Tomatoes are one of the most popular crops. It is not surprising that breeders are constantly working to improve the properties of existing varieties and develop new ones. Thanks to Russian scientists, a new hybrid appeared - tomato Red Red, the characteristics and description of the variety of which testify to its high consumer properties.
Gardeners immediately appreciated the early ripening ability and high yield of F1 tomato. The variety has become widespread, mainly for cultivation in greenhouses.
Features of the variety
Tomato F1 is one of the first generation hybrids. The variety is self-pollinating, which makes it convenient for greenhouse cultivation. The specific features of the hybrid F1 variety have not yet been fully fixed in the genotype. Without observing the purity of pollination, its subsequent generations will eventually lose their characteristic features, which must be taken into account in the cultivar's agricultural technology. If you need to obtain high-quality seed, you need to grow F1 tomato in isolation from other varieties of tomatoes. Seeds isolated in this way will have all the characteristics of the variety.
Indeterminate bushes with Red Red reach a height of two meters, forming a very flexible and strong stem. The brushes form up to 7 fruits with an average weight of about 200 g. On the lower shoots, the fruits are even larger - up to 300 g. The yield with good care is high - 7-8 kg of tomatoes can be obtained from the bush, but the average indicators are not bad - 5-6 kg with bush. Lush bushes of Red Red F1 tomatoes with abundant tops require tying. The leaves are deep green and small in size. In the southern regions, the F1 tomato can be grown outdoors. In such beds, the hybrid variety forms bushes with more compact sizes. The first ripe tomatoes appear by the end of June, and the fruiting of the bushes continues until the autumn frosts.
Important! Tomatoes of the Red Red variety, according to reviews, tolerate cold and insufficient humidity well, but are sensitive to timely feeding.
Description of fruits
The features of the fruit of the hybrid F1 variety include:
- their rounded, slightly flattened shape with slight ribbing at the base;
- thin but tough skin that protects tomatoes from cracking;
- bright deep red color of tomatoes, corresponding to the name of the variety Red red;
- juicy fleshy pulp with a sugary structure;
- a small number of seeds;
- sweet, slightly sour taste;
- high keeping quality and transportability of tomatoes;
- the ability to ripen at room temperature;
- versatility in application - tomatoes are good both fresh and in blanks.
In greenhouses equipped with a heating system, tomato Red Red F1 reviews are advised to be planted with seeds at the end of March. When growing in film greenhouses, you need to prepare seedlings in advance.
The timing of sowing seeds of the Red Red variety for seedlings depends on the climatic conditions of the region. The seedlings of the hybrid variety will be ready for transplanting to greenhouse beds in about 2 months, and the soil in the greenhouse by this time should already be warmed up to +10. Since the seedlings of the F1 variety will quickly begin to stretch, you should not overexpose them in the box - this will affect the yield of tomato bushes.
When selecting seed, it should be taken into account that seeds that were harvested two years ago have a higher germination capacity. Commercial seeds of hybrid F1 variety are subject to a disinfection procedure, so it is enough to treat them with a growth stimulator. But many reviews of the Red Red tomato are advised to soak the seeds for a short time before sowing in a weak solution of potassium permanganate.
It is better to choose medium-sized boxes for growing tomato seedlings. To obtain high-quality seedlings of the F1 variety, you need to prepare a nutritious soil consisting of turf soil mixed with humus. Summer residents are advised to take garden land in areas where nettles usually grow. To ensure greater lightness and airiness of the soil, a little sand can be added to it, and wood ash can be added to increase its nutritional value.
Having filled up the soil in the boxes, it is necessary to spill it well. Sowing of seeds of hybrid F1 variety is carried out the next day:
- they are buried 1.5-2.0 cm and the box is covered with foil;
- for rapid seed germination, the description of the tomato variety Red Red recommends constantly maintaining the temperature in the room +25 degrees;
- as soon as the first sprouts of F1 tomatoes hatch, the boxes must be placed on the windowsill in order to increase the degree of their illumination;
- fluorescent lamps should be used if necessary.
Picking and hardening
When the sprouts throw out a couple of leaves, they can be dived using peat pots - they reduce the likelihood of root injury. At the same time, the first feeding of F1 tomatoes with complex fertilizer should be carried out. The next one is done already before planting in the beds, about two weeks later.
Usually, from the middle of May, it is necessary to carry out the procedure for hardening the sprouts of the hybrid F1 variety, taking the pots to fresh air. The time spent on the street gradually increases, and after a few days they can be left for the whole day.
Planting seedlings in the beds
When the soil in the greenhouse is already warmed up enough, the Red Red F1 tomato is planted on the beds:
- the planting scheme should not be too dense - three seedlings in a row per 1 m are enough;
- the optimal row spacing is 1 m;
- the beds should be well loosened and the holes should be prepared by adding a little wood ash to them.
Enough space should be left between the seedlings for hilling bushes. If, as it grows, add soil to the roots, the F1 tomatoes will harden better and put down adventitious roots. They will provide the F1 tomatoes with additional nutrition.
