Breeders have bred several varieties of bush cucumbers, which are popular in summer cottages and backyards. According to their properties, all plants were intended for growing in commercial production. The variety of bush cucumber Kid for open ground already celebrated its 20th anniversary several years ago, which underlines its attractiveness for vegetable growers.
Cucumber Malysh, as indicated in the description of the variety, is a determinant compact bush-type plant with gherkin-shaped fruits. Cucumbers of the Malysh variety are distinguished by short stems, from 30 to 50 cm. Only in years with frequent warm rains, as well as in greenhouses, the lashes are longer. They are weakly branching, a characteristic feature of the variety is short internodes. The leaves are thicker, as are the numerous cucumber ovaries.
Each node bears up to 6 fruits. A bush of cucumbers of the Malysh variety gives 40-47 zelents. Fruits are medium in size, up to 9-10 cm long, cylindrical, with densely spaced large tubercles. The skin of the cucumbers is soft, dark green, with characteristic light stripes, converging to the top of the fruit. In overripe cucumbers, the cover becomes much coarser. The pulp is juicy, firm, crispy, without voids. Cucumbers Baby is excellent in taste, without bitterness. The most popular weight of harvested greens is 60-80 g, larger ones - 100-120 g.
Advice! Bush cucumbers are easy to care for due to the compactness of the bush.
In the reviews of gardeners about the cucumber, the Kid has a good yield - up to 2-2.5 kg of fruits per plant. The variety is early ripening, the cucumbers are harvested after 40-45 days from the moment of germination. The authors of the variety, scientists from the Volgograd Experimental Station, created a plant for the Lower Volga region. Cucumbers Baby show their inherent positive qualities in other areas. Often, cucumbers of this variety, which have won recognition, are grown indoors. Signs of varieties of bush cucumbers:
- Outdoor cultivation;
- There are only 1-2 undeveloped lateral lashes;
- The main lash ends with inflorescences;
- Early amicable fruiting, which lasts two to three weeks;
- Convenient care and harvesting, thanks to the limited growth of the lashes;
- The versatility of the fruit. Bush cucumbers are delicious in salads, retain their crunchy properties when salted or canned.
Zelensky kids have found their lovers. Cucumbers of this variety have many advantages:
- High palatability;
- Stable productivity;
- Early maturity;
- Amicable ripening of fruits;
- Nice, neat cucumber shape, convenient for pickling in jars;
- Excellent commercial properties: storage up to 10 days without loss of fresh taste, transportability;
- Developed immunity allows the plant to resist the cucumber mosaic virus and downy mildew;
- The quick return of the harvest gives cucumbers the opportunity to avoid infection with fungal infections.
Some summer residents, who are busy with their main work and come to the site once a week, are unhappy with such quality of the Kid cucumbers as amicable fruiting. Indeed, the fruits of this variety must be harvested daily, at least every other day. Only under such conditions does the gardener get even, beautiful, uncoarse cucumbers.
Intensive fruiting also requires regular watering. When choosing cucumbers for cultivation, it is necessary to consider these plant care factors and choose the most suitable varieties.
Important! The Malysh variety is not a hybrid. You can leave the cucumbers until the full, biological phase of maturation and prepare seeds from them for the next year.
As is clear from the description of the variety, reviews of gardeners and a photo of a plot with cucumbers Baby, these plants with short stems can be planted more crowded. The row spacing is only 45 cm wide, and the holes are 20-25 cm apart. Cucumbers are sown directly into the ground or are planted with seedlings. The latter method will ensure the ripening of the fruit one to two weeks earlier.
How to grow cucumber seedlings
When growing a variety of cucumbers, the Kid in a seedling method, seeds are sown in the last days of April or in May. Good plants develop from the seeds of Aelita Agro.
- Separate containers are prepared for plants, since cucumbers die if their root system is disturbed;
- Seedling soil is purchased in specialized stores;
- If you take garden soil, it is mixed with humus, compost or peat in a 1: 1: 1 ratio;
- Fertilizers are added to the bucket of the substrate: 30 g of nitrophoska and 2 tablespoons of wood ash;
- The seeds are disinfected in a pink solution of potassium permanganate for 20 minutes, then they can be treated with any stimulating drug according to the instructions;
- Experienced gardeners are advised to soak the baby cucumber seeds in a nitrophoska solution, and then put them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days;
- Planting depth of seeds - 1.5-2 cm;
- The containers are placed on a pallet and placed in a warm place for cucumber seeds to germinate.
