Regardless of the area of the house and the bathhouse on the site, you can’t do without a barn. As such, the ability to store and bring everything into the house will not work, even if there is a place where to place things, and if there is no place, then even more so - therefore, an outbuilding is simply necessary. This may even be the first experience in the self-construction of such a building, and even without special skills and experience.
How to make a choice
First choice based on the tasks that the barn should perform, what will be stored in it and what kind of work will be done in it, at what time of year and at what place in the site. If the construction work will be done with their own hands, then this factor reduces the choice of options for economic buildings.
First, it is worth deciding in which place the plot will be arranged for the shed, and how important the aesthetic component will be - if you have the task of erecting for the minimum cost and the financial component is in the first place, then you should not spend money on expensive finishing, especially if the shed located on the edge of the site or terrain where it is not visible at all. Also, the barn can be combined with a garage for storing a vehicle, an ATV, a snowmobile or some other equipment there. In this case, you will have to pay attention to the possibility of access from the street.
If it is possible to carry out any locksmith or carpentry work indoors, then for the full-fledged work, any minimal comfortable conditions are arranged inside. The room should definitely be planned into small sections - for a more rational storage of equipment and any materials, in order to provide more comfortable and efficient access. If the barn is provided for small area, but requires a large volume, then in this case, you can resort to a two-story building. Also, do not forget about the possibility of organizing a cellar for storing food from the garden.
It is better to choose a roof, based on the ease of installation and price, also do not forget about the seasonal features and the level of rainfall for the winter period. A pitched roof with a small degree of roof slope and a coating material that does not contribute to snow melting will not be satisfactory for areas where there is an increased level of snowfall. A gable roof with a sharp ridge will be optimal for buildings on two floors, but in this case half of the ceiling volume of the second floor will be slanted by the roof, since the ceiling of the second floor will be the roof.
Insulation and installation of heating also directly depends on the required parameters inside the building, if you are going to grow plants there or keep animals, this will be a mandatory requirement, as well as the installation of electricity.
The foundation should be chosen primarily depending on climatic conditions and the type of soil. New parameters satisfy the pile foundation, an exception - if you plan a garage. Under the platform for the equipment you will have to make a dense base with the possibility of water flow into the ground.
Planning and location
Due to the fact that the barn is an outbuilding, he does not need architectural excesses, but against the background of the site and other buildings, he should not be evident and attract attention. You can highlight the most rational options:
- Adjacent to the cottage.
- Removal to the edge of the perimeter of the site.
- Location on the front line of the plot relative to the carriageway outside the plot, in case the barn will include a garage.
The right choice will come from the following considerations:
- The soil on which the location is planned should be the least attractive for the location of beds, this is true if you plan to grow something. It is worth paying attention to those places where there is a shortage of sunlight, poor terrain or where there is simply nothing more to place. It is better to place it near the places of any street work, in order to simplify the delivery of heavy equipment, machinery or seedlings.
- Do not forget about the legislative and fire requirements for the construction of permanent buildings. It is worth observing the distance from other buildings, the edge of the plot, power lines and, possibly, any buried communication lines. Do not place near any lakes and water storages, due to soil movement and high humidity, the soil can simply move over time displacing the shed and damaging the foundation and the timber.
How to start construction
To build a barn with your own hands, a list of building materials will be needed first. Based on that option. what you decided to do, you need to decide on which technology according to the instructions and from which materials the work will be carried out. As a matter of fact, the barn is a non-residential building, in exceptional cases with heating, therefore only small town-planning and SanPiN requirements remain legally.
Continuing the conversation about papers, it is right to begin all work with the project: it should include at least floor plans with axes and dimensions, foundations, facade sheets with elevations, as well as the roof structure, specification and estimates of materials. Based on practice, even most quickly downloaded simple projects from the Internet are approved without any verification of the fact of what kind of building it is and for what purpose it will be operated.
But what causes special attention, this is a plan diagram of the location of the building on your site, including the layout of the neighbors' plots and their consent to the construction of the barn. It is worth collecting these papers immediately, before any work begins, and they are valid for three years.
What is better to choose for the construction of households. buildings with dimensions of 6 × 3? What cheap, easy to use, delivery and inexpensive materials to choose? Of course, softwood lumber. In the central and eastern part of Russia no problems with the purchase of the board will arise. In the steppe and desert regions, the price will be higher due to long-distance delivery. At the same time, this option combines an external aesthetic appearance even without painting.
