It is difficult to imagine a well-maintained summer cottage without beautiful paths. Combining a country path made of natural stone and vegetation into one composition is a difficult but interesting task for every inveterate summer resident.
The first step is to design the structure (at least draw a sketch). When the exact place and direction has already been determined, all the wishes of relatives are taken into account, you can begin to implement the project. Do not forget that the garden trail should not only decorate the summer cottage, but also function for its intended purpose.
For the cottage you need a design that will last a long time. Therefore, to create it, it is better to choose a material such as brick, tile, natural stone, gravel, concrete or tree saw cuts. Let us consider in more detail the use of stone to create garden paths.
Advantages and disadvantages of stone garden paths
The main advantage of natural stone is its environmental friendliness. The material does not contain harmful substances, which means it is safe for human health. At the same time, it does not deform under the influence of moisture, is durable and wear-resistant. Another plus is worth noting the beautiful appearance of the material. Nature offers many textures and shades that can satisfy even the most demanding taste.
How to make a path from natural stone
As for the shortcomings, it is only one - a high price. But a huge number of positive features compensate for this minus.
Comparative characteristics of natural stone with other materials
Why is it recommended to use natural stone to create garden paths? Compare it with other materials in the table, and the answer becomes obvious.
|Material Name||general description||pros||Minuses|
|A natural stone||Solid rock composed of individual minerals||It is used in chipped, sawn and unprocessed form, the texture can be different, out of competition in strength and durability, it is highly environmentally friendly||Limited in color, but different breeds can be used.|
|Concrete monolithic coating||Monolithic concrete used as a coating||It can be used for a driveway or for those areas in which you are on the site most often||Plays to other materials according to external data|
|Concrete stone||Concrete stone used as a substitute for natural||It has different shapes and sizes.||High price|
|Concrete tile||Tiles made of concrete are widely used in construction||Rich variety of sizes and shapes||Fragility|
|Brick brick||Well-burnt clay||High strength||Dear material, the color scheme is small|
|Wood||Natural material obtained from trees|
Environmentally friendly material
Low strength, fragility
Types and features of the choice of material for styling
Stone paths in the garden are usually made of sandstone, pebbles, chipped granite pavers and some other rocks. Different breeds give a completely different design.
The simplest solution. Inexpensive material is easy to get, and even a beginner can cope with its installation. There are two ways to pave tracks with this stone:
- Sand and gravel are laid on pre-prepared soil. After enclosing the necessary area and pouring concrete. Then, pebbles are laid randomly directly into the concrete.
- Creating an ornament that goes in several stages. First, a pattern of patterns is drawn on the cement-sand mixture, then pebbles are laid, one pebble after another. In addition, each pebble must be put on the edge. After that, a cement-sand mixture is applied directly to the pattern. Then the surface of the path is wiped with a sponge dipped in water.
Granite paving stones
It does not look elegant, but will last a long time. It is very easy to lay rectangular blocks. If you are new to summer cottage construction, it is worth doing a rectangular path according to the pattern.
The breed of gray-green color is usually inexpensive, and its appearance is very attractive. Before laying sandstone, it is necessary to put a curb. Then it remains to lay the stone and sprinkle it with soil. Then the track will organically fit into the design of the site. Lawn grass is often planted between the slits of the flagstone, as a result of which the path looks even more original.
So, if you decide to create a path for a stone garden, there are many ways to realize your ideas, it remains to choose the option that suits you. How to act a beginner? First of all, in stages, and for a start, you should prepare the base for laying the material.
Foundation preparation is a simple process. Along the planned trajectory, the topsoil is removed, it is important that the trench has the same depth along the entire length. Next, the sides are installed. It is advisable to lay boards at the bottom of the trench, compact them and sprinkle with sand. Then gravel and gravel mixed with cement or sand are poured into the pit. After moisten the structure and perform tampering. Then you can lay the stone itself.
Stages of creating stone paths
The first step will be marking the territory. The selected place is cleared of weeds, cobblestones, roots. A thick fishing line or thread is stretched. In place of the future track, the top layer of the earth is removed up to 16 cm thick.
The second step is to lay the stone. It can be performed in three ways:
- On a sandy base. The material is placed in a pre-laid track of sand and rammed. The solution is used only as a grout between the elements. Such a cottage pavement is short-lived, as stones can be knocked out of the path, in particular under load.
- On a concrete basis. The solution is applied to the sand with a layer of about 15 centimeters, stones are immediately laid and, after everything is dry, the seams are closed. The landscape element will last a very long time, but only if the solution is prepared efficiently.
- Highly artistic way. The stones are laid directly on the ground, their contours are circled, a hole is dug for each element, sand is laid in it, and the stone itself is laid on top, then the structure is rammed. You can lay out the elements in different ways: broken lines, chain, straight. After some time, grass will begin to grow between the stones, and this will give a special charm to the path.
The finished path can be decorated on the sides with lamps, decorative borders, you can also put portable flower beds nearby or plant bushes.
The general view of the paths and country design is characterized by two styles:
- classic (there are various shrubs or plants near the country paths);
- landscape (combination of paths with the natural landscape: alpine hills, ponds, bridges and swings).
Paving options and types of stones for creating paths are chosen by the owner of the site primarily depending on his personal taste. The design of the tracks also depends on the preferences of the owner of the cottage. So, you can highlight the paths with the help of lawn grass so that they look more natural, or plant annuals, shrubs and perennials near them.
Laying a backlit garden path
It is not difficult to take care of garden paths, it will be enough to periodically clean them in any convenient way, and if slate was used during the manufacture of the path, it should be soaked with water-repellent agents.