Rose Carousel is a young variety. Nevertheless, it has already become popular due to the graceful shape of the buds and the unusual two-tone color of the petals.
An elegant two-tone rose Carousel will adorn any area
In the first half of the last century (1924), the Danish scientist Sven Poulsen set himself the task of developing a frost-resistant variety of roses with high decorative qualities and good immunity to common rosaceous diseases. Poulsen achieved this goal - as a result of crossing of four species, musky, polyanthus, Pernetsian and hybrid tea, a new species was bred under the name "floribunda", which means "profusely flowering" in Latin. The variety was officially registered in 1952.
Later, the famous breeder Eugene Berner (director of the research center of the Jackson and Perkins company) took up further development of the floribunda species. For 45 years of his activity, he has bred more than 60 varieties of roses, among which was the Carousel.
The originator of the Karusel variety was De Ruiter (the Netherlands)
Description of rose carousel and characteristics
The floribunda carousel rose is a re-flowering, ornamental plant of the Rosaceae family of the floribunda group.
The flower has combined all the best qualities of its "parents". From the hybrid tea, the rose borrowed the graceful shape of the bud and a rich palette of shades, and it got its frost resistance and good immunity to diseases from the polyanthus.
The carousel blooms longer than the hybrid tea, although it is somewhat inferior to it in elegance. Floribunda's aroma is less intense.
Carousel bushes are compact, medium-sized and spreading. The average height of the shoots reaches 80-100 cm, the width of the bush is 60-70 cm.
The stems of the Carousel rose are erect, smooth, firm and tough, covered with a small number of small green or light brown thorns. The color of the shoots is dark green, sometimes with a brown tint.
Leaves are compound, pinnate, consist of several simple, independent, slightly bent outward petals, located on one common petiole. The leaf plates are roundly elongated, with a serrated edge, the color is deep green. Their front side is smooth, glossy, the back side is matte, with pronounced veins. Petiole leaves are arranged alternately on the stem. The petioles are finely pubescent, the leafiness of the shoots is intense.
The flowers of the Carousel rose are large, double, about 9 cm in diameter. The shape of the buds is classic, goblet. The glass is dense, with a high center, and consists of 20-25 petals. The flower basket is attached to a receptacle with five dense, elongated-sharp sepals of a green tone. In the core there is one wide pistil and many small thin stamens. However, due to the doubleness of the flower, it is almost impossible to see them at first glance.
The color of the petals of the Carousel rose is very interesting and unusual - at the core of the flower it is white, and towards the edges it smoothly turns into pink or red, sometimes purple. As we age, the red edges turn salmon pink. The aroma of the rose is light, barely noticeable.
A distinctive feature of the Carousel rose is the so-called bouquet bloom. Unlike tea varieties, in which flowers are located on the shoots one by one, on the tops of the stems of the Carousel rose they are collected in paniculate inflorescences resembling bouquets. Each of them can have a different number of flower baskets.
The flowering type of the Carousel variety is wavy. Periods of intense and almost simultaneous blooming of a large number of flowers alternate with relative rest. Central Russia is characterized by at least three such waves. With proper care, periods of dormancy are almost invisible, and therefore it seems that the rose blooms during the entire warm season.
In addition, a characteristic feature of the Carousel is the ability to quickly recover and give flowering shoots from the base of the bush. It is a re-flowering variety: flower buds are established throughout the season, which also ensures the continuity of budding of the rose bush.
The carousel, with proper care, will delight with its flowers all summer long
Carousel rose is stable in cut and retains its decorative effect for 10-12 days.
The fruits are a single-seeded box, which, by the way, experts recommend cutting off the bush in a timely manner, so that the plant does not waste energy on ripening the seeds.
The root system consists of one taproot and many skeletal roots extending from it. In turn, on the skeletal roots there are thinner filamentous roots, which are called suction roots.
Attention! The Carousel rose reaches full maturity in the third year of life after its root system is finally formed.
Advantages and disadvantages of the variety
Rose Carousel has practically no flaws. But this variety has many advantages.
Carousel rose can be recognized by the color of the petals
- high decorativeness;
- long flowering period;
- good frost resistance;
- immunity to common diseases;
- the possibility of propagation by cuttings and layering;
- ease of care.
- The carousel is inferior in elegance to hybrid tea roses;
- does not have a rich aroma;
- does not tolerate rain well (does not open the buds).
There are three ways to reproduce the Carousel rose:
- Seminal. When grown from seeds, varietal characteristics are not preserved. Therefore, this method is practically not used.
- Cuttings. Cuttings are cut from healthy shoots and planted in moist soil. After rooting, the planting material is transferred to a permanent place.
Advice! For better rooting, the cuttings create a greenhouse effect.
- Layers. To obtain layering, the shoot is bent to the ground and instilled. After rooting, they are separated from the mother bush and transplanted to another place.
Cutting is the most effective way to propagate a Carousel rose
Growing and care
Carousel rose is a light-loving plant. However, for its cultivation, you should choose a place that will be in the shade for several hours a day. Excessive exposure to direct sunlight can shorten the flowering period. In addition, the rose bush will suffer from excessive dryness and sunburn. The draft, which often occurs at the corners of buildings and in the aisles between them, will not be useful either.
