Not so long ago, goji berries were exotic for most Europeans, and today they are in the assortment of almost every large store, where there is always a demand for such useful products. Such interest is caused by the loud positioning of unusual fruits, according to which goji berries for weight loss are better than any pills and vitamins.
The benefits and harms of goji berries for weight loss
The fruits of goji, or Chinese Dereza, in the homeland of this plant, in Tibet, are considered the berries of longevity. They have long been proven useful in combating hormonal disruptions, insomnia, and many different diseases of the skin and cardiovascular system. In addition, the use of goji berries has a beneficial effect on male potency. In addition, they are able to alleviate the symptoms of menopause in women and prevent premature aging of the body due to their rich reserves of antioxidants.
Nevertheless, goji berries owe their fame not only to their beneficial properties for human health, but also to the fact that they have found application in accelerating the process of losing weight. An important role in this is played by the ability of the fruit of the plant to regulate blood sugar levels due to the low glycemic index, which is 29 units. In addition, these berries normalize metabolic processes in the body and cleanse the gastrointestinal tract from toxins and breakdown products of nutrients. This, in turn, has a positive effect on the rate of breakdown of adipose tissue. The appetite suppressing properties of fruits also help with weight loss, eliminating the need for unplanned snacks.
However, only high-quality berries have the maximum benefit for the body. The product bought at the first available outlet can do a lot of harm to the body. Unscrupulous sellers often sell barberries or cranberries to gullible buyers under the guise of dried goji fruits, wanting to cash in on the "weight loss" brand. Moreover, this is also true for online stores, so you should be careful when buying a product and purchase it only in trusted places that have an appropriate certificate.
When properly dried, the fruit is bright orange-red in color and has a soft texture. If, when shaking the package, the berries stick together, and do not separate from each other, then the product is of high quality. It is better not to buy crunchy and tough goji berries, as there is a high probability that they are completely spoiled.
How goji berries work on the body
Although some reviews talk about fast weight loss on goji products, in which you do not need to make any efforts to achieve the result, it is worth remembering that the berries of this plant are not a drug for weight loss. Fruits really have a high content of antioxidants, under the influence of which there is an active breakdown of fats and the release of energy. This energy, in turn, supplies strength to all cells of the body, strengthens the immune system and increases endurance.
However, one should not think that this will help to get rid of extra centimeters in the waist without appropriate adjustments in diet and exercise. A similar effect can be achieved only if the fruits are consumed in combination with moderate exercise and a balanced healthy diet.
How to use goji berries for weight loss
Goji berries are good, including the fact that they can be used in almost any form for weight loss, but most often they are brewed. At the same time, boiled fruits are no less useful than dried ones, and, in addition, they have a positive effect on the condition of the figure. The main difficulty lies in the correct processing of the product.
How to eat goji berries to lose weight
To get the most out of the fruits of the plant when used as food without brewing, there are some guidelines to keep in mind:
- Goji berries are always consumed for weight loss in dried form. Fresh fruits of Chinese wolfberry can be poisonous, but when dried, toxic compounds in them are destroyed, and the berries become safe.
- Dried fruits of the plant, like other dried fruits, can be eaten as a standalone product, for example, to satisfy hunger between main meals, or add them to complex dishes.
- As an exotic berry, goji can cause indigestion and other stomach problems when eaten for the first time. Therefore, it is worth preparing the body for a new product, limiting itself to 1 - 2 fruits during the first intake. If there are no side reactions to the product, you can gradually increase the number of berries to 15 - 20 pcs. in a day.
- People over 50 and those who have problems with blood pressure should not consume more than 5 to 7 fruits at one time.
Important! When cooking goji berries, do not subject them to technical processing for longer than 15 minutes, as they will begin to lose their beneficial properties.
How to brew goji berries for weight loss
Brewing the fruits of Chinese wolfberry also has its own nuances:
- Immediately before brewing, goji berries are washed with running water or soaked for 10-15 minutes.
- Too hot water leads to the fact that the nutrients in the product begin to break down, so you should not brew the fruits at temperatures above 85 - 90 ° C.
- It is not recommended to use aluminum and enameled dishes when brewing, since the acids contained in berries can react with the container material and release compounds harmful to the body. For this procedure, glass, ceramic dishes, as well as thermoses and thermo mugs are suitable.
- For 2 tbsp. goji berries should be prepared with 5 liters of boiling water, pour them over and seal them with a lid. The drink must be infused for 30 minutes, after which you can drink the ready-made broth.
How to drink goji berries for weight loss
To achieve the maximum beneficial effect, drinking goji berries for weight loss should be done correctly:
- The drink infused for 30 minutes is filtered and drunk warm.
- The infusion is consumed 3 times a day 20 minutes before meals, 0.5 tbsp. in one go.
- The daily dose of vitamin liquid is 300 ml.
- Berries that remain after filtration can be safely eaten with a spoon.
- It is not recommended to add sugar, honey, and other sweeteners to a fruit drink - easily digestible carbohydrates in the composition of these and similar substances will negate the beneficial effect of berries and will not contribute to weight loss.
Important! Do not exceed the dosage of the drink, as this can cause pain in the stomach and intestines and provoke problems with stool.
How to use goji berries for weight loss according to the instructions
Along with large shops and trays with dried fruits, pharmacies also offer to purchase goji berries for weight loss from various manufacturers. Typically, the main suppliers of this product are Spain and Tibet, where this plant is grown on an industrial scale. In medical departments, such fruits are sold in packs of 50 and 100 g and are dispensed without a prescription, however, it is recommended to consult with your doctor before using them.