- If you want to save on material as much as possible, you can use the so-called croaker. This is the extreme part of the tree trunk: on one side of the board you have a flat, even side, on the other - round, covered with bark, but you won’t get much refinement, but there will be an additional task in the form of removing the bark so that the pests do not eat the tree.
- Also, frame construction is common in our country. This technology is very well mastered, all the required materials and components are produced in all regions. It is based on the construction of a supporting frame made of timber, and sheathed with OSB sheets or similar. But they will require additional processing from the external environment, at least by priming, and ideally - by sheathing with cheap siding or polycarbonate. The floor is made plank.
- If we are talking about a capital building with heating and the possible residence of animals there, then the above options are not entirely suitable. In this case, it is worth paying attention to a more complex frame option, both multilayer with insulation, and panel. Depending on climatic conditions, the desired insulation and its thickness are selected.
- Heating boiler or electric. But at the same time, attention is focused on additional measures for fire safety, both when installing electrical wiring, and when operating this type of heating. Departing from wooden construction, but not forgetting the optimal cost of money, it is worth paying attention to the foam block. Provided it is light in weight, it can also be built on a columnar foundation on a crown of timber.
- There is also a proposal on the market for the sale of ready-made kits for self-assembly, in which case you will be brought a completely ready-made set of materials and components, both according to the type of frame option and the frame from sheet metal structures, where you only need to tighten the screws and bolts. But due to commercial activities with the condition of self-assembly, the price of such an offer is not cheap, even more expensive than if you order a turnkey wooden shed in any organization.
What type of roof to block the barn? Single or double slope? Do it yourself will be able to build a frame shed with a shed roof with your own hands, even without special skills. Technically, for the barn, there will be a difference only in aesthetics, there will be no functional and technical differences except for the difference in design, except in the small difference in the ventilation of the internal space. A pitched roof without additional factors provides complete ventilation for a 6 × 3 room.
DIY do-it-yourself shed construction
Below we describe how the work is done step by step.
If you are making a temporary shed without foundation, then you need to put it on a pillow, for example, from crushed stone 20–50 cm thick, it is poured into a previously dug foundation pit at the desired level, so that the pillow is eventually flush with the ground. For a durable shed a full-fledged foundation will be required, but simpler than that of a house or other residential building. Large residential sheds for living animals are built on a strip or column foundation.
The best option for a personal barn is to equip a columnar, based on ruggedly-piled piles. They are hammered or installed in a small round well to a specified depth, at the bottom of which a pillow is made of ASG, and the volume around the pile is poured with concrete. To do this, we need a sand-gravel mixture and M400 cement, depending on the number of piles, at the rate of 1 bag of cement for 9 bags of ASG: the result is concrete grade M150.
To carry the plan from paper to the area, a perimeter of pegs and rope is pulled over which piles will be installed. Then we drill wells under the piles, pour equal layers of sand and gravel there separately, in this case, ASG cannot be used. We turn the sleeve from the roofing material, install it on the pillow in the well and gradually fill the cement with layers of 15−20 cm. After 7 days at a positive temperature, it will be possible to proceed to the next stage.
Take on the example of a frame shed. We begin the work with the production of the frame from the timber, according to SNiP, this structure can not be called a building, but the standards require the use of metal fasteners at least 4 mm thick, but in practice this is not necessary. When attaching according to the method in the paw and spike is not necessary, due to the complexity of execution, as well as uselessness. All timber connections can be made on special metal brackets, which are purchased ready-made for the size.
To strengthen the frame, you can install braces with a length of 40-60cm at the corners. The skin of the frame is best - plank, is covered by the method of the Christmas tree, that is, in the cut, one face lies on the plane of the previous board. As an option, you can consider coating lights or sheets of OSB, chipboard with additional processing.
The next option will be corrugated board, but from the minuses it can be distinguished that even in the summer it will be cooler there than on the street, but in economic terms it can be cheaper than lining with wood sheets with lining.
The pros and cons of the roof have already been said. To build a shed with a pitched roof, it will be quite enough rafters with a suspension, without crossbars - a board that connects the rafters under the ridge. Material with a height of 100 mm and a thickness of 40 to 60 mm will be enough.
Mauerlat - not required. The trusses - rafters, fastened together with a rack - are fastened around the perimeter of the frame with an equal step on stamped metal fasteners without tie-ins into the timber. Further on top of the farms lies a lathing and roofing material - for example, the same corrugated board, or a lathing with a plywood substrate with roofing material. Gutters are optionally installed along the perimeter of the ramp..DIY barn