Our ancestors understood that honey is an excellent remedy for many diseases. They also knew that a healthy intoxicating drink could be made from this sweet product. Unfortunately, some of the recipes have not survived to this day. And those that they continue to use allow you to diversify alcoholic beverages at any holidays. One of these drinks is birch sap mead.
Secrets of homemade birch sap mead
It is much easier to prepare mead with birch sap, but it is advisable to watch the video recipe in order to avoid mistakes. The main thing is to follow some important rules and recommendations:
- After harvesting, the juice is kept for 2-3 days in a warm room.
- Under no circumstances should you take tap water for making a drink. Better to take spring or well water. If this is not possible, it is better to buy water in a store. Before pouring, the liquid is warmed at room temperature.
- The amount of honey in the recipes is different, the taste and degree of the finished mead will depend on this.
- Honey can be fresh or candied, the main condition is its naturalness.
- To make the drink tasty, you need to maintain the appropriate temperature. The fact is that at low rates, fermentation processes slow down. Temperatures that are too high will result in violent turbulence.
- In order for the mead to acquire a pure and noble taste, it is necessary to ensure the release of carbon dioxide. A water seal can be used for this.
- On average, fermentation takes up to 10 days, depending on the recipe. You can understand that fermentation is complete by stopping the release of gas bubbles from the water seal.
- After the allotted time has elapsed, the birch sap mead must be thoroughly filtered, poured into clean bottles and removed to a cold place where sunlight does not enter.
- To mix and boil juice and honey, you need to use enamel dishes without chips or stainless steel.
Important! Before starting work, all containers are washed and steamed so that microbes do not lead to acidification of the finished mead.
As already noted, even beginners do not have any special difficulties during the preparation of mead on birch sap. It is much more difficult to settle on one recipe, since each of them is good in its own way.
Advice! You do not need to use several recipes for making mead on birch sap at the same time if you are doing this for the first time. It is better to check them in turn, and only then decide which is better.
Mead with birch sap according to the traditional recipe
- natural honey - 400 g;
- birch sap - 4 l;
- black bread - 150-200 g;
- yeast - 100 g
- Pour the juice into a stainless steel container, add honey, put on the stove. From the moment of boiling, transfer to low heat, cook for 1 hour.
- Pour the sweet liquid into a wooden barrel.
- When the birch honey cools down to room temperature, you need to put a large piece of black bread, specially greased with yeast, into the liquid.
- Cover the container with gauze and place the keg in a warm room.
- After the fermentation is over, the gas bubbles will completely disappear, pour the birch mead into bottles and seal tightly.
- For insisting, young mead is removed to a cool place. Urban residents can use a refrigerator, while villagers can use a cellar or basement.
Birch sap mead with alcohol
If you need a strong mead, then alcohol is used to prepare it. It is introduced after the birch sap drink is ready.
Attention! Alcohol is added strictly according to the recipe, previously diluted with clean water.
The composition of the honey drink:
- natural honey - 0.4 kg;
- birch sap - 3 l;
- hop cones - 5 pieces;
- brewer's yeast - 1 tsp;
- alcohol diluted to 50% - 400 ml;
- use cinnamon, mint, cardamom, or nutmeg if desired.
How to cook:
- Add honey to juice and place on the stove. Boil for 40 minutes with constant stirring.
- The resulting foam must be removed.
- When the resulting sweet liquid has cooled to 50 degrees, pour it into a large bottle, add hops, yeast and spices (no more than a pinch) to taste.
- For fermentation, put in the sun. The process usually takes 7 days. The end of fermentation is the cessation of the release of bubbles and foam.
- Filter the resulting mead and pour into prepared clean containers, seal tightly and remove for 2 months for infusion.
- Re-filter, add alcohol.
Advice! To get a quality mead, you need to let the drink stand. Exposure is the main point.
How to cook mead on birch sap and backing
There are many recipes for making mead. Usually high-quality natural honey is added to it. But there is one bee product that is also used to make birch mead.
What is called a back bar
First of all, you need to understand what a backbone is. These are wax caps with which the bees cover the honeycomb. This bee product contains propolis, pollen and special enzymes.
Despite the fact that some of the nutrients are lost during cooking, the mead with a beaded bar still remains a quality product. It not only quenches thirst, but also helps to cure colds or pneumonia, but only with moderate use.
To taste, zabrusnaya mead has a sourness, a little bitter and stings the tongue.
Non-alcoholic mead on the back
Soft mead on birch sap without yeast according to this recipe, in small quantities, will not hurt even schoolchildren, because it tastes like lemonade.
- backbone - 3 kg;
- birch sap (if this product is not available, you can take unboiled spring water) - 10 l;
- any berries - 0.5 kg;
- raisins - 1 tbsp.
- Pour the raisins and honey with juice and leave to ferment in a warm room (the ideal temperature is +30 degrees). Close the container with a water seal.
- After 10 days, remove from the sediment, pour into a clean dish and cover with lids or stoppers.
- They put the drink in a dark cool place.
- After 2 days, the plugs are opened, the accumulated gas is released from them.
Recipe for mead from birch sap on a backbeam and cherry
- backbone - 3 kg;
- juice (clean water) - 10 l;
- cherry - 400 g.
Stages of work:
- Cherry berries do not need to be washed, as there is live yeast on their surface.
- Pour the birch sap over the zabrus, add the berries.
