In most cases, green zucchini is understood as zucchini - a variety of zucchini bred in Italy and appeared in Russia relatively recently, several decades ago. Zucchini has a number of properties and characteristics that allowed it to quickly gain popularity among gardeners and widespread in plots and gardens. Despite the fact that zucchini is, in fact, also a zucchini, clearly expressed features actually make it a separate culture. This statement, of course, does not apply to rigorous science, but it is convenient in everyday communication and in describing agricultural techniques and methods of growing for a wide range of amateur gardeners.
Description and properties
All zucchini, including zucchini and squash, are classified as a bush variety of common pumpkin, which has characteristic rather large elongated fruits. The most common variety in recent years has become zucchini (or green squash). Compared to conventional ones, they have a number of distinct features.
Differences between zucchini and ordinary zucchini
Despite many common properties and traits, green zucchini, otherwise called zucchini, also have quite serious differences from the usual:
- color. Regular zucchini are usually white or light green in color. Zucchini in most cases are dark green or other shades of green, in addition, they often have a striped or similar pattern;
- taste. Green zucchini have a more delicate taste, which makes it possible to eat them raw with minimal heat treatment;
- early maturity and productivity. Zucchini begins to bear fruit much earlier than ordinary zucchini - in June. In addition, due to constant fruiting, they are much more productive (24 times), which is one of the main advantages of the culture;
- fruit size and skin. Zucchini rarely reach 25 cm, moreover, they often simply do not have time to grow, since early they acquire excellent taste, most pronounced in fruits 15-20 cm in size.The zucchini peel is thin and delicate, which makes it possible to eat it, which is practically impossible in zucchini with a thick and hard skin;
- care requirements. Growing green zucchini successfully requires a little more care than regular zucchini. Zucchini are more in need of moisture and warmth, however, given that zucchini is one of the most unassuming crops, zucchini is also quite undemanding when compared to the vast majority of other garden plants.
Properties and benefits of green zucchini
You can list the minerals, vitamins and other useful components contained in zucchini for a long time. But the specific benefits brought by the vegetable for certain vital systems of the human body look much more convincing:
- digestion. The fiber contained in zucchini in large quantities has an extremely beneficial effect on the functioning of the gastrointestinal tract, allowing you to solve many problems associated with digestion;
- weight loss. Zucchini is included in the vast majority of diets aimed at reducing weight and blood cholesterol levels. Such close attention of nutritionists is caused by a complex of properties of green zucchini: minimal calorie content, lack of fat in the composition and high water content. Taken together, it helps prevent overeating combined with maximum benefits. Steamed zucchini is especially useful in this sense;
- immunity, anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer qualities. A high degree of concentration of vitamin C, as well as the content of ascorbic acid, significantly increase human immunity and its ability to withstand many diseases, in particular, asthma, arthritis, cancer, diabetes - the list goes on for quite a long time. This property is especially important in the autumn-winter period, when the pressure of infectious and viral diseases is high on the body. They, as well as cancer, are successfully resisted by the presence of antioxidants in zucchini, which are extremely useful for these purposes;
- eyes. The lutein and zaxanthine contained in green zucchini have an extremely beneficial effect on the organs of vision, being, moreover, a prophylactic agent against age-related ophthalmic diseases.
Most of the above useful properties of zucchini are not known to a wide range of amateur gardeners who grow green zucchini, primarily because of their wonderful taste.
But green zucchini can also cause some health damage. This applies to people with kidney and gallbladder diseases. The use of zucchini is contraindicated for them.
The best varieties of green zucchini
Currently, domestic gardeners are offered a wide selection of various varieties and hybrids of green zucchini, both domestic and foreign.
Green zucchini Aeronaut has a compact structure of a bush with a small number of lashes. The female type of flowering predominates. The plant has a short main shoot. The aeronaut can be grown both in the open field and in greenhouses, reaching a yield of about 7 kg / sq. m. It belongs to the early maturing varieties, the first fruits bears in 45 days. The shape of the fruit is cylindrical with a smooth surface. The fruit is a dark green zucchini, a pattern is possible, which is a number of small light green dots. Fruits can weigh up to 1.3 kg. The flesh of the fruit is whitish-yellow in color. The variety is versatile and edible in any form. Due to the combination of a fairly high yield, unpretentiousness and good taste, the Aeronaut variety is one of the most widespread and popular in Russia.
