, add the agrus berries.
- Remove immediately from the stove, cover with a lid, allow to cool to room temperature.
- Then put the berries in a colander, put the syrup on the stove.
- Bring to a boil, put the gooseberries back in, let cool.
- Repeat 3-4 times.
Important! You cannot stir the mixture - the berries are gently shaken in a saucepan.
When the fruits fall asleep for the last time, they need to be cooked with syrup for at least half an hour. Then pack up the hot jam and roll it up.
Thick gooseberry jam with pectin or gelatin
There are two options for making jam with gelatin:
- with whole berries;
- with chopped in a meat grinder.
For the recipe you will need:
- 1 kg of berries;
- 100 g gelatin;
- 0.5 kg of sugar;
- 1 glass of water.
- Mix sugar with water, heat the syrup to a boil, lay the berry base.
- Boil whole berries for 20 minutes, chopped berries - 10 minutes.
- Soak gelatin, add to the mixture, warm to a boil, pack in sterile jars.
- Be sure to wrap it up for slow cooling.
Gooseberry jam in a slow cooker
This method of cooking gooseberry jam eliminates the need for regular stirring of the mixture against sticking.
- red agrus (fruits) - 1 kg;
- water - 4 tbsp. l .;
- sugar - 5 glasses.
- In the "Stew" mode, bring the syrup from water and 1 glass of sugar to a boil, add berries.
- Cook with the lid closed for 15 minutes. Proceed to the next stage only when all the berries burst.
- In this state, grind them in a blender, cover with the remaining sugar, cook for 30 minutes with the lid open.
- Pour hot into prepared jars and roll up.
Gooseberry jam in a bread machine
Take fruits and sugar in a 1: 1 ratio.
- Peel, wash, cut the berries, remove the seeds.
- Place the berries in the container of the bread machine, cover with granulated sugar, turn on the appropriate mode - "Jam".
- After the end of the program, seal the mass in sterile jars.
Gooseberry Jam Recipes with Oranges and Lemons
The addition of citrus or other fruits gives the dessert an original taste and aroma. Therefore, the housewives are happy to change the ingredients in order to diversify the workpieces.
Simple Gooseberry Orange Jam
The orange mix is the most popular.
For 1 kg of agrus berries, 2 ripe oranges and 1.2 kg of sugar are enough.
- Gooseberries are cooked as usual.
- The oranges are immersed in boiling water for 2 minutes, then cut into slices, and the seeds are removed.
- Both ingredients are passed through a meat grinder (you can use a blender), covered with sugar.
- Boil for 10 minutes, roll up in sterile jars.
How to make orange and lemon gooseberry jam
The rules and order of preparation are similar to the previous recipe. You just need to add 2 lemons.
- The oranges are peeled, the peels of the lemons are not cut off, and the seeds are removed in both fruits.
- Twist the agrus together with citrus fruits in a meat grinder, cover with sugar, boil for 45 minutes.
Important! The mixture is stirred periodically with a wooden spatula.
- The container is filled with ready-made jam and rolled up.
Gooseberry jam with orange and raisins
The amount of agrus berries, sugar and oranges remains the same. Additionally, you need to prepare a glass of raisins.
- Cook the berries with 3 tablespoons of water until soft, rub through a sieve.
- Peel the oranges, cut the pulp into pieces, rinse the raisins well.
- Add raisins, orange slices to gooseberry jelly, bring to a boil.
- Add sugar, cook for 30 minutes until thickened.
- Pour the finished dessert into jars, seal.
Gooseberry, orange and banana jam
Add to the list of ingredients for gooseberry orange jam:
- 1 ripe banana
- 4 cloves buds;
- 1 tsp dry mustard.
The finished dessert will have a taste with spicy notes.
- Grind gooseberries, add chopped orange without peels and seeds, banana pieces.
- Pour in sugar, leave the mixture for 2 hours.
- Then add spices, put the container on fire.
- After boiling, cook for 5-7 minutes, roll up in sterile jars.
Gooseberry jam with orange and kiwi
For this recipe, add 4 kiwis.
- So that the gooseberry dessert does not acquire bitterness, it is imperative to peel the kiwi with orange, and also remove the seeds from them.
- Grind all the fruits, mix, cover with granulated sugar, leave for 3 hours to infuse.
Important! Readiness is determined by the degree of sugar dissolution.
- Put the mass on low heat, bring to a boil.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Then cool and repeat the procedure.
- So repeat several times until the mixture thickens.
Jars are filled with slightly cooled jam.
How to make gooseberry jam with lemon
For 2 kg of agrus fruits, you need to take:
- 1 lemon;
- 2.5 kg of sugar;
- 3 glasses of water.
- Wash and peel the gooseberries.
- Remove the seeds from the lemon, cut the citrus into pieces.
- Grind the berries and lemon in a meat grinder.
- Cover with sugar, leave for 3-4 hours.
- Cook for 15 minutes, roll up in sterile jars.
Recipes for making gooseberry jam for the winter in combination with other berries
The variety of options allows you to choose a recipe for every taste.
Raspberry and gooseberry jam
For 1 kg of gooseberries, 0.3 kg of raspberries and 0.7 kg of sugar are enough.
- Grind the agrus in a meat grinder, mix with sugar.
- Prepare raspberry puree with an immersion blender, add to the gooseberries.
- Cook over low heat for 7 minutes.
- Pour hot and roll up the cans.
Gooseberry and currant jam recipe
Take the same amount of agrus, currants and sugar (1 kg each).
- Grate the currants through a sieve, chop the gooseberries.
- Mix berries with sugar.
- Cook over low heat for 40 minutes, then fill the jars and seal.
Cherry and gooseberry jam
- 1 kg of cherries;
- 0.2 kg of gooseberries;
- 150 g of water;
- 1.1 kg of sugar.
- Remove seeds from cherries, chop berries, cover with sugar, cook for 30 minutes on low heat.
- Cook the agrus, rub through a sieve, cook the juice for 7 minutes, add to the cherry.
- Stir, cook for 5 minutes.
- Fill sterile jars, roll up.
How to make gooseberry and strawberry jam
- 0.5 kg of strawberries and agrus berries;
- 60 ml of water;
- 0.7 kg of sugar.
- Boil gooseberries in water, grind.
- Add strawberries, cook the mix for 15 minutes, add sugar in parts.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Pour into jars, let cool slightly, roll up.
Terms and rules for storing gooseberry jam
Gooseberry jam contains a lot of sugar. This allows the dessert to be stored for 2 years in a cool place.
Jam without cooking is stored only in the refrigerator for 3-4 months.
Attention! These times are recommended only for blanks with proper container sterilization.
Gooseberry jam is a delicious dessert that retains many vitamins. By combining different types of berries, you can vary the recipes endlessly.