Seedlings appear after 5-6 days. At a temperature of 28 degrees, seeds germinate on the 4th, 5th day. The first three days, the sprouts are kept at a low temperature to 20 0Happy and 16 0C at night, so as not to stretch too quickly. Later, for seedlings of cucumbers, a favorable temperature - 23 0C during the day, at night reduced to 17 degrees. The sprouts are watered with warm water - up to 30 degrees, in moderation, without overmoistening the soil.
When the cucumber seedlings form 4-5 large leaves, they are transplanted into open ground. Usually in early June. Before transplanting, plants are hardened for a week to make it easier to acclimatize after moving. They roll over young cucumbers, carefully removing the cups, leaving a whole earthen lump. To do this, before moving, the seedlings are watered abundantly.
Warning! To prevent cucumber sprouts from stretching out on the window, in cloudy weather, the temperature is not raised above 19 degrees.
Cucumbers Kid likes loamy and sandy loamy soils with a neutral reaction. In the garden for planting cucumbers, you need to choose those areas where peas, corn, potatoes or tomatoes were grown last year. It is better not to plant cucumbers after zucchini, melons and garlic.
- In the fall, humus or manure is added to the soil, per 1 sq. m add 25 g of potassium sulfate and 40 g of superphosphate;
- When the soil is loosened in spring, it is enriched with 20 g of ammonium nitrate per 1 sq. m.
Sowing seeds in open ground
Cucumbers of the Malysh variety are sown in the beds when the soil warms up to 15 degrees. Seeds are buried to a depth of 2.5-3 cm, in still damp ground. The holes for faster germination of seeds are covered with foil or agrofibre. It is necessary to watch when the shoots appear and open the film, otherwise the shoots can get burned in contact with polyethylene. With recurrent frosts, tender cucumber shoots are covered overnight.
Watering and loosening
For the good development of cucumber plants, Kid, you need to monitor the condition of the site. Timely weeding, which includes removing weeds and loosening the soil, will help the crop grow successfully. Oxygen in loose soil, without a surface crust, will more actively flow to the roots, which strengthens the plant's immunity.
Cucumbers are watered by sprinkling and drip irrigation. Care must be taken not to flood the roots. Otherwise, diseases of the bushes are possible. It is better to water the plants in the evening with water warmed up in the sun. During dry periods, cucumbers are watered in the morning and evening.
To fully realize their potential, the cucumbers are given 3 or 4 fertilizing with potassium-phosphorus agents.
- Fertilize for the first time at the beginning of bud formation;
- The next feeding is carried out after 10 days;
- Use complex fertilizers "Ideal", "Rodnichok", "Fertility", "Breadwinner" and others, following the attached instructions;
- Mineral preparations are also added to organics. In 10 liters of water dissolve 200 g of mullein, 5 g of carbamide, potassium sulfate, superphosphate.
Protection against diseases and pests
Baby cucumbers can be affected by white and gray rot, root rot, spotting and cucumber mosaic.
- Seeds and soil are prophylactically disinfected;
- Gardeners water the area for cucumbers with a solution of a glass of salt per 10 liters of water;
- A healthy plant is less susceptible to diseases, and immunity to cucumbers is provided by loosening the soil, destroying weeds, feeding and proper watering.
Disease resistance and adherence to agricultural techniques make it possible to grow bush plants in different climatic conditions.
Sergey, 42 years old, Saratov region.
We have been growing cucumbers for a long time every year. A very good commercial grade. Ripens quickly and amicably. Productivity with proper feeding is excellent. When implemented, it is not monitored.
Diana, 27 years old, Novomoskovsk
For two years I have been planting Malysh cucumbers in a greenhouse. I grow seedlings on the windowsill. It's not that hard, only 10-12 plants. And I get a decent harvest. Enough for marinades.
Lyubov Alekseevna, 60 years old, Kropotkin
Cucumber variety Kid is my favorite. Bushes are small, covered with cucumbers. I collect only my own seeds. But I plant not last year's, but 2-3-year-olds. They are more prolific.