Practically in any garden plot there are big stumps left over from the sawn tree or got “as a reward” along with the acquired summer cottage. You need to know how to destroy the stump without uprooting, how to get rid of the root.
There are several effective ways to remove old wood. You must choose the one that suits a particular garden area. To do this, evaluate how much around the stump free spaceand whether there is a good access to it.
Mechanical methods of uprooting more labor intensiverequire the use of technology and physical strength.
Tools with which you can remove the remnants of the tree and roots in the garden:
- Hand tool. For uprooting stumps manually, scrap, a chainsaw, a shovel can be useful. First, the shovel is removed high volume soil around the stump, then with a chainsaw and crowbar, they crush and cut down part of the wood so that there is enough space for breaking the flower bed.
- Electric hoist. If construction is planned at the place of stumps, they require deep removal with uprooting of the root system. A cable is attached to the hemp trunk, and old wood is removed from the ground with a winch.
- Excavator. Large-scale construction on a site with a large number of stumps will require the participation of a more powerful technical equipment. This method can not be called budgetary (ordering an excavator costs a lot of money), but in the case of mass uprooting, it can be justified.
- Milling (crushing). Stumps are removed using the equipment of professionals - the stump rooter. The device has advantages when working with objects that are located near country houses, buildings and trunk communications. An excavator in this case can damage buildings. The disadvantage of the uprooter is its high price, but the device can be rented.
Many gardeners do not know how to uproot a stump without effort. This cannot be done quickly. Chemical methods suggest a longer decomposition of wood. They are used if it is not possible. arrange access to the stumps.
There are trees that are particularly survivable. For example, a dozen new shoots can grow from maple roots. In such trees, it is necessary to remove not only the remnants of the trunk, but also the entire root system. To make this easier by chemical etching. For this method, the following drugs are used: salt, herbicides, saltpeter.
Etching with saltpeter.
The simplest and most well-known method is etching stumps with nitrate. Most often, potassium nitrate is used, but sodium can be purchased. This will not affect the final result, but the removal technology is the same:
- Drill holes in the wood to a depth of 20 cm.
- Nitrate is poured into these holes, and then water is poured. 1 kilogram of nitrate is enough to etch a large stump.
- Then the wood is covered with a black film and tied with twine. So that the film is not blown away by the wind, the edges can be covered with earth.
It takes time to decompose wood, it depends on the thickness of the stump. You have to wait for the result from 6 months to one year, but the process of uprooting is not over here. After the wood has been shed, it can be burned. The remains will burn for several hours, emitting thick smoke. Care must be taken if near wooden buildings.
Important! This method is forbidden to apply in areas with peat soil to prevent underground burning.
There is a safer way to remove hemp residues after nitrate etching. You can do it yourself to destroy the part of the wood that is in the ground to the desired depth. This can be done with a crowbar and shovel.
The stump is sprinkled with dry salt or watered with strong saline. Sodium chloride, absorbed into the wood, slowly but surely destroys it. It takes 10 months to a year to turn a stump into dust, but this is not the biggest drawback of this method. All the soil around is saturated with salt and becomes unsuitable for planting. Neighboring plants within a radius of three meters may be affected.
Use of herbicides.
Herbicides "Roundup", "Zero", which are successfully used for weed removalcan also be used for pickling stumps. The procedure must be carried out on a sunny (preferably hot) day.
It is necessary to make deep cuts with an ax in the wood, fill them with the drug. To eliminate the stump no longer have to wait a lot of time. Herbicides are sometimes sprayed over the surface of the soil. As a result, the wood is easy to cut, and the roots removed from the ground.
Drugs do not accumulate in the soil, any plants can be planted on the site of the former stump.