Bird cherry compote is a fragrant drink with an unusual taste that will warm you in cold winter and saturate the body with vitamins and other useful substances.
The benefits and harms of cherry compote
Due to the high content of vitamins and microelements in bird cherry, compote has the following beneficial properties:
- phytoncytes, malic and citric acids, which are found in large quantities in fruits, have a bactericidal effect;
- vitamins and minerals stimulate the immune system;
- due to ascorbic acid, insecticidal and fungicidal properties are formed;
- benzene aldehyde and anthocyanins have analgesic effects;
- tannins provide an astringent effect;
- essential and fatty oils, rutin have a regenerative effect;
- organic acids and atocyanins have anti-inflammatory effects;
- hydrocyanic acid has a disinfecting effect;
- glycasides and flavonoids provide a diuretic and diaphoretic effect;
- phytoncides in combination with vitamins have a tonic effect on the body;
- hydrocyanic acid has a disinfecting effect.
Despite a lot of useful properties, bird cherry compote can be harmful. Hydrocyanic acid, which is part of the plant, is a deadly poison in large quantities.
Attention! Also, a contraindication is the increased sensitivity of the body to the components of bird cherry.
People suffering from constipation need to drink bird cherry compote with caution, as it can provoke stool retention.
Children under the age of three are advised to refrain from drinking the drink: it can cause allergies and adversely affect the work of the gastrointestinal tract.
Fruits contain a lot of sugar, so diabetics and people on a diet should not introduce bird cherry compote into their diet.
Rules for cooking bird cherry compote
The compote will turn out bright and fragrant if you use ripe berries for its preparation. They should not be wormy, without traces of rot. The spoiled fruits are removed, otherwise the compote from black and red bird cherry will not survive until winter.
Before use, the berries are removed from the branches, washed thoroughly and dried on a disposable towel.
The containers into which it is planned to roll the compote are sterilized, and the lids are boiled or simply scalded with boiling water.
The filled container is rolled up with a special key, then turned over and left to cool completely, wrapped in a warm cloth.
Bird cherry compotes are prepared without sterilization, or filled jars are additionally boiled in a saucepan. The last method is to guarantee the safety of the drink throughout the winter.
The technology can be lightened by using the technique of double filling, blanching.
The classic recipe for bird cherry compote for the winter
- 1.5 tbsp. powdered sugar or fine sugar;
- 1.5 liters of drinking water;
- 1 kg of bird cherry berries.
- It is good to sort out the berries of the bird cherry, discard the rotten, spoiled and crumpled fruits.
- Rinse the main ingredient under running water, discard in a colander, rinse and leave to glass excess liquid.
- Boil water in a saucepan, add sugar, stir and leave on low heat for 5 minutes until sugar dissolves.
- In a separate saucepan, bring water to a boil, dip the bird cherry in it and cook over low heat for 5 minutes, remove from the stove and discard the berries in a colander.
- Transfer the bird cherry to a saucepan, pour over the syrup, close the lid tightly and leave overnight.
- Rinse the jars, pour over with boiling water. Remove the berries from the syrup, arrange in jars. Boil the syrup and pour the bird cherry to the top with boiling liquid. Roll up with a special key, turn over and leave to cool, wrapped in an old jacket.
Red cherry compote for the winter
Red bird cherry, unlike ordinary fruits, has a richer taste, without astringency. It is used to make jams, baking fillings and compotes.
- 5 g citric acid;
- 2.5 liters of drinking water;
- ½ kg of granulated sugar;
- 900 g of red bird cherry.
- Carefully sort out the berries, thoroughly rinse the fruits under running water.
- Banks are washed with soda solution, sterilized over steam or in the oven, or simply doused with boiling water.
- Pour water into a saucepan, add half a kilogram of sugar. Boil for a minute from the moment of boiling.
- Citric acid is added to the berries. Fruits in a jar are poured with boiling syrup, covered with a boiled lid and rolled up with a key. The jar is wrapped in a blanket, turned upside down, and left to cool for a day.
A simple recipe for bird cherry compote without sterilization
A simple bird cherry compote is not sterilized, so it is important to follow all the rules of sterility. The berries are sorted out, washed and dried. The amount of sugar can be increased, but it is not recommended to reduce it.
- 2.6 liters of filtered water;
- ½ kg of bird cherry;
- 5 g citric acid;
- 300 g of fine sugar.
- The berries are removed from the branches, the tails are cut off, washed under running water and dried on a towel. Transferred to a glass container, after sterilizing it over steam or in the oven.
- Water is combined with sugar in a saucepan, put on the stove and brought to a boil. Boil for a minute.
- The berries are laid out in sterile containers. Citric acid is added. The contents are poured with boiling syrup to the very neck, covered with a sterile lid and immediately rolled up with a key. Leave until completely cooled, wrapped in an old jacket.
Important! Citric acid can be replaced with freshly squeezed citrus juice.
Recipe for a healthy compote from bird cherry and rose hips for the winter
The technology used to prepare this drink avoids sterilization of cans. Compote is prepared in 2 stages, it will take several hours for the ingredients to be infused in the syrup. The drink turns out to be rich, tasty and vitamin.
- 2.3 liters of spring water;
- 200 g bird cherry;
- 270 g granulated sugar;
- ½ kg of bird cherry.
- Pour sugar into a saucepan with boiling water and boil for 3 minutes.
