Jam from oranges and lemons has a rich amber color, an unforgettable aroma and a pleasant jelly-like consistency. With its help, you can not only diversify the range of blanks for the winter, but also pleasantly surprise guests at the festive table. It is no more difficult to prepare than any other preservation, but the benefits of citrus are much greater.
Secrets of making jams from lemons and oranges
The most important secret of a delicious treat is the selection of the main ingredients. Oranges and lemons are chosen the most ripe and juicy. They will yield a greater product yield and richer taste.
Overseas fruits, before being sent to jam, must be thoroughly cleaned. They are washed in soapy water with a brush. After that, the fruit is dried with a paper or cotton towel.
Attention! Citrus jam can also be called marmalade or jam.
There are many successful recipes for jams made from oranges and lemons with and without peels, as well as with the addition of other fruits and spices. Dessert can be prepared from the pulp or just using the zest, through a meat grinder and even in a slow cooker. In each case, a fragrant delicacy is obtained that will be loved by both adults and children.
Orange and lemon jam through a meat grinder
To get the most uniform mass, citrus fruits need to be chopped. The best option would be to use a meat grinder. But first, oranges and lemons need to be prepared.
To make jam from oranges and lemons through a meat grinder, you will need the following ingredients:
- oranges - 4 pcs.;
- lemons - 2 pcs.;
- sugar - 500 g;
- water - 100 ml.
How to cook a treat:
- Citrus fruits are prepared first. Put them in a large deep bowl and scald with boiling water. This will reveal the essential oil they contain.
- After that, the fruits are cut into 4 parts. It is also possible by 8, so that the grinding process is faster.
- In the next step, all bones are removed.
- Now they move on to grinding through a meat grinder. A nozzle with small holes is installed on the device and the fruit is passed through. This should be done in a deep bowl to collect all the resulting juice.
- The fruit mass is placed in a cooking pot. For these purposes, use special dishes with a non-stick bottom or a pan made of thick material so that the brew does not burn during the process.
- Then sugar and water are added. The amount of water can be increased if the fruit is not juicy enough.
- After boiling, the jam is simmered for 25 minutes.
- Now turn off the fire, open the lid of the pan and cool the jam for 4-5 hours. During this time, the sweet syrup and the peel of the fruit will have time to optimally combine.
- After the specified time, the jam is again put on the fire and boiled for 10 minutes.
The fragrant jam is ready, it can be served chilled, or immediately rolled into sterilized jars.
Orange and lemon jam with peel
Using peeled fruits for cooking helps to achieve the most intense aroma. It also contains a large amount of vitamins, the amount of which does not decrease even after cooking. It will be interesting if you do not grind fruits into a homogeneous mass, but cut them into circles.
- oranges - 1 kg;
- lemons - 1 kg;
- sugar - 1 kg;
- water - 200 ml.
- Without chopping, put the fruits in a saucepan, pour boiling water over them so that they are completely covered and soak for 10 minutes.
- Then the citruses are transferred to another container with cold water and left overnight.
- In the morning, cut the fruit into slices 1 cm thick and remove the seeds.
- Pour water into a saucepan, add sugar and mix.
- Sliced citrus fruits are spread in the prepared syrup and left for 4 hours to soak.
- Bring to a boil over low heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- After that, the fire is turned off, the jam is insisted for 2 hours. Then it is heated again and boiled for 10 minutes. After 2 hours, repeat the procedure.
Fragrant, maximally saturated with juice, the jam is ready and can be poured into jars.
Raw orange and lemon jam
Aromatic jam made from juicy oranges and lemons can be made without boiling. This will require:
- lemon - 1 pc.;
- orange - 1 pc.;
- sugar - 150 g
The procedure for making jam in 5 minutes:
- Citrus fruits are washed and cut into slices, seeds are removed and passed through a meat grinder.
- Mix everything in a separate container, then add sugar and stir again.
Important! Use only dry, clean storage containers.
The tasty treat is ready to eat. It is appropriate to serve it with baked goods or tea. Store the jam in small glass jars in the refrigerator.
Lemon and Orange Peel Jam with Curls
Among other recipes for jam from oranges and lemons, jam with "Curls" from zest is especially popular. It turns out not only tasty, but also very presentable.
- oranges - 3 pcs.;
- lemon - 1 pc.;
- sugar - 300 g;
- water - 300 ml.
To prepare a treat, you must:
- The fruits are cut into 4 parts, the pulp is separated from the rind.
- After that, the zest is cut into narrow strips and laid out in an enamel pan.
- Then it is poured with water so that it completely covers the contents, and left overnight. Ideally, the water is changed every 3-4 hours, so it is possible to get rid of bitterness as much as possible. During this time, the zest will curl into interesting curls, which will become the main decoration of the dish.
- In the morning, drain the water. The resulting curls must be strung on a thread with a needle.
- The resulting beads are placed in a saucepan.
- Then add water, cook for 20 minutes. After that, the water is drained and the cooking process is repeated 4 more times.
- Beads are taken out of the zest, the liquid is allowed to drain.
- Pour 300 ml of water into an enamel pan, add sugar and wait until the water boils.
- As soon as the water boils, the curls are removed from the thread and placed in a saucepan. Cook for another 35 minutes, add the juice of one lemon. Then the cooking process is repeated.
The jam is poured into small jars and served once for a treat.
Delicate lemon, orange and kiwi jam
Kiwi gives the dish additional softness and subtle sweetish notes. For this recipe, it is best to use peeled citrus fruits to completely eliminate even the slightest bitterness.
- oranges - 0.5 kg;
- lemons - 0.5 kg;
- kiwi - 1 kg;
- sugar - 1 kg.
- The fruit is peeled and cut into cubes.
- Fall asleep with sugar and leave until the juice appears.
- Bring the jam to a boil over low heat, cook for another 10 minutes.
- Then leave for 2-3 hours and repeat the cooking 4 more times.
The jam is ready to eat.
How to make lemon and orange jam in a slow cooker
The multicooker will always come to the rescue of the hostess. In it, the dishes do not burn and turn out to be especially tender.
To make jam from lemons and oranges, you will need:
- oranges - 4 pcs.;
- lemon - 0.5 pcs.;
- sugar - 100 g;
- water - 100 ml.
- The washed citrus is cut in half and the pulp is removed. For better consistency, get rid of white veins.
- Juice is pressed from lemon.
- All the ingredients are put into the multicooker bowl.
- Select the "Steam cooking" mode. After boiling, cook for 5 minutes. Disconnect, leave for 2 hours and boil again for minutes. Repeat 1 more round.
- The resulting mixture is poured into another container and chopped with a blender.
- After that, the jam is placed in a multicooker bowl and the last round of boiling is performed.
Now you can use a fragrant and incredibly delicate delicacy.
How to store lemon orange jam
The storage rules for such preservation do not differ from other types. The main conditions are:
- Stable air temperature.
- Average humidity.
- Lack of sunlight.
In private homes, banks are lowered into a cellar or basement. They can also be put in a closet or closet, but not in the kitchen next to the stove. Jam, which is prepared without boiling or not rolled up in jars, is stored in the refrigerator. These products are best consumed within 2-3 months.
Jam from oranges and lemons can surprise even the most demanding gourmets. If you spend a little more time and carefully prepare citrus fruits, removing all partitions, you get an incredibly delicate delicacy. But with no less appetite, they also consume a delicacy that has a slight bitterness, which gives it additional sophistication.