Cherry jam is the most common option for harvesting this berry for future use. The finished product has a pleasant taste, color and aroma. You can use it immediately after preparation or leave it for the winter.
How to cook cherry jam correctly
Attention! Berries of any color are suitable for jam: white, yellow, with pink sides, red and almost black.
But it must be remembered that it is not recommended to mix fruits of different colors.
The best jam is obtained from ripe and juicy berries, so you should choose just such for processing. You can cook them with or without seeds.
Before cooking, cherries need to be prepared:
- go over;
- remove all berries that are not suitable for processing, for example, wormy or rotten;
- wash the rest and drain off the water.
Some housewives advise piercing cherries with seeds before lowering them in boiling water, so that they boil less and retain their shape better.
You need to cook the product over low heat so that it does not burn and spoil.
There are two ways to make cherry jam:
- Fast, when the berries are boiled for a short time after boiling and immediately sealed in jars.
- Long-term, in which they are boiled several times so that they can boil.
In the first case, the syrup is liquid, in the second - thicker.
Which of the ways to choose - each housewife decides for herself.
The nutritional value of the product depends on how much sugar is put in it, but on average, the calorie content of sweet cherry jam prepared according to the classic recipe is about 230 kcal, which makes it quite satisfying.
Despite this, the benefits of white cherry jam, as well as from its other varieties, are very obvious: it contains a lot of vitamins and mineral salts. Properly prepared, it retains these substances in almost the same volume in which they were in the fresh product. The difference between white fruit jam and colored jam is only that it cannot cause allergies, since there are no substances in light berries that can cause it.
It is better to use enameled or stainless steel cookware, but not aluminum, so that organic acids do not react with the metal. It is better to take small jars for packaging the finished product: this way the jam is used more rationally.
Traditional recipe for cherry jam
The classic recipe involves making jam only from cherries and sugar, without adding any other ingredients.
Important! You can use 2 cooking options: cook with or without seeds.
Depending on the selected method, the cooking sequence will vary.
Pitted sweet cherry jam recipe
You will need cherries (ripe and always juicy) and granulated sugar in a 1 to 1 ratio.
- Remove all seeds from the fruit (by hand or using a special device), then cover them with sugar and set for about 6 hours so that they can let the juice flow.
- Put on fire and after they boil, cook for no longer than 5-10 minutes.
- Remove foam and remove from heat.
- Allow to cool completely at room temperature, and then repeat the cooking and infusion process 2 more times.
- At the end of the third approach, spread the product into cans with a capacity of 0.33–0.5 liters and roll up.
Sweet cherry jam recipe with bone
You can cook berries without removing the seeds.
You will need:
- 1 kg of berries and sugar that have reached ripeness;
- 2 tbsp. water;
- some citric acid if desired.
- Make cherry jam syrup: dissolve sugar in water and boil the mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour berries into boiling syrup and wait until it boils.
- Let it brew and boil.
- Repeat 2 more times with an interval of 6 hours.
- At the end of the last cooking, add citric acid.
- Pack into small jars and seal.
Sweet cherry jam "Pyatiminutka" with stone
Important! This jam assumes minimal heat treatment of berries, so all vitamins are preserved in it.
Making such a jam is very easy:
- Add 1 kg of berries to 1 kg of sugar, leave for half a day, so that the juice can stand out from them.
- Put on fire, boil and cook for no longer than 5 minutes.
- Add a little citric acid if desired to add sourness to the preparation.
- Immediately put the finished product in a sterile container and roll up.
Sweet cherry jam "Pyatiminutka" without pits
You need to cook it in the same way as the "five-minute" jam with seeds, then just first remove all the seeds from the berries. The express product turns out to be no less tasty and aromatic than the one prepared with the use of infusion.
It can be eaten as a separate dish, for example served with tea, and also used as a filling for sweet pies. This pitted five-minute cherry jam recipe is called Tsarskoe, because it turns out to be incredibly tasty and with a pleasant structure.
How to cook cherries in your own juice
Cherries prepared according to this recipe are considered the most delicious. It is enough to cook it once, but you need to use sterilization.
- Sprinkle the berries with granulated sugar (1 to 1).
