Usually summer residents prefer cabbage varieties with high yields and disease resistance. Unpretentious care is of no small importance. Few varieties of cultivated plants have such characteristics, and among them is the Sugarloaf cabbage. In addition, it has become popular for its drought tolerance.
Description of Cabbage Sugarloaf
A similar variety belongs to the late-ripening group. On average, it fully matures in 3 months. The rosette of the cabbage is powerful, grows slightly sprawling, the diameter reaches 80 cm. The leaves of the culture are large, their shape is rounded, slightly wavy at the edges. Sugarloaf color is usually green, but a bluish bloom is present. Photo of Sugarloaf cabbage is presented below.
The head of cabbage of the Sugarloaf variety is large and dense
Heads of cabbage grow beautiful and even, have a spherical shape. The mass of an ordinary head of cabbage is about 3 kg, but sometimes large specimens are found. After harvesting, the heads of cabbage still ripen for one to two months. Then they are already eaten, since by that time they acquire a sweetish pleasant taste.
Advantages and disadvantages
According to summer residents, the advantages of the Sugarloaf cabbage variety include:
- high level of sweetness (much higher than that of other well-known varieties);
- lack of hard veins;
- the presence in the composition of many vitamins, trace elements;
- long shelf life, during which all nutritional qualities are preserved;
- resistance to prolonged drought;
- excellent germination of sowing material;
- resistance to diseases and pests.
The most significant disadvantages of Sugarloaf cabbage are:
- exactingness to change the sowing area;
- the need for good lighting (can not be planted in shaded areas).
The considerable popularity of Sugar Loaf is dictated by the obvious prevalence of advantages over disadvantages.
White cabbage yield Sugarloaf
This variety gives a fairly high yield, reaching 6 kg per 1 m2 of plantings. The weight of a common head of cabbage is approximately 3 kg. The latter is characterized by high density.
Planting and caring for cabbage Sugarloaf
It is recommended to grow the variety using seedlings. Its preparation begins in April. The seed needs separate pre-sowing procedures. It is left in a solution of potassium permanganate for 12 hours, then washed with water, dried.
The land for future landing can be prepared on your own. For this purpose, sod, peat, sand are mixed in equal proportions. Peat pots are perfect as crockery for plants.
Important! Sugarloaf cabbage roots are difficult to transplant. Peat container excludes any damage to the root system when transferred to the site.
The pots should be placed in a lighted place without drafts, direct sunlight. The temperature regime in the room should be within 21-25 C °.
Important! On the eve of planting seedlings on the beds, hardening is carried out. For this purpose, it is periodically exhibited on the balcony. The duration of the procedure increases until it reaches several hours.
Seedlings are planted in fertilized soil
At the beginning of summer, after the appearance of four leaves, the Sugarloaf cabbage seedlings are planted on the beds in the prepared soil. An ash solution is used as fertilizer. The site is chosen with good lighting.
Attention! Before placing the seedlings in the hole, it is recommended to put a little superphosphate on its bottom. This will give the plant the strength to establish itself quickly.
During growth, the culture needs feeding. For this, an aqueous solution of manure is used. It is used 2 times.
The root system is strengthened as a result of hilling bushes, which is carried out subject to the formation of 10-12 leaves. This procedure will additionally help to form lateral roots.
Watering is carried out 1-2 times for 3 weeks. During the period of heading formation, the need for water increases.
Watering cabbage is performed as the earth dries out
Caring for the Sugar Loaf also includes periodic loosening of the soil near the plants, timely removal of weeds.
Diseases and pests
Sugarloaf cabbage is disease resistant, but lack of plant care can trigger some diseases. Among the most common are the following:
- Bacteriosis. Yellowing of the outer parts of the leaves is observed with further darkening and dropping. To prevent such a disease, high-quality seed is used, the necessary crop rotation is observed, and prophylaxis is made with Phytolavin. In case of an infection that has already arisen, the Planriz tool will help.
- Powdery mildew is false. White bloom appears on the surface of the leaves. As a preventive measure: on the eve of sowing, the seeds are kept in warm water for 25 minutes, the plants are revitalized with ammonium nitrate. When the disease spreads, spraying with a solution of copper sulfate helps.
- Cabbage butterfly. Infected leaves turn pale, and plants die over time. Sowing dill, parsley nearby cabbage beds significantly reduces the likelihood of spreading the disease.
- Fusarium. When infected, yellow spots appear on the leaves. In order to prevent the disease, it is recommended to process the culture with copper sulfate or a special agent "Agate". Affected plants should be removed from the garden immediately.
- Keela. Occurs when a pathogenic fungus appears. Subsequently, the growth of the culture slows down or stops, sometimes the plants die. Liming the soil, observing the correct crop rotation, processing with potassium permanganate on the eve of planting will help prevent the spread of the fungus. Infected specimens of cabbage must be destroyed.
The most dangerous pests for Sugarloaf cabbage:
- Aphid. Usually it sticks to the sheets from the back. The high activity of aphids is observed at the end of the summer period and throughout the entire autumn.
- Cruciferous bugs. They spread over the surface of cabbage leaves, feed on its juices.
- Thrips. They cannot be seen with the naked eye. When charged, the plant loses its color and soon dies.
Effective insect control agents:
They are also used for spraying the ground around plants.
Attention! Careful observance of crop rotation, timely disposal of weeds significantly reduces the likelihood of diseases and the attack of harmful insects.
Cabbage dishes have a pleasant taste
Since this variety has good taste and contains more nutrients than other species, it is more often used for everyday cooking and salting. Such cabbage is well preserved, which significantly prolongs its fresh use for cooking.
Cabbage storage Sugarloaf
All top leaves are removed from the heads of the harvested crop, and then dried. It is impossible to keep the crop moist, in such conditions it will quickly rot. Be sure to inspect the coils for any damage. Slightly tainted copies are kept in a separate box. The rest of the cabbage is sorted.
The place for storing the crop should be dry, darkened, equipped with a ventilation system. Suitable storage temperature is in the range from -1 C ° to +4 C °, permissible humidity is 90-95%. In the right conditions, Sugarloaf cabbage does not spoil until spring, does not lose its taste.
White cabbage Sugarloaf belongs to the late ripening varieties. She is completely undemanding in care, has good immunity to dangerous diseases. This healthy and tasty product is suitable for regular consumption, as it contains a lot of nutrients that are beneficial to the body. They keep excellent even for a long time.
Reviews about Sugarloaf cabbage
Anastasia, 34 years old, Rostov.
The variety was purchased on the recommendation of the seller. Since there is little rain in our area in summer, I was looking for drought-resistant cabbage. As a result, my hopes were justified. Watering was performed once every 7-8 days, which was quite enough. The heads of cabbage have grown round, dense. Harvested with the arrival of frost. It lay there until next summer (it didn't deteriorate). I recommend planting the Sugarloaf cabbage variety.
Elena Ivanovna, 54 years old, Moscow.
I have been using this variety for 5 years now. I like that it is late, sweetish, and lasts a long time. I irrigate regularly on my plot, due to which the heads of cabbage grow huge - about 3 kg each. I start up the initial batch of the Sugarloaf cabbage for home fermentation, most of it is preserved throughout the winter. I tried other varieties of cabbage, but their characteristics are much worse. I decided to stop at the Sugarloaf. All family members support my choice.