There is no person who would not hear about the Semerenko apple variety. These late apples are named after an enthusiastic gardener who was the first to breed this variety at the end of the 19th century in his nursery near Cherkasy in Ukraine. In winter, these delicious apples are simply irreplaceable.
Renet "Semerenko" refers to winter varieties of apples. The tree is tall, with a powerful crown, dark gray with a brown-orange tint of bark. Light green leaves folded in a boat and slightly downy. The apple tree blooms white towards the end of spring.
Large fruits of this variety are smooth, smooth and rounded in shape. They have a characteristic light or bright green color. A distinctive external feature of these apples is small warty rust hue, which may be 2-3 on the fruit. Apples grown in the south still have a faint blush on the side on the sunny side. The pulp is very tender, white, juicy, sweet with a subtle sour-spicy aftertaste.
The variety is widespread in the chernozem zone of Russia, Ukraine, in the Kuban.
The advantages of the variety include drought tolerance, early high productivity, excellent taste of fruits, their good transportability and long-term preservation.
However, this variety is not winter-hardy, it does not bear fruit every year, and is susceptible to scab and powdery mildew. Trees are tall and prone to thickened crowns.
The nutritional value
Sugar content in Semerenko apples is quite high - up to 12%, although they can’t be called sweet, as there is a distinct wine flavor in them. The vitamin C content is 9 mg per 100 g. These apples have high dietary characteristics. They have absolutely no anthocyanins, which is very useful for the prevention of metabolic disorders.
The benefits of these apples are undeniable:
- The fruits contain vitamins B, C, P and trace elements.
- They increase appetite, they are recommended to be used after food poisoning.
- Strengthen the heart and blood vessels.
- They increase hemoglobin in the blood, as they have a lot of iron.
- They prevent the formation of uric acid, so patients with gout and rheumatism cannot do without them.
- Thanks to tartaric and malic acids, they normalize the digestive tract and prevent constipation.
- Pectins and fiber reduce blood cholesterol.
- Antioxidant properties are manifested in them more than in other varieties.
- Gastritis can be cured by eating on an empty stomach one rubbed apple without a peel.
- It removes oxalic acid from the body, thereby normalizing the liver.
- Apples are hypoallergenic, they are recommended for expectant mothers, nursing women and infants as a first feeding.
- Fruit seeds are rich in selenium and iodine.
Semerenko apples are available, they are on sale almost all year round.
Apple-tree Renet "Semerenko"
Reproduction and planting
For the variety "Semerenko" the best way is propagation by green cuttings. Its essence is as follows:
- At the end of June, when the cuttings have already grown, but have not yet become numb, but rather elastic when bent, they cut off a shoot 10 cm long, on which there are at least 4 leaves. The cut is done with a sharp knife.
- After this, the stalk is placed in a heteroauxin solution (1.5 tablets per liter of water) for 10 hours.
- Soil preparation is being carried out. Humus, peat and sand are laid out in a layer of a few centimeters.
- For cuttings, mini-greenhouses are constructed from glass or film 15 cm high. They maintain high humidity and a temperature of 23-30 degrees. The stem is deepened into the soil by 4 cm.
- A distance of at least 5 cm is maintained between the cuttings, and 10 cm between rows.
- After rooting, the cuttings are planted in a permanent place.
- For planting cuttings in a permanent place, the soil is prepared by introducing organic fertilizers into it. Better to be sour. In a pit 60 cm deep and up to a meter in diameter, plant residues, humus, peat and soil from a pit with fertilizer added are laid with a layer of 15 cm.
- If the earth is sandy, then clay is added to it.
- When planting a tree, the root neck should rise several centimeters above the ground.
- The seedling is watered with 3-4 buckets of water.
- Apple tree is tied up. Tamped the earth, then under the tree make manure or compost at the rate of 50 kg per one hundred square meters.
The main measures for the care of apple varieties "Semerenko" are regular watering, fertilizer and pruning.
How to fertilize plants?
- In the fall, manure and mineral dressing are introduced.
- In the spring, nitrogen is needed to improve vegetation.
- Ammonium sulfate and ammonium nitrate are spread superficially.
- Phosphate top dressing is introduced into 30-centimeter holes along the border of the trunk circle. In addition, these circles are mulched with peat, humus or compost.
To protect against rodents, trees are tied with spruce branches until such time as a strong bark appears on the trees. You can also apply whitewash, chalk or lime on the trunks.
Pruning the apple tree is required, as the crown of the tree quickly thickens, and this reduces the yield. The risk of fungal diseases also increases.
Harvesting and storage
When is the best time to pick fruit is an important question regarding winter varieties of apples. The shelf life of them depends on this. Semerenko variety apples fully ripen in mid-autumn. They are picked in early October in clear weather so that the apples are completely dry.
It is necessary to carefully remove the fruits from the tree, without breaking the tails and without damaging them. First pick those apples that can be taken from the ground; rising above, the fruits are removed with the help of ladders, and from the upper branches the apples are taken out by the fruit picker. For harvesting use baskets, sheathed in cloth, plastic buckets or nets. Fruits must be sorted.
Store apples better in the basement. They are wrapped in paper and placed in cardboard boxes or wooden boxes. Fruits are best in dry sand. You can also line the bottom of the box with paper, stack the apples so that their top layer is a centimeter above its edge, then cover them with paper, shavings and again paper.
Mandatory storage conditions for apples are forced ventilation, constant temperature from 0 to -2 degrees and humidity 85-90%.
Semerenko apples are widely used in cooking. Below are some recipes for making delicious dishes using these fruits.
180 g of cottage cheese, 2 chopped apples with a teaspoon of honey are laid out on pita bread. All roll, roll on the grill and grease the top of the strudel with butter.
A dough is prepared from a glass of flour with the addition of baking powder, 150 g of chopped butter and 100 g of sour cream. Place it in the refrigerator for half an hour. Then lay in a thin layer in the form and roll out. The filling is laid out on the dough: 6 apples, sliced and sliced with sour cream. To prepare it, you need 200 g of sour cream and sugar, a beaten egg. The cake is baked in the oven at a temperature of 180 degrees for 1 hour. The finished treat is sprinkled with powdered sugar and cinnamon.
Cottage cheese casserole
For it, you need 30 grams of semolina, half a glass of milk, 2 eggs, 360 grams of cottage cheese, 50 grams of sugar, soda, salt, 2 chopped apples. All this is mixed and baked in the oven.
Semerenko apples are one of the most affordable, healthy, popular fruits. Due to the fact that they are stored for 7-8 months, you can eat them all year round. This gracious variety, giving 100 kg of apples from each tree, is the pearl of our orchards.