Bell peppers are one of the healthiest and most popular vegetables in the culinary industry. A wide variety of dishes are prepared from it, but out of season the cost of this product is quite high. Therefore, there are many options for freezing peppers for the winter in the freezer in a variety of ways at home.
Is it possible to freeze bell peppers for the winter
There are only a few ways to store crops, one of the most popular is conservation and freezing. The latter option has a wider range of uses. So, pickled or salted vegetables are used in food as an appetizer or addition to the main dish. Frozen fruit can not only be eaten after thawing, but also added to side dishes, soups, goulash, salads.
How to properly freeze peppers for the winter
Before moving on to freezing bell peppers for the winter, it is first of all important to pay special attention to the fruits. Only large, fresh vegetables with a high density are suitable for harvesting. After a quality product has been selected, it should be rinsed under cold water, then dried thoroughly with a towel or paper napkin.
Important! Before freezing the bell peppers for the winter, you should make sure that the fruits are completely dry, as the extra water can cause the vegetables to stick together in one layer. Therefore, after washing the fruits, it is advisable to give time to dry, and it is best to wipe them with a towel yourself.
To properly freeze bell peppers for the winter, it is important to get rid of the seeds and stalks. To do this, cut off the top of each vegetable and remove the contents.
Recommended freezing temperature
You should know that a properly selected temperature regime in the freezer allows you to preserve the taste and useful qualities of the products. The optimum storage temperature for bell peppers for the winter is 18 degrees.
Important! If the freezer is full or half full, then the temperature can be lowered to -20 -24 degrees.
How to freeze whole bell peppers for the winter
The cut caps are also stored in the freezer, which can be boiled along with the main part of the vegetable.
To freeze the whole pepper for the winter, it is necessary to select and rinse the fruits. After that, the caps should be cut off from the vegetables, the seeds should be carefully removed. It is recommended to remove the contents not with a knife, but with your hands. So that the preparation does not take up much space in the freezer, experienced housewives advise freezing them with pyramids. In this case, you should choose fruits of different sizes in order to place a smaller vegetable in a large fruit. After that, the resulting "locomotive" is placed in a simple bag, from which excess air is released, sent to the freezer for 2 hours. After the indicated time, the contents of the bag must be shaken slightly to separate the frozen peppers from each other. After that, the pyramids should be packed in special storage bags and sent to the freezer. This recipe for freezing bell peppers for the winter is great for lovers of stuffed dishes. If necessary, the workpiece remains to be removed from the freezer, filled in frozen form with the filling and proceed with further cooking. However, if the fruits were previously well dried, then the vegetable should not lose its shape after complete defrosting.
How to freeze chunks of peppers for the winter
For freezing in pieces, deformed, small or flabby peppers are suitable, as well as caps that have been cut from whole fruits.
Preparing bell peppers for freezing for the winter in pieces is no different from the recipe outlined above. Before the fruits are frozen, they must be washed and dried thoroughly. Then remove the seeds and stalks. You can cut vegetables in any way you like, for example, into rings, half rings or cubes. This can be done either by hand or with a food processor or a special grater. After shredding, the pepper must be left in a ventilated area for a couple of hours to evaporate excess moisture. Then the cut pieces can be spread out in a thin layer in sachets or containers and frozen.
Attention! For convenience, it is recommended to put the workpiece in bags in small portions so as not to freeze it a second time.
A quick way to freeze peppers for the winter
You need to store the workpiece in a sealed package.
The pepper preparation process should consist of the following standard steps:
- Rinse the vegetables.
- Remove seeds and stalks.
- Dry well.
- Chop if necessary.
To speed up the process, the prepared vegetables should be placed in the quick freezer for a couple of hours. After that, the workpiece is poured into zip bags or containers, sent to the freezer for long-term freezing.
How to freeze bell peppers for the winter in portioned bags
Re-freezing vegetables is not recommended
As practice shows, chopping off the required amount of frozen peppers with a knife or fork can be quite problematic. Therefore, the most practical option is to freeze vegetables in small portions. Before sending the fruits to the freezer, they must first be prepared:
- remove seeds and stalks;
- rinse again under running cool water;
- dry thoroughly with a towel;
- cut into pieces;
- put the workpiece on a tray or pallet, cover with a cotton towel and send it to the freezer for 2 days;
- after this time, vegetables can be packaged in bags and sent to the freezer for freezing.
For storage, it is better to use special dense bags or with a zip fastener, this will protect the product from extraneous odors. Using regular thin bags is not a practical option, as there is a chance that the pepper chunks will stick to the bag when frozen.
The recipe for freezing peppers with herbs for the winter
Instead of the specified set of greens, you can use any other
You can store greens in the freezer in a very original way. This will require:
- Bulgarian pepper - 1 kg;
- 1 bunch of fresh parsley
- 1 bunch of fresh dill;
- lovage - 200 g.
- Wash vegetables, remove seeds and stalks.