The variety of green zucchini Delicacy belongs to the bush, bearing dark green fruits. It is a high-yielding mid-season variety, the first fruits of which ripen in 55 days. The shape of the leaves is slightly corrugated, they are of medium size. Fruits of regular cylindrical shape, rather large, reach a length of 30-35 cm with a usual weight of 1.2-2 kg.
The taste qualities of the Delikates variety, first of all, are manifested during canning, although zucchini can be used in other types as well.
The zucchini variety Long-fruited is an early ripening variety that bears the first fruits after 45 days. Like most green zucchini, it has a compact structure with short strings, the number of which is small. The fruits are green or pale green in color, have a ribbed cylinder shape and are relatively small in size, reaching a weight of 0.9-1.7 kg. The Long-fruited variety is most suitable for growing in the open field.
One of the popular varieties of zucchini Tsukesha, quite fruitful (12 kg of fruits per bush), is suitable for growing both indoors using film coatings and in open ground.
It has the ability, rare for green zucchini, not to lose taste and not become rough even in the outgrowing field, which makes it convenient for growing by gardeners who visit their plots only on weekends. Refers to early ripening varieties (fruiting - after 45-50 days). The weight of the fetus, as a rule, does not reach 1 kg. The variety allows long-term storage, in addition, it is universal, perfectly suited for both salting and canning and fresh consumption.
The zucchini variety Zebra is one of the most famous varieties of green zucchini due to its original color. The plant has a compact structure, a short main shoot and a small number of lashes. This variety of green zucchini reaches a yield of 9 kg / sq. Zucchini Zebra are suitable both for growing in the open field and in the conditions of film shelters in greenhouses or greenhouses. The variety belongs to the early maturing, the first harvest ripens in 38 days. The fruits have a classic cylindrical shape, a slightly ribbed surface and, most importantly, distinguishing from a large number of other varieties, the property is a characteristic pattern, which is an alternation of stripes of dark green and light green colors. Zucchini are relatively small in size, rarely exceeding a weight of 0.5 kg.
In addition to a remarkable and extremely original appearance, the variety also has a high degree of cold resistance and the ability to restore growth and fruiting when favorable conditions occur.
The huge popularity of the Zebra variety is caused not only by color, but also by the high yield achieved with unpretentious care. In addition, the variety of green zucchini Zebra has excellent taste, being versatile, perfect for consumption in any form.
A variety of green zucchini with an original color in the form of a light green net. Refers to the early ripening, allowing you to harvest as early as 35 days. Like most green zucchini, it has a compact bush shape. In addition to the original color, the fruit also has a ribbed surface and relatively small size - weight - 0.5-0.6 kg, length usually does not exceed 18 cm. Fruits have a characteristic white-cream pulp.
The Cavili green zucchini hybrid belongs to the ultra-early varieties that bear fruit after 35 days. Fruits, as a rule, have a regular cylinder shape, white-greenish color and small size, which rarely exceed 22-25 cm in length. The most pleasant taste is acquired by fruits that have a size of 16-22 cm, at this time they are best harvested. They have the properties of parthenocarpic plants, that is, they bear fruit with low insect activity in rainy and cold weather. They have a fairly long (more than 2 months) fruiting period. The Cavili green zucchini hybrid can be grown both outdoors and indoors in greenhouses or greenhouses.
One of the highest yielding zucchini varieties Kuand bred for cultivation in open and closed ground. With the correct application of agrotechnical methods, its yield can reach 22.6 kg / sq. m.
Kuand belongs to mid-season varieties of green zucchini, ripening at 52-55 days. The variety is universal and can be used in food in any form: fresh, canned or after heat treatment. In addition to the listed advantages, it has a weak susceptibility to diseases of powdery mildew and rot.
The variety of presented fruits of green zucchini allows any gardener to easily choose the option that best meets their requirements and meets existing requests.