Derain white Elegantissima is an ornamental hardy shrub of the Cornelian family, one of the most popular varieties of white deren. Among other horticultural crops, this plant is distinguished by its high decorative effect and undemanding self-care. In addition, the white lawn of Elegantissima is one of the most frost-resistant varieties of the species, which makes it possible to grow this shrub even in the northern regions of Russia - it safely tolerates low temperatures and does not need shelter for the winter.
Description of Deren White Elegantissim
Derain white Elegantissima (in Latin - cornus alba elegantissima) is called so for the elegant appearance and color of its flowers and fruits - they are painted white. In addition, the sheet plate has a light edging.
The height of an adult plant is 2.5-3 m, the diameter is 3 m. The shrub is spreading and grows rapidly to the sides.
The color of the shoots of the Elegantissima deren variety varies from brown to deep red, thanks to which the bushes adorn the garden even in winter, when there is a shortage of bright colors. Young shoots are paler - at first they have an olive color, and only by autumn the bark acquires a reddish tint.
The shape of the leaf plate is represented by an oval, pointed on one side. The surface of the leaf is slightly corrugated, the color is grayish-green. Below the leaf plate is light gray. With the onset of autumn, the color of the foliage does not change.
The first flowering occurs 3 years after planting. Then the Elegantissima derain blooms at intervals of 2 times a year - in late May-early June, and in September. The flowers of the variety form dense inflorescences.
Important! Deer fruits, yellowish drupes in the form of small balls up to 1 cm in diameter, are unsuitable for human consumption.
The life span of the Elegantissima deren is 50-60 years.
The photo below shows a young white Elegantissim deren bush, formed in the shape of a ball.
Differences between the deren of white Siberian Variegat and Elegantissim
The varieties of white deren Elegantissima and Sibirika Variegata are in many ways similar, but also distinguish a number of significant differences between them:
- Derain of the Sibirika Variegata variety is slightly lower - the height of an adult plant is only 2 m, while the Elegantissima sod reaches 3 m in height after 10 years.
- The diameter of the plant is also smaller - about 2 m.
- The color of the leaves is dark green. The foliage of the white Elegantissim deren variety is lighter.
- The surface of the leaf blade of the Sibirika Variegata variety is often covered with spots or stripes of cream color.
- In autumn, the leaves of Siberian Deer Variegat acquire a pinkish-purple hue. Derain white Elegantissima does not change its color.
- The flowers of the Elegantissima variety are white. The variety Sibirika Variegata has cream flowers with a greenish tint.
- Siberica Variegata grows slower than its counterpart and does not form shoots as actively.
- Derain Elegantissima bears fruit abundantly with proper care. The variety Sibirika Variegata has more modest fruiting.
Derain Elegantissima in landscape design
The leading characteristics of the white grass variety Elegantissima are the unpretentiousness of this garden culture and a high degree of decorativeness, which is ensured by the bright color of young branches and the unusual color of the leaves. These qualities have gained great popularity in the field of landscape design shrubs - turf is used both in single plantings and in group compositions. A special advantage is the ease in the formation of the crown of the plant.
Advice! White grass of Elegantissima looks very beautiful near a group of birches or trees with an openwork type of crown.
How to form a tree from Elegantissim deer
The decorativeness of the Elegantissim tree is quickly lost in the absence of periodic pruning. In order to preserve the attractive appearance of the bush, it is necessary to pinch it with your hands or cut off the shoots with garden shears.
Since the variety is capable of growing strongly in the shortest possible time, the shrub can be formed in almost any shape:
- To give the turf a columnar appearance, it is necessary to remove first of all the lateral shoots. The central strong branches are left. However, it is important not to make the column too narrow - if you remove too many branches, the plant can fall under the influence of strong winds.
- The formation of an arch from the Elegantissim deer is very popular. For this, the shrub is attached to a special arcuate structure, tying the ends of the shoots to it.
- The hemisphere is another popular turf figure. This form is formed by pruning one-year and three-year branches in autumn or spring at a level of 10 cm from ground level. As a result, the young growth begins to grow actively. In this way, they also rejuvenate the plant and give it a great decorative effect, since young shoots have a rich red hue.
From deren white Elegantissim also form full-fledged balls and cubes. The variety of shapes is practically unlimited, and each subsequent year you can try new shapes - this does not harm the bush in any way.