- Chop the greens.
- Stuff the fruits with a mixture of dill, parsley and lovage.
- To freeze.
This blank can be used for making pilaf, various sauces or soups.
How to freeze peppers for the winter in vacuum bags
Fruits can be cut into cubes, slices, rings, half rings, or left intact
The process of freezing peppers in vacuum bags is not much different from the other methods described above. Before starting the process itself, you must:
- wash the main ingredient, remove seeds and stalks;
- cut into pieces if necessary;
- spread the prepared fruits on a board or tray, put in the freezer until completely frozen.
Important! Stir periodically to prevent the pieces from sticking to the tray during freezing.
Once the pepper has hardened, it can be packaged in bags. To do this, place the workpiece in a thin layer in a bag, release the air and close it tightly. Then send it to the freezer.
Freeze twisted bell peppers for the winter in containers
You can use containers, simple bags or with zip fasteners as containers for storage in the freezer.
You can freeze peppers for the winter according to the following recipe:
- The vegetables must be rinsed, the seed box removed, and then dried well.
- Grind the fruits through a blender or meat grinder.
- Salt, sugar or various spices can be added to the resulting mushy mass. In this case, you will get a dressing for hot dishes.
- Then put the twisted vegetables in containers, close the lid tightly and put them in the freezer.
Important! It is not necessary to use a container, for example, you can take thick bags instead. An ice or baking dish is a good alternative.
How to freeze baked bell peppers for the winter
For baked fruits, peel off before freezing.
You can freeze bell peppers for the winter not only fresh, but, for example, baked. To prepare such a blank, you will need:
- Rinse the vegetables, remove the seed box.
- Cover the baking sheet with parchment paper, lay out the prepared fruits.
- Bake in the oven at 220 degrees for about 40 minutes.
- After this time, turn off the oven, leave the vegetables inside until they cool completely.
- Remove the top skin from the fruit.
- Put them in a thin layer in containers, close tightly with lids, send them to the freezer.
Important! This pepper can be used in frozen and thawed dishes.
Freeze pepper in halves for the winter
To make the dish bright, fruits of different colors can be used for preparation.
- Rinse the vegetables, remove the stalks.
- Dry well with a towel.
- Remove the lids, and cut the pepper lengthwise into 2 parts and remove the seeds.
- Divide the halves of vegetables into small bags.
- Let the air out, tie well and put in the freezer to freeze.
Assorted peppers in the freezer for the winter for dressing, stews, gravy
You can add any other products for the blank.
For example, to make a vegetable stew, you can prepare a mixture of the following ingredients:
- eggplant - 2 pcs.;
- tomatoes - 2 pcs.;
- bell pepper - 3 pcs.;
- carrots - 1 pc.;
- a bunch of dill or parsley;
- salt to taste.
- Rinse the eggplants, cut into medium pieces. Pour boiling water over and leave for 20 minutes to remove the bitterness.
- Wash, peel and cut all remaining vegetables into large pieces.
- Chop the greens.
- Throw the eggplant slices in a colander, rinse and dry slightly.
- Combine all the ingredients in a common container, salt.
- Divide the resulting mass into containers or bags, close tightly and freeze.
Important! The vegetable mixture does not need to be thawed before cooking. It is enough just to get the workpiece out of the freezer, put it in hot vegetable oil, lightly fry, and then simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes.
An assortment of vegetables is suitable for making the gravy:
- carrots - 4 pcs.;
- onions - 3 pcs.;
- bell peppers - 4 pcs.;
- tomatoes - 4 pcs.;
- 1 bunch of parsley or dill
- Grate the peeled carrots on a coarse grater.
- Peel and chop the onion.
- Rinse the pepper, remove the seed box, cut into half rings or rings.
- Rinse the tomatoes, dip in boiling water for 40 seconds, then cool, remove the skin and cut into cubes.
- Stew carrots, onions and tomatoes until half cooked with the addition of sunflower oil.
- Fry the peppers in a separate frying pan, stir occasionally.
- Grind the herbs, mix all the ingredients in a common container.
- Transfer to a sturdy plastic bag, deflate and freeze. To make the workpiece take up less space, it can be squeezed into a thin cake, and then sent to the freezer.
What can be made from frozen peppers
Frozen peppers can be added to almost any dish, such as borscht or other vegetable soups. The fruits, cut into pieces, are a great addition to salads, main courses, pizza or pies.
The shelf life of frozen peppers is no more than one year. It is necessary to keep the workpiece in the freezer, in well-packed bags or containers.
Important! When preparing a certain dish, pepper can be added directly from the freezer, without waiting for it to defrost.
Freezing peppers for the winter in the freezer is possible in various ways. All options are quite simple to perform, however, there are two important rules to keep in mind. Firstly, you can only freeze peppers for the winter in a clean and dry form. Secondly, repeated freezing of this workpiece is not desirable, since in this case the appearance and most of the useful properties are lost.