In summer, the garden is full of fresh vegetables and herbs. They are present in different dishes every day. And in winter, people are deficient in vitamins, so they rush to the shops to buy something. As a rule, fresh vegetables, including zucchini, "bite" in winter.
If you have a lot of zucchini grown, then you can freeze them, thereby preserving all the nutrients and vitamins. Our article will be devoted to how to freeze zucchini for the winter at home. We will offer you different options and ways to avoid mistakes.
What vegetables are suitable for freezing
For freezing, you can use zucchini at any "age". Vegetables should have a healthy skin without damage or rot. Many housewives are interested in whether it is possible to take zucchini plucked in advance for freezing. No, this cannot be done, since they have already wilted, have lost their elasticity.
Vegetables with a hardened skin are also not suitable, since the flesh in them is coarse, it is poorly stored in the freezer.
Important! If you plan on freezing squash, stop watering the plant a week before.
General rules for preparing vegetables
Regardless of how you freeze fresh zucchini in the fridge freezer, the preparation rules are always the same:
- Since the fruits are on the ground, there will definitely be dirt on them. Therefore, first they are washed in several waters directly with the peel. Then remove the stalk and the place where the flower was.
- Lay out the vegetable preparation on a clean napkin to dry.
- When asked whether it is possible to freeze zucchini with seeds, the answer is no. The vegetable needs to be cleaned not only of seeds and pulp, but also to cut off the tough and dense peel.
That is, perhaps, all you need to know about preparing zucchini for freezing for the winter.
Freezing zucchini for the winter is ideal for keeping fresh vegetables. They can be used to prepare various dishes, including baby food. After all, zucchini has long been considered a dietary product.
- Washed zucchini is cut in a certain way.
- Excess liquid is removed.
- Blanch if necessary.
- They are laid out in different containers - plastic containers, cellophane bags for freezing zucchini, from which excess air must be removed.
You can cut a vegetable that looks like a keg in different ways. Everything will depend on what you cook from the zucchini in winter.
- If you will be frying, making complex sandwiches or making pizza, it is best to cut the zucchini into rings for freezing. They should be no more than 1 cm thick. It is not necessary to cut too thin.
- If you're dreaming of a vegetable stew or caviar, cut into cubes.
- Fritters, caviar, baby puree are more convenient to cook from frozen zucchini, grated.
Now let's see if it is possible to freeze zucchini for the winter without blanching. As a rule, this is the decision of the hostess. But to make sure when vegetables look more appealing and "edible", experiment.
Prepare a small batch of courgettes, cut them in the same way. Just put one batch in the freezer, and the second after blanching. After a day or two, take out the freezer and taste it. This is the safest choice.
If you want to surprise your guests in winter, fry the zucchini. They turn out to be just as tasty and mouth-watering if the vegetables have been frozen correctly.
Attention! The circles are not thawed before frying.
How to properly freeze zucchini for the winter in circles:
- Sliced zucchini pieces are dipped in boiling water for 5 minutes, then discarded in a colander so that the liquid glass. The cooled dry circles are laid out in one layer on a plate or immediately in a bag and sent to the freezer. When the piece is frozen, you can quickly put it in a container or freezer bag. It is not recommended to put all the zucchini immediately into the container, otherwise they will stick together.
- If you do not use blanching, then you can use salt to expel excess liquid from the zucchini. Spread the circles out on a board and lightly salt. Remove any moisture that has come out with a towel. Place the circles in a container and freeze.
Cubes or cubes
Freezing zucchini in cubes is an ideal semi-finished product that can be used in winter for preparing first and second courses.
Once you have cut the squash into the desired shape, you can simply send it in a container to the freezer. Fast and easy. But in winter, housewives are often disappointed, because the vegetable becomes rubbery and tasteless. What is the mistake?
It turns out that when freezing a vegetable at home, it is necessary to remove excess moisture. Let's figure out how to properly freeze zucchini for the winter in cubes or cubes:
- Put the workpiece in a container and sprinkle with ordinary table salt. For a kilogram of sliced zucchini - 2 tablespoons. After a quarter of an hour, liquid will appear on the pieces. It is blotted with a clean dry napkin, cubes or cubes are put in bags and frozen. Do not rush to lay the cubes, if they are poorly dried, they may stick together. But it is best to freeze the zucchini fresh for the winter, so that each cube is separate. To do this, lay out the workpieces on a baking sheet and send them to the freezer. After freezing, the zucchini is laid out in a container or bag.
- Of course, this method is more time consuming, but reliable. The cubes are blanched for about three minutes, then dipped in a colander in very cold water. You can get it with ice cubes. The blanched zucchini are dried and cooled on a towel. Then put it in the freezer. If you are freezing zucchini, diced or cubed, you can add chopped herbs or other vegetables (peppers, carrots, tomatoes).
Freezing grated vegetables
We figured out how to freeze zucchini for the winter in the freezer for preparing the first and second courses. But our readers are interested in whether it is possible to freeze pancakes, if so, how.
This kind of freezing zucchini is the simplest. Just take the prepared fruit and grate it. Leave it on for a while and squeeze out the liquid well. All that remains is to put it in bags and in the freezer.
Important! Remember to bleed the zucchini bags before freezing.
At home, you can make squash puree. Diced vegetables should be boiled until cooked. Throwing the boiled pieces into a colander to glass the water, grind with a blender. After cooling, the finished zucchini puree is removed into plastic containers.
This kind of freezing is very convenient if the family has small children. Doctors recommend squash puree. In stores, it is sold in jars. Why buy vegetable puree at a high price when you can make it for free at home!
Advice! First place the squash puree in a freezer water container or chocolate boxes.
You will get convenient mini-portions at a time.
As we said, vegetables frozen at home can be used to prepare all kinds of dishes, for example, squash caviar.
Vitamin and low-calorie food will be ready within 30-40 minutes. Therefore, it can be prepared just before lunch or the arrival of guests. The snack is prepared without vinegar as it is not supposed to be stored.
What you need to make squash caviar:
- zucchini frozen in circles - half a kilo;
- fresh carrots - 1 piece;
- onions - half;
- green sour apple - 1 piece;
- tomato paste - 1 large spoon;
- garlic - 1 clove;
- salt and sugar to taste.
- After taking out a portion of frozen zucchini slices, pour boiling water over them directly in the bag and immediately put the blank on a colander to drain the liquid.
- Grate the onions and carrots and lightly fry them in oil for no more than five minutes.
- Add zucchini, grated apple without peels and grains, pasta, and minced garlic to the skillet. Simmer over low heat without a lid with constant stirring of the mass.
- After a third of an hour, salt and sugar. Taste it.
- Take a blender and beat in the prepared frozen squash caviar.
Attention! This zucchini appetizer can be eaten hot or cold.
We tried to tell in detail about the different options for freezing zucchini for the winter in the freezer. Of course, to say that these are all ways would be dishonest to housewives. After all, each of them is looking for their own options for preserving vegetables for the winter, so that the family has vitamins.
We hope they will share their secrets with you and us. We are waiting for feedback and suggestions.