Elegantissim deren hedge
The formation of a hedge from white sod of the Elegantissima variety is impossible without timely pruning. The shrub quickly forms new shoots, and if they are not removed, the plantings will overgrow.
In order to preserve the decorative appearance of the turf hedge, it is necessary to regularly remove too protruding and dried out or broken shoots throughout the year. Deeper pruning is done in August or September.
Planting and leaving deren white Elegantissim
Planting and subsequent care of white grass of the Elegantissima variety is within the power of even a novice gardener. This shrub is hardy and undemanding. In order to achieve abundant flowering and rapid growth of the culture, you just need to choose the right place for planting the plant and follow a number of simple rules for caring for it.
Best of all, the white lawn of Elegantissima develops in open, illuminated areas. The shade inhibits the growth of the shrub, however, planting in partial shade is quite possible.
Important! The lack of sunlight affects the decorative effect of this garden culture. The white edging of the leaf plate narrows noticeably, as a result of which the shrub becomes completely inconspicuous.
The advantage of the variety is its immunity to the level of occurrence of groundwater. As for the composition of the soil, it is better to give preference to moist fertile areas. However, with periodic feeding, white grass grows well on poor soils.
The shrub develops worst of all on sandy loam and clay soils. Heavy soil makes it difficult for oxygen to reach the roots of the plant, which greatly affects its growth.
The timing of planting the white Elegantissim turf depends on the method of reproduction. For example, freshly harvested seeds are sown in autumn, while stratified planting material is sown in spring. Also in the spring months, cuttings of white turf are planted. Layers are transplanted in the fall.
Important! When planting in autumn, it is important not to be late in time - the grass is planted at least a month before the first frost. If you do this too late, it may not settle down in a new place and freeze.
The planting algorithm for white Elegantissim deren is as follows:
- The site is prepared 15 days before planting. For this, the selected place is dug up and mineral fertilizers, compost and humus are introduced into the soil. With this preparation of the site, the bushes can subsequently not be fed for several years.
- The size of the planting pit should be much larger than the earthen clod of the seedling.
- Fertilizers are placed at the bottom of the pit: mineral additives and humus.
- Before placing the seedling in the pit, it is watered. After 10 minutes, it can be transplanted. At the same time, the integrity of the earthen coma should not be violated.
- Derain is carefully sprinkled with soil, lightly tamping the near-trunk area.
- Immediately after planting, the plant is watered.
Advice! The survival rate of young seedlings in a new place is much better in previously loosened soil.
Watering and feeding
Derain white Elegantissima is watered infrequently. The main thing is that the soil under the bush does not dry out. The recommended dosage is 2 buckets per plant.
Important! Watering is done only in the early morning or evening, after the heat has subsided. On sunny hot days, it is not recommended to water the plantings in order to avoid the appearance of burn spots on the leaves of the bush.
It is not necessary to feed the Elegantissima variety - the plant is undemanding to the level of soil fertility. It is enough to fertilize the site 2 weeks before planting and lay a layer of nutritious soil mixture on the bottom of the planting pit. This plant will last for 2-3 years, but even if the site was not properly prepared before the turf planting, the bushes are fed only in case of illness or after pruning errors that weakened the turf. You can also fertilize the soil under the young seedlings with humus.
Complex mineral fertilizing is performed every 3 years. You can dilute them with wood ash. In July, the bushes are sometimes fed with peat or compost, but this is not necessary. Derain white does not need a lot of organic matter - about 100 g is enough.
Pruning deren Elegantissim
The first pruning of the derena variety Elegantissima is carried out 3 years after planting. To do this, remove 1/3 of all shoots. Broken and old branches are cut off first.
You can prune white elegantissima at any time of the year. The only exception is the period of time when the juice starts to flow actively.
The result will be slightly different depending on the trimming time. When a plant is forming in spring, the shoots are removed almost at the root - only hemp up to 20 cm is left.After the green mass of the shrub, it will improve to the detriment of flowering and fruiting.
In the fall, the Elegantissima variety is pruned to form a tall bush with many flowers. For this, 3-4 leading shoots are removed.
Old plants are cut almost at the root every 3-4 years.
Important! Derain white Elegantissima very quickly grows to the sides, so formative pruning is carried out regularly.
