We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Among over 20,000 fern varieties, only 3-4 are considered edible. The most popular of these is the bracken variety. It is widespread in the countries of East Asia. If you salt the bracken fern correctly, you can stock up on a huge amount of nutrients for the winter.
How to salt bracken fern at home
Bracken is an edible fern species that grows in the European part of Russia. The collection of plants begins in May with the arrival of heat. Young fern shoots are eaten. They are called rakhis. A distinctive feature of the shoots is their twisted shape, resembling snails in appearance. Due to her, rachis dishes have a very appetizing look.
The taste of salted bracken resembles a cross between mushrooms and asparagus. It is used for making soups, salads and main courses. In addition to interesting taste properties, dishes made from salted bracken fern are distinguished by their useful composition. The main advantage of the product is its high iodine content.
The plant is harvested in the first half of May. But the product can be purchased prepared. It is sold in shops selling Korean delicacies. When self-collecting a plant, you should be guided by the following principles:
- the optimal shoot length is 20-30 cm;
- when pressed, the petioles should emit a crunch;
- at the top of the shoot there is a curl resembling a snail;
- when cutting a plant, it is necessary to leave a stump of 5 cm;
- after harvesting, shoots should be processed within 10 hours;
- if during long-term storage the rachis began to darken, it is prohibited to eat them.
Before cooking, the shoots must be prepared. Initially, the product is washed thoroughly. The next step is to soak it in salted water for a day. The water needs to be changed periodically. The next day, the fern is boiled for 3 minutes. After that, you can heat the product.
Traditional recipe for salting bracken fern
Fresh rachis can be used in soups, salads and meat dishes. But in order to stock up on a product for future use, you need to pickle or salt it. The traditional recipe involves the use of the following ingredients:
- 500 g of salt;
- 1 kg fern.
- The bracken is thoroughly washed under running water.
- A layer of salt is placed on the bottom of a deep container. Lay out a layer of shoots on top. They need to be salted until the ingredients run out. The top layer should be salt.
- Above is placed oppression weighing at least 1 kg.
- The product is left for 2 weeks in a cold place.
- After a specified time, the resulting liquid is drained from the container.
- The plant is laid out in jars and poured with a saline solution with the addition of ascorbic acid.
- Banks are rolled up in the usual way.
Important! The salted plant must be soaked before cooking.
Quick salting of freshly cut bracken fern
Cooking salted bracken fern is often carried out according to a faster recipe. It takes only a week to salt the product. But the duration of storage of the finished product does not change from this. The ratio of the components is as follows:
- 250 g of salt;
- 1 kg fern.
- Each pod is thoroughly rinsed with clean water.
- In a deep container, the plant is mixed with coarse salt.
- Top the product with a wooden plank or plate.
- To extract juice, oppression is placed in the container, which can be a small weight.
- After 7 days, the resulting juice is drained.
- Shoots are tamped into jars and canned.
Salt bracken fern with spices
The taste of bracken fern in combination with spices can sparkle with new shades. Supplements can be selected at your discretion. They are in perfect harmony with shoots:
Before you salt the product, you need to prepare the ingredients:
- 1 kg of salt;
- 500 g of spices;
- 2.5 kg of shoots.
- The fern is sorted out, getting rid of sluggish and spoiled shoots.
- The plant is laid out on the bottom of an enamel pot, covered with salt and spices.
- Oppression is placed on top.
- After 3 weeks, the pulp is separated from the juice and placed in sterilized glass jars.
- The remaining spices and saline are added to the shoots, after which the jars are twisted.
Attention! It is not recommended to salt the fern using fine iodized salt.
Bracken fern, salted immediately in jars
The finished fern is sold in Korean shops. It is added to salads, fried and stewed with vegetables or meat. The product received its distribution in Siberia and Asian countries. There he is found in almost any grocery store. The price of a bracken for 1 kg is about 120 rubles.
How to cook salted bracken fern in the taiga
The taiga fern is a wonderful dish that is often used instead of a hot one. It is very satisfying and healthy. Salt the dish during cooking should be extremely careful.
- 400 g bracken fern;
- 400 g chicken breast;
- one onion;
- vegetable oil;
- 200 g sour cream;
- pepper and salt to taste.
- The soaked fern is boiled for 7 minutes and then cut into small pieces.
- Cut the chicken breast into cubes.
- The onions are fried in a hot skillet until golden brown.
- Put chicken in a frying pan, salt and fry until tender.
- The next step is to add sour cream and fern to the chicken.
- After 3-4 minutes, the dish is removed from the heat.
Fresh bracken is allowed to be stored no longer than a day. Therefore, it is recommended to salt it as quickly as possible, until the product has lost its beneficial properties and is not stiff. The dried plant is usable for several years if stored in linen bags. The shelf life of a salty product is 2-3 years.
You can store it at any temperature. But it is advisable to remove the cans in a place protected from sunlight.
Warning! A fresh plant contains toxic substances that are hazardous to health. Therefore, it can only be consumed in processed form.
What can be cooked from salted bracken fern
There are many recipes for cooking salted bracken fern. Delicacy dishes are perfect both for decorating a festive table and for everyday use. The shoots are pre-soaked in cold water for 24 hours. This is necessary to isolate the salt.
Bracken salad with egg
- 3 boiled eggs;
- 40 g prepared fern;
- one pickled cucumber;
- one onion;
- 100 g mayonnaise;
- 3 cloves of garlic.
- Finely chopped bracken and onion, then stew in a skillet for 5 minutes.
- While the shoots are cooling, cut the cucumber and boiled eggs.
- The components are mixed and seasoned with mayonnaise.
- Put the salad on a plate using a round shape. If desired, the dish is decorated with herbs.
- one fennel;
- 30 ml soy sauce;
- 600 g fern;
- one chili pepper;
- vegetable oil - for frying;
- 300 g of pork.
- Pieces of meat are fried on both sides in hot oil.
- Fennel and pepper are chopped and fried in a separate skillet.
- The bracken is added to the resulting mixture without crushing it.
- At the end of cooking, add meat and soy sauce to the pan.
- When serving, the dish can be garnished with black sesame seeds.
Salted bracken fern salad with chicken is served warm. It can be used as a stand-alone dish or in combination with any side dish. To prepare the salad you will need:
- 3 onions;
- 300 g chicken fillet;
- 300 g shoots;
- seasonings to taste.
- The onion and chicken are cut into cubes and sent to a frying pan with hot oil. During the frying process, add salt and pepper.
- At the end of cooking the meat, add the pre-soaked plant and any seasonings.
- After 3 minutes, the finished dish is removed from the stove.
Salting bracken fern is necessary in accordance with the recipe. Taste and useful qualities largely depend on how the product was processed. With proper preparation, bracken will help diversify the diet and enrich the body with useful elements.