The fruits of some varieties of tomatoes are not at all like traditional red tomatoes. However, the non-standard appearance attracts the attention of many lovers of the unusual. Tomato variety The amethyst jewel makes an ambiguous impression. Judging by the reviews of summer residents, tomatoes have a pleasant taste with a slight sourness and juicy pulp, slightly oily in sensations.
Characteristics of the variety
Tomato The Amethyst Jewel is a medium-ripening tomato that emerged as a result of the selection work of the American Brad Gates. Indeterminate bushes grow quite tall (over 180 cm) and require pinching.
The fruits ripen in a round, flattened shape and gain weight about 150-210 grams. The skin of ripe Amethyst Jewel tomatoes is fairly firm, not prone to cracking. Interestingly, the color of the fruit changes as it ripens: tomatoes in technical ripeness have a light purple hue, and upon final ripening, the area near the cutting becomes black and gently dissolves into a bright color at the top.
In the context, the tomatoes of the Amethyst Jewel variety have a pinkish tone (as in the photo). Juicy fruits are organically combined with various vegetables in salads and are excellent for preservation. A light touch of exotic fruit notes gives the salads a spicy flavor.
Features of the tomato variety Amethyst Jewel:
- can be grown in a greenhouse and open field;
- the bushes are spreading, medium-leafy. In an open area, the stem does not grow above one and a half meters;
- in greenhouse conditions, a tomato of the Amethyst Jewel variety begins to bear fruit 110-117 days after seed germination;
- 5-6 fruits are tied in the brush;
- high productivity;
- tomatoes are perfectly stored and tolerate long-term transportation well;
- long-term fruiting. In open field conditions, the fruits continue to ripen in September, and even later in greenhouse conditions.
The tomato variety Amethyst Jewel is characterized by resistance to many diseases. Some of the disadvantages of tomato can be considered its sensitivity to weather changes. The plant does not tolerate dry heat and low temperatures. For the normal development of tomatoes and abundant fruiting, the average temperature should be + 25˚ С.
Therefore, in the open field, this variety of tomatoes can be planted only in central Russia.
Manufacturers recommend sowing seeds 60-67 days before planting seedlings in open ground. The grains of this tomato variety are characterized by good and friendly germination.
- Prepare the potting soil in advance. The best option is to purchase ready-made land in a specialized store. The grains of the Amethyst Jewel are laid out in even rows on a moistened soil surface. The planting material is sprinkled with a thin layer of soil or peat crumb (no thicker than 5 mm). You can slightly moisten the entire surface of the soil from the watering can.
- To prevent the soil from drying out, cover the box with plastic wrap or glass. Until the seeds of the Amethyst Jewel have sprouted, the container is kept in a warm place (temperature approximately 23 ° C).
- As soon as the first shoots appear, the covering cloth is removed. When the first true leaves grow on the seedlings, the seedlings are carefully transplanted into separate cups / containers.
- For growing bushes with powerful stems, it is recommended to place two seedlings in a glass. When the seedlings of the Amethyst Jewel grow to a height of 13-15 cm, it is necessary to tie the stems with nylon thread. In the process of growth, the stems grow together, and the tip of the weak seedling is pinched. As a result, one bush is formed with a powerful sturdy stem.
Advice! In order for the seedlings to develop normally, the containers are kept in a lighted room, where a certain temperature is maintained around the clock (approximately 23-24 ˚ C).
After about one and a half to two weeks, you can begin to lower the temperature. This technique will promote the proper development of the first Amethyst Jewel brushes.
After two weeks, you can continue lowering the temperature (in the daytime up to + 19˚C, and at night - up to + 17˚C). But do not rush things too quickly and sharply reduce the degrees, as this can lead to a low formation of the first brush. For an indeterminate Violet Jewel, the first flower cluster needs to form between the 9th and 10th leaves. Otherwise, the volume of the harvest may significantly decrease.
