Cities of the future in the forecasts of futurists are filled with beautifully designed vegetation. Flowers and bushes are planted not only parks, squares, balconies and roofs. Green gardens descend along the walls of buildings, fill a significant part of the interiors of the premises. Buildings are more like the work of landscape designers than the work of architects.
A modern skyscraper, the facade of an old house or an open-plan office - increasingly vertical gardens or landscaping of facades and premises are included in our living space. They improve the quality of life in the ever-narrowing conditions of the city for nature.
The popularity of such solutions is due to many factors.
- Saves space on the floor and window sills;
- Planters and shelving do not limit the penetration of light;
- The ability to decorate the room anywhere, regardless of the location of the window;
- Improving the microclimate due to oxygen saturation and regular evaporation;
- Beneficial effect on the nervous system.
Technologies and designs
The innovation of this technology is that they create structures that allow plants to live on their roots at any height, without rising to the wall from the ground. Basis for this form Growing are devices that provide space for the substrate. Some designs involve the use of traditional irrigation. But it’s much more convenient to use hydroponics technology.
For it does not apply the soil in the usual sense. Moisture and plant nutrients are obtained through systems in the form of special solutions. Watering mode and other necessary conditions are controlled by sensors. Regardless of which design is chosen for vertical construction, a garden on the walls will cost a lot.
Of course, landscaping in hydroponics will require additional training with the development of technology. The reward will be a luxurious park in the form of a carpet on the wall or facade and an additional profession. It is much easier to make a garden as part of traditional crop production. For example, a beautiful home garden can be created using ordinary plastic water pipes. These designs resemble Mediterranean grass pots for balconies and terraces. Suitable for an apartment and do not require special wisdom.
Here's how to do it:
- Buy pipes for water or the sewerage.
- Optimum diameter 110 mm, length from 0.5 to 2 meters. It must be remembered: the longer the pipe, the more difficult it will be to regulate irrigation.
- Drill holes with a diameter of 3 to 4 cm. They are landing holes, so the distance between them should correspond to the size of the planting material. In terms of irrigation, it is better to place more holes in the upper part of the pipe than in the lower.
- With proper dosing of watering, an end cap is installed at the lower end of the pipe. In case of overflow, it is better to drainage to drain excess water.
- A more complex structure can be made using transitional and swivel elements for pipes.
- Fill the structure with soil and plant the plants.
- The longer the vertical garden, the easier it is to lose balance. Therefore, it must be securely fixed.
- When located in the back of the room, it is mandatory to use additional lighting.
Vertical gardening in the country
A simple and low-cost version of a vertical flowerbed is a garden in a pallet (pallet). Recently, pallets are fashionable to use as interior elements. By the will of the masters, they become tables, sofas and even beds. Such products have a vintage look. Use for cottage plant growing:
- Pick up a whole pallet that is not spoiled by fungus and rotting process. Remove nails, if any.
- Decide on the top and bottom. Cross bars should be in horizontal position.
- Put face down.
- Fold the landscape fabric in half and cover the back, bottom and side surfaces with it. The top should remain open. Secure with a stapler.
- Take brackets along the crossbars on the rear surface so that the earth does not fall into neighboring compartments.
- Turn over, backfill and lightly compact.
- Plant plants and tamp again to prevent rashes.
- Lean against the wall and strengthen.
- In order to get a freestanding structure, you need to connect two pallets trimmed with landscape fabric together with the back sides.
Regardless of the materials and the shape of the vertical garden, a very unusual option is obtained for growing ornamental or healthy plants. There are more opportunities to breed them even in tight spaces. The choice of plantings depends on personal preferences and growing conditions, taking into account humidity, light and other factors.Vertical Euro Gardening