- Rosehip and bird cherry berries are sorted out, washed well, but not dried.
- The ingredients are dipped in a saucepan with boiling syrup, stirred and the heat is immediately turned off. Cover and leave for 5 hours.
- Banks are prepared, washed with soda solution and sterilized. Remove the berries from the syrup with a slotted spoon and put them in containers.
- The syrup is placed on the stove and boiled for about 5 minutes. The main ingredients are poured with boiling liquid, the jars are hermetically sealed, turned over, covered with a warm blanket and left to cool completely.
How to make bird cherry, cherry and sea buckthorn compote
Thanks to the use of several types of berries at once, the drink is aromatic and tasty.
- 200 g cherries;
- 230 g rose hips;
- 1 liter of spring water;
- 200 g granulated sugar;
- 100 g sea buckthorn;
- 280 g of bird cherry.
- Place the rose hips in a cup, sort out and rinse.
- The bird cherry is removed from the branches, the spoiled fruits, branches and leaves are removed. The fruits are washed.
- Sea buckthorn is cut from a branch, sorted out, spoiled berries and all excess is removed.
- Cherries are scanned for the presence of wormy and crushed berries, if any, they are thrown away. Washed out.
- Water is poured into a saucepan, sugar is poured into it and brought to a boil. Boil until the grains dissolve completely. Spread sea buckthorn, bird cherry and rosehip in syrup. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes, no longer.
- Cherries are poured into a jar, after sterilizing it, poured with berry syrup, rolled up hermetically with lids and cooled “under a fur coat”.
How to roll up bird cherry compote with vinegar
Cooking bird cherry compote according to this recipe will not be difficult. The drink is not too sweet, with a slight sourness. It is advisable to stand for a month and a half before use.
- 5 ml of 6% apple cider vinegar;
- 200 g bird cherry;
- filtered water;
- 60 g of fine sugar.
- The berries are sorted out and washed well.
- Poured into a liter glass container, having previously sterilized it. If the compote is cooked in large containers, the ingredients are proportionally increased.
- The contents of the jar are poured with boiling water, kept for 10 minutes, then the liquid is poured into a saucepan. Pour in sugar and boil for 2 minutes.
- Apple cider vinegar is poured into the container, pour syrup on top so that it overflows a little. Tighten with metal caps with a special key. The containers cooled "under a fur coat" are removed for storage in the cellar.
How to close bird cherry compote with apples
The drink has an amazing aroma and summer taste. In this case, the double pouring technology is used, which is ideal for dense berries and fruits with seeds.
- filtered water;
- 400 g of fine sugar;
- ½ kg of apples;
- 250 g bird cherry.
- Prepare glass containers: wash with soda solution, rinse with boiling water. Remove the berries from the branches, sort out and rinse under running water, putting them in a colander.
- Wash the apples, rub each fruit dry, cut into large chunks. Cut the core.
- Pack fruits and berries in jars, pour boiling water, cover. Leave for 10 minutes. Then change the tin cover with a plastic one, drain the liquid into a saucepan and put it on the stove.
- Add sugar to the water. Boil the syrup for 2 minutes. Pour the blanched berries and fruits with boiling syrup up to the throat. Cover with a lid and roll it up with a key. Leave under a blanket until completely cooled.
Bird cherry and raspberry compote for the winter
Bird cherry compote with raspberries will be an excellent alternative to purchased drinks. In addition to the fact that the workpiece has excellent taste, it is appreciated for its impressive and valuable composition. Compote is recommended to use for colds.
- 10 ml lemon juice;
- 350 g raspberries;
- 2.5 liters of drinking water;
- 400 g granulated sugar.
- The berries are sorted out, placed in a colander and washed under running water.
- The main ingredients are placed in a glass container, after sterilizing it. Pour boiling water over and leave for 10 minutes.
- After the allotted time, the infusion is poured into a saucepan, granulated sugar is added, lemon juice is poured. Boil for a minute.
- Pour the berries with syrup, cover with lids and tighten them tightly with a key. Cooled upside down "under a fur coat".
Bird cherry and currant compote recipe
Thanks to the currants, the drink acquires a rich taste and amazing aroma.
- 2.5 liters of filtered water;
- 800 g bird cherry;
- 1.5 tbsp. granulated sugar;
- 300 g of currants.
- Sorted out, washed berries of bird cherry and currant blanch in boiling water for 3 minutes. Thrown back in a colander.
- The berries are transferred to a sterile three-liter container, filled to the brim with boiling water and kept for 10 minutes.
- After the allotted time, the liquid is poured into a saucepan. Sugar is added to the berries, poured with boiling infusion.
- Immediately roll up the container with a tin lid using a key. Turn over on the throat and leave for a day, wrapped warmly.
Delicious dried bird cherry compote
For direct consumption, boiled compote from dried berries.
- 2 liters of purified water;
- to the taste of granulated sugar;
- ½ kg of dried bird cherry.
- Dried berries are placed in a saucepan, poured with boiling water and cooked over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the fire, cover with a lid and leave for 5 hours.
Rules for storing bird cherry compote
The drink can be stored for several years at room temperature, even if it has not been sterilized. However, it is worth remembering that over time, the seeds of the bird cherry begin to secrete hydrocyanic acid, so it is better to use it in the first six months.
The cherry compote turns out to be rich and tastes like a drink made from cherries. However, when drinking the drink, it is important to observe the measure so as not to harm the body.