- After the juice is released, spread the mass into 0.5-1 liter cans, put them in a deep saucepan and fill with water so that it does not slightly reach the shoulders of the cans.
- After boiling water in a saucepan, it should be sterilized for 10-15 minutes, then placed in jars and sealed tightly.
Thick cherry jam with gelatin
If you want to make thick jam, you need to add gelatin to it. At the same time, it is not necessary to keep cherries on the stove for a long time: gelatin will make it thick and without boiling.
- Wash berries in the amount of 1 kg, remove seeds from them, immerse in a blender and chop.
- Pour 0.5 kg of sugar into the mass, cook for 15 minutes, at the end adding 3 g of citric acid.
- To thicken the cherry jam, it is necessary to dissolve the gelatin separately (1 tbsp. L. In a glass of boiling water) and let it infuse until it swells.
- Pour into hot jam and bring to a boil.
- Arrange in jars, roll them up.
How to make white and yellow cherry jam
White cherry jam turns out to be very light, but no less tasty than made from dark berries.
Components you need:
- berries 1 kg and the same amount of sugar;
- 1 large lemon with a thick skin.
How to cook?
- Remove seeds from berries, cover them with sugar, add nuts to them and put everything on fire.
- When it's cooked for 10 minutes, put lemon pulp, chopped in a blender, into the mass.
- Cook for another 15 minutes and roll up.
In this way, you can make yellow cherry jam. As a result, it will turn out to be a pleasant yellow color and with a slight sourness.
A simple recipe for cherry jam with tails
Some housewives prepare this jam without removing the tails. If you want to make a dessert according to this recipe, you need to pick the berries from the tree along with the stalks. You do not need to take out the seeds, just gently wash and cook the fruits in the "five-minute" mode. This jam looks original in jars and on the table.
Cherry jam without cooking
Its preparation differs in that you do not need to cook the berries.
- Grind the washed and pitted cherries in a blender until smooth.
- Cover with granulated sugar 1 to 1 or even 1 to 2.
- Divide in 0.5 liter jars, close with tight plastic lids and refrigerate, where to store constantly.
How to make sugar-free cherry jam
Advice! If the cherries are very sweet, you can make the jam without sugar.
So that such a jam does not disappear, it must be boiled well.
The berries need to be washed, seeds removed from them, passed through a meat grinder and cooked until a homogeneous mass is formed and thickened.
What can be combined with cherries
It goes well with many berries and fruits:
The blank with nuts is especially piquant. They give the cherry jam a tart flavor.
Sweet cherry and orange jam recipe
- 1 kg of berries;
- 1 kg of sugar;
- 0.5 kg of oranges.
- Sort the berries, remove the seeds, sprinkle with sugar.
- When they let the juice in, pour the juice squeezed from the oranges into the mass.
- Put everything on fire and cook until thick.
"Sweet cherry in chocolate", or sweet cherry jam with cocoa
- 1 kg of fruits and sugar;
- 3 tbsp. cocoa powder;
- 1 cinnamon stick
How to cook?
- Mix the pitted berries with sugar, add a little water, put on low heat and wait until it boils.
- Pour cocoa and cinnamon into the mass, mix everything and cook for 10-15 minutes.
This jam gets a nice "chocolate" taste and smell.
Strawberry and cherry jam
1 kg of strawberry and cherry fruits;
- 1.5-2 kg of sugar;
- 0.5 tsp citric acid.
- Sort the berries, wash, remove the seeds.
- Sprinkle everything with granulated sugar and boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes, pour citric acid or juice squeezed from lemons into the mass.
- Boil again and put the jam in small jars.
- Put them to cool.
Cherry and cherry jam
For him you will need:
- 1 kg of dark cherries and cherries;
- 1.5-2 kg of granulated sugar.
- Remove the seeds from the washed berries, put the fruits in a saucepan, sprinkle with sugar on top and leave for 6 hours to let them juice.
- Boil after boiling for 5 minutes, leave to cool.
- Repeat cooking two more times, then place the cherry-cherry mass in steamed jars.
"Cherry on cognac"
- cherry fruits and sugar - 1 kg each;
- cognac - 0.25 l;
- cloves and cinnamon to taste.
