Timely and correctly carried out transplantation of indoor anthurium at home is the key to obtaining a beautiful and abundantly flowering decorative plant.
Anthurium transplant after purchase
After the purchase, many indoor flowers need replanting. Anthuriums, regardless of the type, belong to tropical plants, therefore it is very often received for sale in special transportation land, which is why it is very important to timely transplant the culture into a more suitable soil substrate and a quality flower pot with drainage holes.
At the bottom of the flower pot, you need to pour a quarter of the volume of the drainage layer, and then nutrient soil. In order not to injure the fragile root system of the decorative flower too much and remove the anthurium from the old landing tank as accurately as possible, soil needs to be watered plentifully.
You need to take out the plant from the flower pot very carefully, after which a careful examination of the root system and removal of all existing damage or rotten roots is carried out. Very effective is the treatment of rhizomes with Phytolavin. The treated root system of the anthurium must be immersed in a new flower pot and gently add earth mixture.
When adding soil, you need to gently tap on the walls of the pot, which will allow fresh soil to settle tightly and reduce the likelihood of air voids. A properly filled soil nutrient mixture should not reach the edges of the flower pot by about a couple of centimeters.
How to transplant anthurium after purchase
Transplant during flowering
Transplanting an indoor anthurium during flowering is not such a difficult event and, subject to technology, it negatively affects both the condition of the ornamental plant itself, as well as the buds and flowers. Even anthurium blooming in summer is quite easy to tolerate a transplant, if It is carried out according to the following recommendations:
- when transplanting flowering specimens, preference should be given to carefully handling the root system of the plant in a large pot;
- in the process of transplanting, the air roots of anthurium need to be lightly sprinkled with soil or covered with moistened moss;
- immediately after transplantation, it is advisable to top-dress with “Kornevin” or “Epin” preparations.
A transplanted flowering plant in a pot needs to be placed in a warm and bright place, with optimal performance, the most comfortable temperature and humidity. In case of violation of the technology of transplantation and subsequent care, anthurium often quite yellow leaves or flowers fall.
Correct Transplant Dates
The most favorable period for transplanting indoor anthuriums is considered to be the period from the beginning of spring to the last summer decade. In the first five years, it is advisable to transplant the plant annually. In the future, anthurium transplant is carried out every two to three years.
Quite often, a transplant accompanies the propagation of an overgrown indoor flower. The main condition for facilitating the adaptation of the plant to a new flower pot and soil mixture is to maintain a sufficiently high level of humidity, protection from cold and drafts, and, if necessary, shading from direct sunlight.
Plant division during transplantation
A transplant of an indoor anthurium is often combined with the procedure of vegetative propagation of a plant by dividing an adult bush. The first division of the anthurium bush is carried out not earlier than in the fourth or fifth year. Typically, this method is applied after the plant discard all the foliage, approximately in January-February. The procedure for dividing the bush is quite simple and accessible even to not experienced gardeners:
- carefully remove the anthurium from the flower pot;
- carefully divide the plant so that each part has an approximately equal amount of foliage and buds;
- The tangled and fused root system of the flower can be separated using sharp and clean scissors.
Separated plants can be planted in separate flower pots filled with nutritious soil substrate and carefully watered with settled water.
Features of growing anthurium
Pot and soil selection
A new flower pot for growing anthurium should be sized so that the root system of the plant has sufficient space for full growth and active development. However, acquiring too large a flower pot will provoke stagnation of water and, as a result, decay of the root system and subsequent death of the indoor flower. That's why, A quality flower pot should be wide enough, but not deep.
The best option for growing tropical indoor plants is the use of porous clay flower pots, but it is important to take into account such a feature of the planting capacity as the ability of an overgrown root system to grow firmly into the porous structure of the pot, which sometimes complicates the plant transplant process too much.
For this reason, many experienced domestic flower growers recommend giving preference to plastic or glass pots, as well as pots whose inner and outer sides are made of high-quality, glazed clay. Nevertheless, which landing capacity to prefer for the cultivation of decorative culture, only the owner of the anthurium has to decide.
To correctly determine the need for anthurium transplant, you can remove the root system of a room flower from a pot, and conduct a thorough examination. If the root system has grown and tightly braided the entire earthen lump, then Room decorative culture requires an urgent transplant according to the following technology:
- to prepare a high-quality planting soil based on part of the substrate for growing azaleas, part of universal soil, half part of crushed pine bark, a quarter of sphagnum moss, a quarter of crushed charcoal and a small amount of vermiculite;
- rinse the drainage and dry it a little, after which it is poured into the flower pot with a layer one third of the total volume of the landing capacity;
- remove the root system of the plant from the old pot and carefully, but carefully remove the old soil, then carefully rinse the fragile roots of the anthurium under warm running water;
- to dilute in a prepared container a solution based on the preparation "Fundazol" and soak in the solution the root system of ornamental culture, purified from soil, for about 40-45 minutes;
- check the root system of the plant before planting and carefully remove all decayed or damaged areas with a sharp and clean knife, and then treat the slices with chopped activated carbon.
At the final stage of the transplant, you need to pour flower soil into the prepared pot, and then place the anthurium without disturbing the natural location of the root system. Backfilling should be done carefully so as not to break the roots or shoots of the plant. The soil should be slightly compacted and sprayed with a solution based on copper sulfate.
Proper care after transplantation
Caring for anthurium after transplantation practically does not differ from measures for caring for already adult anthuriums. The plant should be kept in a warm room, without direct sunlight. It is important to regularly spray the aerial parts of the plant, and watering should be reduced, which will reduce the risk of decay of the weak after transplanting the roots. If necessary, the aboveground part can be tied to a support. The first top dressing is carried out not earlier than three weeks after transplantation.
Periodic transplantation is useful for all types and varieties of Anthurium, including the mix, because the structure and composition of the soil mixture in the flower pot is gradually deteriorating and the decorative culture does not grow well in such soil. Among other things, an excess amount of mineral components and pathogenic microflora can accumulate in old soil, which negatively affects the growth and development of decorative culture.