Goji berry is a dietary product that is rapidly gaining active use among supporters of a healthy diet, because only one handful replaces a daily portion of vegetables and fruits and can prolong life.
Where grows and what does ordinary dereza look like (goji)
The English name for the bush is Goji berry (goji berry), the Latin name is Lycium barbarum. The birthplace of the plant is Tibet. Some believe that these berries are related to barberry, but this opinion is erroneous. Plants have only an external resemblance.
In the wild, the plant grows in China, prefers to settle on the Himalayan slopes. Since the climate established on the foothills is not suitable for industrial cultivation, the main part of the product offered by the market is cultivated in neighboring agricultural areas. Of the more than four dozen varieties of plants with the scientific name Dereza, ordinary Dereza is grown. Since she is unpretentious in leaving, she is bred in Africa, Asian countries, central Russia, the mountains of the Caucasus and Ukraine.
The oblong bright red berry is a member of the nightshade family, known for their toxicity, for example, henbane and datura. Goji fruits are poisonous only in fresh form. After drying, they can be consumed without fear. Dried berries have a sweet taste and, according to some, resemble raisins, dried apricots or raspberries and nightshade.
A tall shrub, reaching 3 - 3.5 m, has prickly branches and thin stems, strewn with small leaves. During the flowering period, it is covered with lilac flowers, and then oblong medium-sized berries.
Other names for common dereza
Deciduous perennial has several names: wolfberry, bulldurgun, Tibetan (Chinese) barberry, lycium, lichium. In the Chinese province of Ningxia, residents call the gotsi berry. In some territories, the bush was called a wolf berry, but do not confuse it with a dangerous poisonous wolf bast.
About the features of growing dereza
Since the lice bush is characterized by unpretentiousness, even a beginner gardener can grow it independently. The plant prefers sunny places. For planting, seeds or seedlings are used. Young seedlings begin to bear fruit very early, a couple of years after planting.
Thanks to the highly branched root system, dereza grows rapidly. The plant is able to tolerate frosty winters and hot, dry summer months. It does not require frequent watering. It is enough to water 2 times a month.
After winter, the shrub requires top dressing. Fertilizers with potassium nitrate and urea are suitable. Ashes are recommended for alkaline soil. In late autumn, it is advisable to place dry foliage under the base of the plant and cover it with snow.
How to grow goji berries
The composition and nutritional value of ordinary dereza berries
Although almost all parts of a plant are valuable, the fruits are most valuable. Foliage and roots contain mineral and biologically active substances, many vitamins, phenolic compounds and steroid saponins.
As part of the berries are present:
- vitamins that strengthen the body;
- beta carotene;
- micro and macro elements;
- amino acids that slow the aging of the body;
- mono- and polysaccharides.
Collection, harvesting and storage of goji berries
For the manufacture of medicines, shrubs are most often used, in rare cases, foliage and root bark.
Harvesting ripe berries takes place in sunny weather so that the product is not wet. For practicality, it is recommended to spread a film or fabric under the bush and tap on the branches, upholding the fruits. Then iterate over from excess elements and spread out in a thin layer. For drying, it is advisable to choose a place protected from the sun. A sign that the berry has dried well is the exfoliation of the shell. Sealed packaging allows you to store raw materials for more than a year.
The healing properties of common dereza
Due to the variety of healing properties, Chinese berries have been nicknamed the remedy for a thousand ailments. In addition, the plant gives energy and prolongs life. The main beneficial actions include the following:
- the fight against neoplasms, the prevention of cancer, diabetes and Alzheimer's disease;
- strengthening the cardiovascular system, normalizing the heart muscle;
- the presence of polysaccharides that tone the body;
- thanks to the adaptogen, activity and endurance appear;
- replenishment of beneficial intestinal microflora and maintenance of its vital activity;
- hypertension prophylaxis;
- useful for vision lutein protects the lens from possible pathologies;
- regular use of berries eliminates excess fatty tissue;
- normalize the motility of the digestive tract, helps to eliminate harmful toxins;
- thanks to phytosterols, the hormonal background normalizes;
- since the substances that make up the fruits eliminate the deficiency of useful elements, the level of hemoglobin rises, sleep improves and depression passes;
- improvement of brain activity;
- lycopene has a beneficial effect on the gastrointestinal mucosa, activates the body's defenses and has a preventive effect on the cardiovascular system;
- glycosides lower glucose levels, which is especially important for patients with diabetes;
- able to restore damaged DNA structure.
It is possible that thanks to the Chinese miracle berries, the inhabitants of the Himalayan regions belong to the centenarians.
The healing properties of goji berries
The use of ordinary dereza in medicine
An unusual plant product has been used since ancient times in traditional medicine of Asian countries and cooking. Healing fruits will be included in the composition of various dishes and drinks. Daily it is not recommended to consume more than 30 g of dry product. Ways to use berries in food:
- Eat berries dry three times a day.
- A decoction of fruits. Brew 1 tablespoon of berries in hot water (300 ml) and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes. Remove and insist 1 hour. Then strain and add boiled water to the original volume. Berries remaining after filtration can be eaten.
- A decoction of the root bark. Combine a dessert spoon of dry product with boiled water (300 ml) and boil for 10 minutes. After an hour, strain and add boiled water to obtain 300 ml.
- Leaf infusion. Dry raw materials (1 spoon) pour boiling water (250 ml) and strain after a third hour.
In official medicine, berries are used as a natural aphrodisiac that increases potency. The Chinese plant is also used by those who want to improve the body, as well as lose extra pounds.
Goji berries for weight loss
Due to the content of vitamins and minerals, the digestive system normalizes, which leads to weight loss. In addition, the invigorating properties evoke activity, increasing energy costs and burning calories.
The use of dereza to control appetite began centuries ago. As it drowns out appetite, food intake is reduced.
In order to get rid of extra pounds with goji berries, The following tips must be followed:
- if there is a feeling of hunger during the diet, you should eat several berries or drink the juice prepared from them;
- the use of a drink from the fruit of dereza, which is prepared as follows: 30 - 40 g of berries to brew and insist for an hour.
It is useful to add fruit to yogurt or mix with muesli. To prepare a delicious aromatic tea, you need to put 1 tablespoon of berries in a thermos and pour hot water, but not boiling water (250 ml) and insist for half an hour. Optionally, the fruits can be passed through a blender. It is allowed to add some honey, lemon or orange to the tea. Such a drink is not recommended to drink with sugar.
Weight loss with goji berries takes a long time, so patience is required. The reward will be not only weight loss, but also stabilization of metabolic processes, normalization of the liver, gall bladder and normalization of blood sugar.
About contraindications and the harm of dereza
Since an overdose of fruits can cause symptoms similar to poisoning by poisonous plants, such as belladonna, they should not be abused. The patient has dilated pupils, accelerated heart rate, and dry mouth. Besides, Goji berries are prohibited in the following cases:
- a disease accompanied by fever;
- individual intolerance to any component that is part of the plant;
- the presence of an allergic reaction to pollen;
- impaired carbohydrate metabolism and problems with blood pressure;
- pathology of the respiratory tract (asthma, shortness of breath);
- tendency to frequent diarrhea;
- increased gas formation in the intestine;
- children under 3 years old.
How to brew goji berries
Since the opinion that increasing the dosage will lead to better results is erroneous, it is not recommended to take dereza berries in large quantities. You can buy the product in a pharmacy without a prescription. The cost depends on the region.