In addition, you can learn more about the features of planting and caring for the white Elegantissim deren from the video below:
Preparing for winter
The white deren variety Elegantissima does not need shelter for the winter - this shrub is able to withstand very low temperatures without harm to development. Even in case of freezing, the plant quickly recovers.
Only young plants are covered in the first year after planting in open ground. In the future, you do not need to cover the bushes.
The height of the white Elegantissim sower
The height of an adult white cornus alba elegantissima turf reaches 3 m. It is a relatively low variety when compared to other varieties.
The growth of the shrub per year is 40-60 cm. The plant develops especially actively in the summer months.
Reproduction of the white elegantissim deren
White dogwood elegantissima is propagated in the following ways:
- cuttings (both green and lignified);
- in a seed way.
The most popular is the reproduction of shrubs through layering.
Reproduction of the eleganthissim deren by cuttings
Most often, when propagating a culture by cuttings, preference is given to lignified cuts, since green samples do not take root well. The process of preparing cuttings is recommended to be combined with pruning in the spring.
The grafting procedure is as follows:
- In the spring, they choose the healthiest and strongest bush, and cut off part of the shoot from it.
- The resulting cut is checked for suitability. To do this, it must be slightly bent. An unsuitable handle will either break or be unable to return to its original position. If the cut section of the shoot straightens after bending, it can be used to propagate the shrub.
- Selected cuttings are planted in boxes filled with a mixture of sand and humus earth. In this case, it is important to deepen them at an angle of 45 °. Before planting, the soil is slightly moistened.
- After planting the material, the containers are moved to the greenhouse. The optimum temperature for the normal development of cuttings is 20-35 ° C.
- The planting material is regularly sprayed, maintaining light soil moisture.
- In the fall, when the cuttings form a full-fledged root system, they are transplanted to a permanent place.
- In the first winter, the young plant is covered with spruce branches. There is no need for shelter in the following years.
Important! Regardless of the type of cuttings, with this method of propagation, the shrub retains all the varietal qualities of the mother bush.
Layering propagation is so popular due to its simplicity. In order to propagate the White Elegantissima dogwood in this way, the following scheme must be followed:
- In the spring, bend one of the young shoots of the bush to the ground.
- Slightly bury it in the soil. The recommended depth is 10-12 cm.
- Fix the branch so that it does not unfold.
- The buried shoot is regularly watered in moderation.
- In autumn, the branch forms well-developed roots. A young plant can be transplanted to another site.
Planting material for seed propagation is harvested in the fall. Then you can plant seeds in open ground, deepening no more than 5 cm. Stratified seeds are sown in spring.
The variety grows rather slowly, so the first shoots will appear only in the 3rd year of the seedling's life. The plant will reach a height of 3 m only 10 years after planting. It is because of such a long development that this method of reproduction is practiced so rarely.
Important! The seed germination capacity of the Elegantissima shrub variety lasts for 2-3 years.
Diseases and pests
Derain white Elegantissima rarely gets sick, however, this applies only to adult plants. Young bushes are poorly resistant to various fungal diseases. Powdery mildew is especially worth highlighting, which often affects shrubs in the first few years after planting.
The first signs of infection are whitish spots that appear first on the lower branches and leaves. These spots spread very quickly throughout the plant and negate its decorative effect. If the disease is started, transparent drops appear on the spots, which formed the basis of the name of the fungus. Ultimately, the infection dries up the bush, which leads to the cessation of flowering and the early death of the plant.
Drying of the soil, thickening of plantings and excess nitrogen content in the soil provoke the development of the disease.
To combat the fungus, sparing folk remedies are mainly used:
- decoction of garlic;
- decoction of field horsetail;
- soap solution;
- a solution of baking soda and soap.
You can also use any store-bought fungicide.
Insects infest the Elegantissima infrequently. Aphids are considered the most dangerous pest, however, ordinary insecticides can easily deal with it. Laundry soap solution is also good for aphids. Some time after the treatment of the bushes with soapy water, they must be cleaned of plaque with a weak stream from a hose.
Derain white Elegantissima is a garden culture that can decorate the garden not only in summer, but also in winter. The main advantages of the shrub are endurance, high decorativeness and frost resistance, which makes it possible to successfully grow it in almost all regions of Russia. In addition, this variety is extremely unpretentious, and caring for it will not be difficult.