After transplanting, the seedlings of the F1 hybrid will quickly grow. During this period, photos and reviews of those who planted a tomato with Red Red recommend the following measures:
- before the flowering period, seedlings are fed with nitrogen compounds;
- blooming bushes need to be fertilized with potassium and phosphorus salts;
- it is useful to periodically shake the trellis with F1 tomatoes to improve self-pollination;
- do not abuse organic matter, otherwise the content of nitrates in fruits will increase;
- it is important to provide an optimal microclimate in the greenhouse from 20 to 30 degrees; periodically it needs to be ventilated.
To increase the yield of the F1 hybrid, sometimes farmers artificially create a greenhouse effect in the greenhouse - increased temperature and humidity. Indeed, tomatoes bloom faster. However, this technique requires great care, as it can provoke the onset of a fungal disease.
Important! At temperatures above 35 degrees, the pollen of F1 tomatoes becomes sterile, and they cannot form new ovaries.
Organization of watering
Watering the tomato with Red Red should be moderate and carried out as the soil dries:
- in greenhouses, you can arrange drip irrigation;
- water used for irrigation must be settled;
- mulching with straw or peat will help prevent the soil from drying out;
- after each watering of tomato F1, it is necessary to loosen the soil in order to increase its air permeability;
- timely weeding of beds from weeds is also important.
Formation of bushes
As the F1 tomato seedlings grow, they need to be properly formed:
- gardeners recommend leaving one stem for more efficient growth;
- shoots growing above the third brush must be removed;
- trimming small flowers stimulates the formation of new ovaries;
- reviews and photos of a tomato with Red Red F1 indicate the practice of pinching the growth point in order to stop the excessive growth of the stem;
- removing the lower leaves will increase the light level of the bushes, which is favorable for the accumulation of sugar content.
Plants of the F1 variety need careful tying of the main stem and other shoots and even fruits:
- the first garter must be performed within a few days after planting the seedlings in the beds;
- subsequent garters are carried out approximately every 10 days.
The advice of experienced gardeners recommend tying the bush with twine at the very base, and throwing one of the ends over the trellis. Growing stems of tomatoes in Red Red, as the description and photos show, are periodically simply twisted around the twine.
Features of harvesting F1 tomatoes are that:
- regular removal of already ripe fruits increases the yield of the bushes, the collection should be carried out every 1-2 days;
- ripe fruits remaining on the branches retard the growth and ripening of others;
- the last crop should be harvested before night frosts.
Disease and pest control
Tomato Red Red has good resistance to diseases such as spotting, various types of rot, fusarium. However, timely prevention will increase the safety of the fetus:
- you can not plant tomato seedlings in the beds where potatoes or eggplant grew;
- for F1 tomatoes, precursors such as carrots, legumes, dill are useful;
- the soil before planting tomato seedlings must be treated with copper sulfate;
- if there are signs of a disease, it is urgent to remove the affected parts of the plants and treat them with copper-containing preparations.
To protect F1 tomatoes from pests will help:
- regular weeding of the beds;
- manual collection of pests;
- treatment of tomato bushes with ammonia is effective against slugs;
- spraying with soapy water with the addition of dry mustard destroys aphids;
- to cope with tomato pests with Red Red F1, reviews are advised with the help of a solution of potassium permanganate, infusions and decoctions of onion husks, celandine.
Numerous reviews of the Red Red variety indicate the unanimous recognition of the positive characteristics of the F1 hybrid by gardeners and summer residents.
Korotaev Georgy, 65 years old, Kaluga
Tomato seeds with Red Red are distinguished by excellent germination. If the F1 seedlings are provided with additional fertilizing in time, they grow quickly and show high yields. Recommended to all my friends for excellent taste and unpretentious care.
Plotnikova Daria, 53 years old, Krasnodar
This year I decided to try a new tomato variety Red Red. Reviews for it are only positive. I grew it in seedlings and got an excellent harvest - the fruits are all large, bright red, just a sight for sore eyes. The taste is also pleasing, tomatoes are good both in salads and in blanks. I am also going to plant an F1 hybrid next year.
Brotsky Oleg, 78 years old, Klin
I have been growing F1 tomatoes for the second year in a greenhouse. They produce tall, powerful bushes that must be tied up. Under the weight of the fruit, the brushes break off, so I also tie up the brushes. Drip irrigation is most effective. Tomatoes have a pleasant, sugary taste, and a slight sourness is felt. They do not crack when canned. I recommend this variety to everyone.
Makarenko Klara, 48 years old, Astrakhan
For the second year in the country, under the film, we plant a tomato with Red Red. We are very satisfied with the F1 variety - high yield, large fruits, excellent taste. This hybrid does not require laborious maintenance - it is important to provide fertile soil and timely watering. An excellent variety.
If you use these recommendations, you can grow a tasty and fruitful Red Red tomato without much difficulty.