Sauerkraut is a simple and affordable type of homemade preparations that can be obtained at any time of the year. Depending on the recipe, the preparation time ranges from one day to three days.
Sauerkraut is a component of vegetable salads, it is added to cabbage soup, stuffed cabbage is made with it, and pies are baked. Due to the lack of heat treatment, vitamins and other useful substances are preserved in it. Subject to the recipe, such blanks can be stored for 8 months.
Due to fermentation, cabbage is preserved throughout the winter. It is most convenient to store it in 3 liter jars. Therefore, recipes are used for sourdough, in which the required amount of products is given to fill one jar.
To get a tasty snack or component for other dishes, you need to follow these guidelines:
- you need to choose white varieties;
- there should be no cracks or damage on the cabbage;
- before cutting the head, you need to remove the wilted leaves;
- varieties of medium and late ripening are best processed;
- originally, cabbage was fermented in wooden barrels, today glass or plastic dishes are also used for this purpose;
- if brine is used, then the vegetables must be completely in it;
- fermentation processes are accelerated when the temperature rises from 17 to 25 degrees;
- for fermentation, vegetables are placed under a load in the form of a stone or glass vessels;
- it is allowed to ferment without load if the cabbage layers are tightly tamped in the jar;
- the finished snack is stored in the refrigerator or in the underground at a temperature of +1 degrees;
- sauerkraut contains vitamins B and C, fiber, iron, calcium and other microelements.
Advice! Cabbage is not recommended to be included in the diet for problems with the stomach, gallbladder and kidneys.
The traditional way to get sauerkraut in a 3 liter jar is to use carrots, salt, sugar, and a minimal set of spices.
- White cabbage (2 kg) is cut in any convenient way (using a knife, vegetable cutter or blender).
- The prepared slices are placed in a container, after which sugar is added (1 tbsp. L.).
- The vegetables are ground by hand and salt is added little by little (2 tablespoons). Periodically you need to check it for taste. The cabbage should remain slightly salty.
- Carrots (2 pcs.) Need to be peeled and grated on a coarse grater. Then it is placed in a common container.
- For sourdough, add a little dill and dry caraway seeds.
- The vegetable mixture is tamped into a 3 liter jar.
- Then close it with a lid and put it on a plate.
- You need to ferment vegetables for three days by placing them in a warm place.
- Several times during the day, the cabbage is pierced to the bottom of the can to release gases.
- After the specified time, you can serve the appetizer to the table. If the blank is intended for winter, then it is removed to a cool place.
For starter, you can prepare a brine, which requires water, salt, sugar and spices. This is one of the easiest sauerkraut recipes:
- To fill a three-liter jar, you need 2 kg of cabbage. For convenience, it is better to take two heads of cabbage, 1 kg each, which are chopped into thin strips.
- Carrots (1 pc.) Need to be peeled and grated.
- The vegetables are mixed, and they try not to crush them, then they are placed in a jar with a capacity of no more than three liters.
- According to the recipe, the next step is to prepare the marinade. Pour 1.5 liters of water into a container and put it to boil. Salt and sugar (2 tablespoons each), allspice (3 pieces) and bay leaf (2 pieces) are added to hot water.
- After the brine has cooled down, they are poured with a vegetable mixture.
- The jar is placed next to the battery or in another warm place. It is recommended to put a deep plate under it.
- Cabbage is fermented for 3 days, after which it is transferred to the balcony.
- The total time to complete readiness is a week.
Sauerkraut with honey
When honey is added, the snack acquires a sweet and sour taste. The process of its preparation includes several stages:
- Finely chopped cabbage with a total weight of 2 kg.
- Then you need to peel one carrot, which I grind with a regular grater or blender.
- I mix the prepared components, and you can slightly mash them by hand.
- Vegetables are tamped tightly in a 3-liter jar.
- After that, you can proceed to the preparation of the brine. Boil 1 liter of water in a container, add salt (1 tablespoon), bay leaf (2 pieces), allspice (4 pieces) and honey (2 tablespoons).
- I cool the finished brine and pour it into a jar.
- I ferment cabbage for 3-4 days. Previously, a deep container is placed under the jar.
- When fermenting, you need to periodically pierce the vegetables with a knife to ensure the release of gases.
The appetizer turns out to be very tasty if you ferment vegetables with honey and spices. Then the recipe for sauerkraut takes the following form:
- Cooking should start with the marinade so that it has time to cool down a little. Pour 1 liter of water into a saucepan, bring it to a boil. Salt and honey (1.5 tbsp each), caraway seeds, anise, dill seeds (1/2 tsp each) are added to hot water.
- Cabbage (2 kg) is cut into strips.
- Carrots (1 pc.) Of medium size need to be grated on a coarse grater.
- Mix the vegetables, and you need to crush them a little by hand.
- Then the resulting mass is placed in a jar and poured with warm brine.
- A day after the cabbage has been fermented, it can be served. Winter blanks are removed in a cool place.
When adding beets, the snack acquires a bright burgundy color and an unusual taste. The fermentation process in a 3 liter jar includes the following steps:
- Cabbage with a total weight of 2 kg must be cut into strips.
- Beets (150 g) are cut in any way: cubes or strips.
- Carrots (1 pc.) Need to be peeled and chopped.
- The vegetables are mixed and placed in a jar.
- To make the cabbage fermented faster, prepare the pickle. Add chopped garlic (2 cloves), vinegar (1 cup), vegetable oil (0.2 l), sugar (100 g) and salt (2 tablespoons) to a saucepan with water.
- Pour warm brine into a container with cabbage and put a load on top.
- We ferment vegetables for 3 days.
- The resulting snack is enough to fill a three-liter jar.
Pepper and Tomato Recipe
Sauerkraut can be cooked along with other vegetables. The most delicious is the combination of cabbage, bell peppers and tomatoes. Such a snack is obtained by following the following recipe:
- Cabbage in the amount of 1.5 kg needs finely chopped.
- Cut carrots and tomatoes (2 pcs.) Into slices.
- I peel sweet peppers (2 pcs.) And cut them into strips.
- I push the garlic (3 cloves) through a press or a special garlic press. Then I cook one bunch of greens - parsley, cilantro and dill, which are finely chopped.
- Add salt (30 g) to boiling water (1/2 l) and stir until it is completely dissolved.
- Prepared vegetables (cabbage, tomatoes and peppers) are placed in a container in layers. Between them I make a layer of carrots and garlic.
- When the brine has cooled, I pour it into a container with vegetables. I put oppression on top.
- I ferment vegetables for three days, after which I store them in a 3-liter jar.
Adding apples will help diversify the traditional recipe. This recipe does not require the preparation of brine. For the dish to ferment, the components' own juice is enough without preparing the brine.
- Cabbage (2 kg) is cut into strips.
- Carrots and apples (2 pcs.) Are chopped in a blender or with a grater.
- Mix vegetables in a large container with the addition of salt (5 tsp).
- The resulting mass is tamped so that the 3-liter can is completely filled.
- The jar is placed in a deep container, a small load is placed on top. Its functions will be performed by a glass of water.
- For the next three days, the vegetable mass is left to ferment at room temperature.
- When the cabbage is fermented, you can put the jar in the refrigerator for permanent storage.
First courses are prepared from sauerkraut, it is added to salads and side dishes. Blanks can be made throughout the year. It is most convenient to fill one three-liter jar, and when the snack comes to an end, you can try new recipes.
Sauerkraut takes place in a warm place. First you need to cut vegetables, add salt, sugar and spices. Honey, beets, apples give the blanks an unusual taste. You can add caraway seeds, bay leaves, allspice, dill seeds or herbs to taste.