- Cherry pitted, sprinkled with sugar, put the juice.
- Heat it over a fire and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Pour brandy into the hot mass and boil.
- Fill and seal immediately.
Warning! Jam with the addition of cognac contains alcohol. This must be taken into account when giving it to children.
Sweet cherry jam with raspberries
- 1 kg of red or black cherries and ripe raspberries;
- sugar - 1.5 kg;
- 2 tbsp. water.
- Mix seedless berries with sugar.
- After 6 hours, when the juice appears, put on low heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- After the mass has cooled down, repeat the cooking 2 more times.
- Add raspberries for the last time and cook for a little longer than before.
- Place the hot gruel in a sterilized container and roll up.
- After natural cooling, store in a cool cellar or basement.
How to make lemon and cherry jam
Take 1 large lemon for 1 kg of berries.
Cook the jam according to the traditional recipe, adding lemon juice to it at the very end of cooking.
Cool the rolled up jars and store in a dry, dark place.
Cherry jam with nuts
You can make white cherry jam with walnuts, then add 0.5 kg of chopped nut kernels to the main products. To add flavor, you can put 1 vanilla pod in it.
Pitted white cherry jam with nuts is a wonderful dessert that can be eaten as a separate sweet dish or made into a delicious filling for pies.
Cherry jam with cinnamon
Cinnamon gives cherry jam a special persistent aroma that many people like.
- 1 kg of sugar and fruits;
- 1 tsp seasoning.
The cooking method is classic.
How to make cherry mint and lemon jam
You can cook dessert according to the previous recipe, where lemon is indicated as an additional ingredient.
Put a few mint leaves at the end of cooking, and remove them before distributing the jam in containers.
Sweet cherry jam recipe with nuts, cinnamon and lemon
You will need:
- 1 kg of light cherries and sugar;
- 1 tbsp. water;
- about 200 g of nuts;
- 1 large lemon;
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash the berries, remove the seeds, replacing them with ¼ walnut kernels.
- Add sugar and cinnamon, add water, cook like a "five-minute".
- Repeat the cooking process 2 more times after 6 hours of settling.
- Add lemon juice after boiling at the end of the last time.
Cherry jam with lemon and nuts
You need to take:
- 1 kg of berries and sugar;
- 2 tbsp. water;
- 200 g chopped nuts;
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice.
- Sprinkle the cherries with the seeds removed from them with sugar, pour in a glass of cold or warm water and leave to give juice.
- Pour nuts into them, previously cut into small pieces.
- Cook the mass for 5 minutes, then let it cool to room temperature.
- Cook twice more with an interval of 6 hours.
- Pour lemon juice into the last cooking.
Vanilla-cherry jam with lemon
You can cook it by following the previous recipe, but without nuts.
The difference between this option is that in the last cooking you need to add another ¼ h. Of vanilla to the workpiece.
How to cook cherry jam in a slow cooker
In order not to stand at the stove, you can use a multicooker and cook the workpiece in it.
It is necessary to immerse the prepared fruits together with sugar in the bowl and select the "Cooking" mode. The cooking process takes about 15 minutes, after which the jam can be covered.
Secrets of making sweet cherry jam in the microwave
Advice! You can also cook cherry jam in the microwave, and very quickly.
- Stir seedless fruits with sugar (1 to 1) and leave until juiced.
- Divide the mass into 0.5 liter cans.
- Place each in the microwave and keep at maximum temperature for 5 minutes.
- Put to cool.
- Repeat cooking 2 more times.
- Roll up the jars and place for natural cooling in the room.
Terms and conditions of storage of sweet cherry jam
All homemade products are kept in the cold and dark, so they last longer.
You can leave them in the room, but in warmth and under sunlight, conservation is stored much worse (no more than 1 year).
In a cellar, basement or refrigerator, any jam can remain usable for about 2-3 years.
Cherry jam, made only from these berries or with the addition of other ingredients, is a wonderful dessert that can become a favorite for the whole family: both for adults and children. You just need to adhere to the rules of preparation so that it turns out delicious and is stored for a long time.