- Place the container in a warm room. From the moment of the beginning of fermentation, as a rule, at least 10 days pass.
- Filter the liquid through several layers of gauze.
- Pour into dark glass bottles, remove the mead to ripen in a cool place.
Birch sap mead recipe without yeast
When our ancestors started making mead, they had no idea about yeast. That is why the finished drink turned out to be healthy.
- natural honey - 400 g;
- birch sap or clean water - 2 liters;
- raisins - 500 g.
Features of the process:
- Add honey to the juice and wait for it to completely dissolve.
- Natural yeast is found on the surface of the raisins, which should never be washed off with water. You just need to sort them out, remove the petioles and add to the liquid.
- Cover the container with gauze folded in several rows so that insects and sweets do not get into the mead.
- After 48 hours, filter the mass, pour into bottles.
Important! Mead on the life-giving birch sap will be completely ready in 2-3 months. It is by this time that she will acquire her characteristic taste and strength.
Mead on birch sap without boiling
Our ancestors did not use heat treatment to prepare an alcoholic drink, since they poured honey with spring water.
Prescription (you can take more products) will require:
- birch sap - 1 l;
- fresh honey - 60 g;
- dry yeast - 10 g.
The nuances of the recipe:
- Heat the juice to 50 degrees, dissolve the sweet component in it.
- Pour in yeast, mix.
- Pour into fermentation containers, cover with gauze.
- 2 weeks after the end of fermentation, remove the drink from the sediment, filter, pour into small bottles (no more than 500 ml), cork, put in the refrigerator.
This homemade alcohol can be stored for several years. That is why the ancestors prepared several dozen bottles in advance by burying them in the ground (for future weddings of their children).
Mead on birch sap with bee bread
To prepare a drink, you can use not only honey, but also bee bread. Homemade alcohol in this case increases immunity, helps fight inflammatory processes.
- buckwheat honey - 200 g;
- birch sap or water - 1 liter;
- raisins - 50 g;
- bee bread - 0.5 tbsp. l.
- Combine the liquid with honey, wait for it to completely dissolve and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add unwashed raisins and bee bread to chilled sweet water.
- Remove the liquid in a dark warm (25-30 degrees) place for 7 days for fermentation.
- Remove low-alcohol liquid from the sediment, pour it into bottles with tight corks.
Important! The aging period of mead prepared according to this recipe is at least 6 months.
How to cook mead on birch juice with hop cones
Most often, this recipe is resorted to when honey is heavily sugared or begins to ferment, and it cannot be eaten.
- honey - 3 l;
- yeast - 7-8 g;
- hop cones - 20-25 g;
- juice (can be mixed with water) - 20 liters.
Making a honey homemade drink is easy:
- Boil the liquid.
- Introduce honey in several stages with constant stirring so as not to burn.
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Foam forms during boiling, it must be removed.
- When the foam is gone, add the hop cones, turn off the stove and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cool the liquid to 45 degrees (only with such indicators!), Pour into cans, without adding them by a third, add yeast.
- After aging for 5 days, remove the foam, filter homemade alcohol through cheesecloth or cloth.
- Pour into clean bottles, remove for 5 days in a room with a temperature of 12-14 degrees.
- The plugs are opened daily to release any accumulated gas.
Warning! This recipe should be drunk within 20 days as it does not last longer.
How to make mead with birch sap and bread crusts
Such a drink was prepared from fresh juice, and began to try before the start of haymaking.
You will need:
- honey - 1 kg;
- juice 2-3 days after collection - 10 l;
- rye bread (crackers) - 200 g;
- fresh yeast - 50 g.
How to cook properly:
- Soak the crackers in the juice in advance.
- Mix honey and juice in a saucepan, boil over low heat for 1 hour.
- Add yeast to the cooled liquid, tie the pan with a cloth.
- In a warm and dark place, the container is kept until boiling is complete.
- Pour the drink into suitable containers.
- Put in a cool place for 3-4 months.
Non-alcoholic birch sap mead recipe
- natural honey - 500 g;
- juice - 3 l;
- rye bread - 100 g;
- yeast - 20 g
- Boil juice and honey for 1 hour.
- Dilute the yeast to a state of gruel and grease soaked rye bread with it.
- When the honey-birch liquid has cooled, add the bread.
- After an hour, when fermentation begins, take out the bread.
- After 5-7 days, when fermentation stops, pour into bottles.
Important! The drink will be ready for use in 4-5 months.
How to make mead with spices and spices using birch sap
Lovers of spicy drinks can use the following recipe:
- juice - 4 l;
- honey - 1 kg;
- yeast - 100 g;
- spices to taste;
- vodka - 100 g.
- Boil honey with liquid over low heat until it begins to thicken.
- Strain the field to cool, add yeast and pour into a large bottle.
- Remove to a warm place where the sun's rays do not penetrate for 5 days.
- Remove from sediment, add vodka. Put your favorite spices or herbs (cardamom, mint, cloves, violets, ginger or zest) in a bag and put them in a container.
- After 30 days, strain the contents and bottle.
- Place closed containers in a cold place.
How to store mead on birch sap
The shelf life of the drink depends on the characteristics of the recipe. But the place must be dark, without access to the sun, and cool. In the village, a basement or cellar is suitable for this. City dwellers can use the refrigerator.
Birch sap mead is an old drink. Depending on the recipe, it can be low-alcoholic or fortified if you add vodka, alcohol or moonshine. You just need to choose the right option and follow the technology.