Features of reception
Among people practicing diets on goji berries, there is an opinion that exceeding the dosage of the fruits of the plant provokes early weight loss. This statement is far from the truth. As you might guess, the abuse of berries, like other foods, does not entail any beneficial consequences, but it can most likely cause stomach pain and an allergic reaction. Therefore, it is not recommended to independently increase the proportion of fruits in the diet without medical indications.
The daily dose of goji berries for an adult who does not fall into the group of people who need to limit the amount of the product is 10 - 20 g, which is equivalent to 20 - 50 fruits. For children under 10 years of age, the required amount is halved. At the same time, berries that are consumed 20-30 minutes before meals or during meals have the greatest effect.
Advice! It is better to refrain from eating the fruits of Chinese wolfberry on an empty stomach because of the substances in the product that can affect the acid-base balance of the body.
Nutritional features during weight loss
There are no special instructions for changing the diet for those who take goji berries or seeds for weight loss. They all follow the usual rules to follow in order to lose weight. So, losing weight should limit the consumption of easily digestible carbohydrates, which are present mainly in sweet and flour products, and enrich your diet with whole grains, fiber and protein. It is worth excluding salty, smoked, fried and spicy dishes from the menu, and replacing animal fats with vegetable ones. In addition, you must drink at least 2 liters of water and refuse to eat 3 to 4 hours before bedtime.
Important! Goji berry dishes are also not recommended at night as they can cause insomnia.
Slimming drink recipes with goji berries
Since the time when the benefits of goji for weight loss have become widely known, new recipes have appeared, for the preparation of which the berries of this plant are used. On their basis, porridge and salads are prepared, pies are stuffed with them, and added to cookies. These fruits are also used as part of drinks, for example, infusions, decoctions and tea.
As a supplement, and sometimes an alternative to a light breakfast, delicate vitamin smoothies made from goji berries are very popular. In the reviews, people who take goji berries for weight loss note that the drink according to the recipe below will charge the body with the energy needed at the beginning of the day and stifle the desire to eat something less useful before lunch:
- 4 medium bananas, peeled, cut into pieces.
- 2 tbsp. l. goji berries are thoroughly washed with running water.
- The components are placed in a blender, 150 g of frozen strawberries are added to them.
- Mix fruits until smooth.
- The finished drink is poured into glasses, decorated with mugs of bananas and berries.
Advice! Add honey to taste as a sweetener.
Since ancient times, tea has been brewed from the fruits of Chinese wolfberry according to an old recipe, which, in the process of spreading the plant, was diversified by numerous connoisseurs of a healthy lifestyle. According to reviews, goji berry slimming tea can be brewed on the basis of any classic tea, be it black, hibiscus or white. It is also allowed to add ginger, lemon or lime juices to it, but it is better to refrain from milk and ice cream:
- First, the teapot is scalded with boiling water.
- 1 tbsp. goji fruit is thoroughly washed and poured into a kettle.
- Then the berries are poured with 250 - 300 ml of water at a temperature of 85 - 90 ° C.
- The fruits are brewed for 15 - 20 minutes.
- The finished drink is drunk warm or hot. You should not add sugar or other sweeteners to slimming tea.
Important! Goji berries don't go well with green tea.
While it might seem like a milkshake doesn't fit the definition of a low-calorie product, it can be made one with the right ingredients. So, a cocktail based on kefir with goji berries can become a useful substitute for a light dinner. Prepare it like this:
- 2 bananas, 2 kiwis are washed, peeled and chopped in a blender until smooth.
- Combine the mixture with 1 tbsp. washed goji fruits and 500 ml of low-fat kefir.
- Then beat the mixture again with a blender.
- The resulting cocktail is garnished with mint if desired.
Limitations and contraindications for admission
Despite the fact that reviews of people losing weight on goji berries note their numerous beneficial properties, like most other products, they have certain contraindications. So, the fruits of this plant are not recommended for the following groups of persons:
- people with allergic reactions and individual intolerance to the product;
- pregnant and lactating women;
- patients with stomach and intestinal ulcers;
- having an elevated temperature;
- suffering from gastritis and other diseases of the gastrointestinal tract.
In addition, the use of these berries should be limited to people who are concurrently taking medications for the treatment of diabetes mellitus, hypertension and low blood pressure, since the active substances in the fruits can react with the components of medicines. Therefore, when introducing goji berries into your diet, you should consult with a specialist.
While this may seem unlikely, goji berries do have some benefits for weight loss. However, this product should not be taken as an instant fat burner. Eating berries can take the first step towards proper nutrition, which, combined with physical activity, will soon lead to a dream figure.
Real reviews of losing weight about the effect of goji berries on weight loss
Grekovich Alina Nikolaevna, 38 years old, Omsk
When the excitement about the wonderful berries first started, I got curious. I bought 150 g of goji for testing, although this pleasure is not cheap. And, it seems, I observed the dosage correctly, but after I ate five things, my stomach began to ache badly. Then I found out on the Internet that this happens, and in this case, you can only drink the extract of berries. But finding it is even more difficult than the fruit itself! And it costs even more. So, the experience failed.
Zuyenok Daria Fedorovna, 27 years old, Rostov-on-Don
On one health site, I found an article about goji berries with reviews and even photos that showed the results before and after taking them - that they help for weight loss. At first I decided that this was another deception, and they only promise us minus 10 kg per week. But it turned out that it works on the principle of dietary supplements. That is, if the diet is followed, then it is possible to lose weight! I tried it - and threw off 3 kilos in a month, which is very good for me (and delicious!), But there are, of course, cheaper ways to lose weight.