When transporting seedlings, it is necessary to exclude the possibility of drafts, sudden temperature changes. The seedlings of the Amethyst Jewel must be transported in an upright position, covered with plastic wrap.
After planting tomatoes, the soil is slightly moistened. When placing the Amethyst Jewel tomatoes, keep an interval of 51-56 cm between individual bushes. To decorate the path between the beds, a strip 70-80 cm wide is enough.
Advice! To make it easier to care for the bushes and easier to fix them, the holes are dug out in a checkerboard pattern.
How to tie high grades
Trellises are erected over the bed with tomatoes of the Amethyst Jewel variety - structures that allow you to tie up tomato stems as they grow. Usually, the top bar is placed at a height of two meters. In greenhouse conditions, the stems of the Amethyst Jewel can grow taller than 2 m.
Important! In order not to cut off the very long stem of the Amethyst Jewel, it is thrown over the crossbar (wire) and fixed at an angle of 45˚. If the plant continues to grow vigorously, then at the level of 50-60 cm from the ground, pinch its top.
Top dressing of tomatoes
When choosing the composition of fertilizers, it is imperative to take into account the composition of the soil, climatic conditions, and the variety of tomato. A tall tomato Amethyst jewel is recommended to be fed in three stages.
- 10 days after planting the seedlings, the tomatoes are fed with ready-made nutritious mixtures of Humisol, Vermistil. Organic adherents can use a solution of poultry manure (1 part of fertilizer is diluted in 10 parts of water). To avoid rapid drying of the soil, it is recommended to mulch the soil (cut grass, straw, peat crumb). Mulch also slows down the germination of weeds.
- Two weeks after the formation of the ovaries on the second brush of the Amethyst Jewel, a top dressing is applied, consisting of a solution of chicken droppings with the addition of a tablespoon of the composition Solution and 3 grams of manganese and copper sulfate. Each plant requires 2 liters of combined fertilizer.
- At the beginning of the harvest, 2.5 liters of the combined composition used for the second top dressing are applied under the bush.
Important! Fertilizer should be applied while watering the Amethyst Jewel bushes. This will simplify the process of feeding, prevent root burns.
After the formation of the first inflorescence in the leaf axils, lateral shoots begin to grow in tomatoes. If the bushes are not formed, then all the nutrition of the plant will be directed to increasing the green mass.
In the indeterminate Violet Jewel, the process of lateral shoot formation does not stop. Therefore, in order to obtain a bountiful harvest, it is necessary to regularly pinch the tomato bushes.
In the climatic conditions of central Russia, any shoots and ovaries of the Amethyst Jewel, which formed in August, will no longer have time to fully form and mature. Therefore, it is recommended to trim them. You should also pinch all points of growth of the bushes at the beginning of August so that the plant does not waste food for further growth.
Important! For an earlier harvest of the Violet Jewel, stitching should be done every week. The bush can be formed from one, two or three stems.
In the conditions of central Russia, it is recommended to leave one or two stems in the bush. If initially it is planned to form bushes from one stem, then the seedlings can be placed more densely.
Unusual Tomatoes Amethyst Jewel exquisitely diversify the summer diet. Simple care of plants will allow even novice gardeners to grow this variety, and the original color of the fruits will become a real decoration of the summer cottage.
Liza Minskaya, Rostov-on-Don
I love experimenting with new and non-standard tomato varieties. The tomato Amethyst Jewel did not disappoint with either the appearance or the taste of the fruit. The excellent taste is liked by all loved ones, and the guests are simply delighted.
Anna Rudova, Krasnodar
I didn't like the variety Amethyst Jewel (weird taste of the fruit). Although the tomato is resistant to disease. I will not plant any more.
Natalia Usova, Minusinsk
The unusual caramel taste of the Amethyst Jewel brings real gastronomic pleasure. This variety of tomatoes is resistant to diseases, so I will definitely add tomatoes to my collection.