A carousel rose is planted twice a year:
- in spring - from the third decade of April to the beginning of June;
- in autumn - from the second decade of September to the third decade of October.
High-quality seedlings have 2-3 developed lignified shoots and a full-fledged root system.
The roots of the seedlings are kept in water for several hours before planting. Damaged and dry parts of roots and shoots are cut to healthy tissue. In addition, healthy shoots are shortened to 204 buds, and roots to 25-30 cm.
Permeable sandy-clay soil is suitable for planting a rose. The planting site is prepared in advance - they dig up the soil to the depth of the shovel and add peat or organic fertilizers to it.
A rose seedling is placed in a previously prepared hole, the roots are straightened, covered with soil and lightly tamped in the root zone. The planting depth of the seedling is determined by the grafting site, which should be located 3-5 cm below the soil level.
The planted roses are spud to a height of 10-12 cm.
Attention! In order for the rose to take root faster, it needs to be shaded for 10-12 days. For this, an ordinary wooden shield, which is installed on the sunny side, is suitable.
Carousel rose care includes:
- Watering. It is a moisture-loving plant that requires regular irrigation. However, in different phases of growth, the rose is watered differently. The plant experiences a particular need for moisture at the beginning of the growing season, when the buds swell and leaves open, and after the end of the first flowering, when new shoots are formed. In late summer and autumn, roses are watered less frequently.
Advice! It is better to irrigate early in the morning or in the evening when the heat subsides. Water is poured under the root, moisture on the leaves can lead to the development of fungal diseases.
- Top dressing. For this, special complex combined fertilizers are used. Organic (rotted cow dung or compost) is applied to the soil before planting rose bushes.
- Loosening and removing weeds. Weeds are removed as they appear, the soil is loosened after each watering.
- Pruning. It is held for the roses Carousel every spring. First of all, dry, damaged and thin shoots are removed. Healthy stems are cut over the fifth bud. If you need to rejuvenate the bush, leave 2-3 buds. In summer, if necessary, formative pruning is done and old flowers are removed, preventing the seeds from ripening.
- Shelter for the winter. Carousel rose is resistant to low temperatures. However, in the middle lane, it is recommended to shelter it from the cold in case of a snowless winter. Rose bushes are covered with soil, sawdust, covered with spruce branches or special covering material, which can be purchased at a specialized store.
Attention! In the case of spring planting, the rose will need strength to root and form a bush. For this reason, in the first year, they are not allowed to bloom, cutting off all the buds.
Sanitary pruning is done in spring and autumn
Pests and diseases
Rose Carousel has good immunity to many diseases. But it happens that she also suffers from ailments typical for rose bushes:
- Powdery mildew. The presence of the disease is evidenced by a white coating on the leaves and buds. When the first signs of powdery mildew appear, the vegetative parts of the plant are treated with fungicides. The disease in its advanced stage is not treatable. Therefore, the affected bushes are removed from the garden and burned.
Powdery mildew affects all parts of the plant
- Rust. A symptom of the disease is the appearance of red-colored seals at the base of young shoots. A solution of Bordeaux liquid will help to cope with this disease, which is used to treat healthy parts of the plant after removing the affected ones.
Rust can kill the plant
Pests and pests annoy the flower:
- Green rose aphid. This pest feeds on plant sap, which leads to the defeat of young shoots, leaves and buds. To prevent the appearance of rose-colored aphids and to combat it, the bushes are treated with insecticides.
Aphids are a frequent visitor to carousel rose bushes
- Spider mite. Small white dots on the leaves indicate its harmful activity. You can cope with the pest with the help of insecticidal preparations.
The presence of a tick can be determined by the presence of a cobweb
Application in landscape design
In landscape design, Carousel roses are used to decorate flower beds, borders, rabatok, and also as a hedge.
Flowers of this variety look good both in single plantings and in company with other rosaceous, herbaceous perennials and ground cover plants.
The carousel is planted in large flowerpots that can be rearranged as you see fit. Some rose growers plant it on a stem and grow it as a rose tree.
Rose Carousel retains decorativeness in cut for a long time, which makes it possible to use it for making bouquets and other flower arrangements.
Carousel variety looks good in rose gardens with other shades
Rose Carousel - one of the most popular varieties, the main advantage of which is the long flowering period. Ease of care allows you to grow these flowers on your site not only for professionals, but also for novice rose growers.
Reviews and photos about rose Carousel
Elena Selivanova, 41 years old, Voronezh region
I planted a carousel rose in the garden. Bloomed in the first year. It was a pity to pick the flowers, but the seller advised me so. Now it has been growing for me for the fifth year, every time it blooms profusely, just the soul rejoices.
Kirill Ignatenko, 38 years old, Kaluga
For many years I have been growing flowers for sale. I planted the carousel for the first time and did not regret it. A very interesting color in combination with a graceful shape of the bud allows you to make beautiful flower arrangements. And in leaving, the rose is not particularly picky.
Nina Ryzhevskaya, 22 years old, Vladimir
I love roses very much, and, of course, did not pass by a new variety on the market. Moreover, the seller praised him very much. I decided to try it. This year my Carousel has bloomed to its fullest. I cannot say that it is very bright. However, thanks to the unusual color of the buds, the Carousel in the flowerbed looks beautiful.