Cattleya Orchid is an ideal orchid. It has an attractive color and delicate aroma.
Interest in the plant arose in the 19th century and has not disappeared to this day. The exotic flower has a special shoot structure, pronounced bulbs. It is impossible to say exactly when the plant has a dormant period - it is expressed implicitly. The optimal conditions for orchid cultivation are warm or moderate temperature.
In total, there are about 30 varieties of Cattleya in the world, there are much more hybrids - several hundred. The most popular intergeneric hybrids are sofroleliocattles, brassocattles and leliocattles. They all do not need careful care, and the flowers look exquisite, as if fashioned from cold porcelain.
- Cattleya Venosa - A hybrid native to Brazil. Caring for a plant is not a hassle, the orchid blooms profusely, has a compact form.
- Cattleya Miyuki different fast growth. It forms a large number of clusters with attractive raspberry-colored flowers.
- Eclipse - a hybrid, which was obtained as a result of crossing Skinneri and Maxima. The flower has large purple flowers.
- Luteous forb - a greenish hybrid with a pleasant aroma. It has a compact form and feels great at home. Flowering plants occurs 2 times in 12 months.
- Earl imperials - a popular variety. The orchid is white, has curly petals and a lip. She does not need special care. It was obtained by crossing such white forms as Mossiae, Qaskelliana and Trianaei.
- Margaret Degenhardt Saturn differs in color: the flower has bright raspberry-colored petals. Usually it blooms 2 times a year.
In addition to these, there are thousands of interspecific hybrids resulting from the crossing of natural varieties of orchids among themselves. There are complex hybrids that have been bred using close Maxima genera - Sofronitis, Lelia, Brassavol. They all look great in life and in the photo, and they need standard care.
Optimal conditions for growing
Window sill selection
At home, Cattleya orchid can be grown on the southern or eastern windowsills. It is not recommended to use the north and northeast window sills, although a number of hybrids will not be opposed to such conditions, if they are provided with appropriate care. If the cultivation is carried out incorrectly, in the near future the plant will need emergency resuscitation.
In any case, the light regime is of great importance for the proper growth of plants. In the summer, Cattleya is saturated with sunlight and spends all his efforts on the development of pseudobulbs. At the end of summer, covers appear at the ends of the bulb. If during this period the amount of light decreases, the buds will develop in the case, and in the complete absence of light the plant will need urgent resuscitation.
Cattleya Orchid: Care and Growing
Features of watering
Orchid care consists in the proper conduct of watering. Water should fall on young sprouts, so watering is carried out on a substrate, and the plant itself does not touch. How to perform irrigation correctly, you can understand if you study the master class presented in any manual on floriculture.
On dark and cool days, watering should be replaced by spraying. After the peduncle begins to actively develop, watering should be resumed.
Important! The substrate must have time to dry before watering.
Once a month, Cattleya Maxim is poured from the shower with warm water. Also, once every 30 days, the substrate should be cleaned under running tap water. If moisture gets on the leaves, they should be immediately wiped with a paper towel to prevent stains.
How to care for the roots
At home, it is important to properly care for the roots of the plant. Hybrid and species orchids can be divided into 2 main types according to the following principle: some take root after the emergence of a new sprout, others after flowering. Ripe white roots, young green. Old roots gradually die off, young ones try to go as deep as possible into the substrate in order to get moisture.
For the roots of an orchid, it is important to choose the right substrate, which can be moss or bark, crushed to a medium fraction. Equally important is the proper preparation of the substrate. Before planting, dry bark should be soaked in water for a couple of days. Then it is dried and polystyrene and moss are added to the bark. After that, you can transplant the plant.
How does orchid blossom
In blooming condition at home, Cattleya looks simply amazing. Usually it develops in several directions, so the pseudobulb can be about 10. Moreover, if there are 3 flowers on each peduncle, you get a real bouquet of 15 flowers.
The color of the petals can be any - white, dark lilac and other colors. Flowering can last a whole month, and if the number of bulbs is large, then longer. Many Cattleya orchids not only look delightful - like fashioned from cold porcelain, but also smell very nice - lilies of the valley or lilies.
The main rule for abundant flowering plants at home is to prevent the emergence of new shoots in the process of maturing. New growths should be broken out, otherwise all the forces of the orchid will go to them, and not to the formation of buds.
How is the transplant performed?
When growing at home Cattleya Maxim is extremely negative about the transplant. She recovers for a long time after her.
Understand that it is time to transplant an orchid, for several reasons.
- You can find out that a transplant is necessary by determining the condition of the substrate. Oxidized and dense soil is not the best option for Maxim's orchid. As a rule, Cattleya grows quickly if she is cared for properly. In this case, the roots braid the pot, and the pseudobulbs go beyond the capacity.
- The transplant should be carried out after the new sprouts reach a length of 2 centimeters. Prior to the procedure, it is important to decide whether you intend to divide the plant or not. The best solution is to leave up to 5 pseudobulbs per tank.
You may also be interested in an article in which we talk about the characteristics, structure and varieties of the Phalaenopsis orchid.
How to reanimate an orchid
If Cattleya Maxim lost the root system, she urgently needs resuscitation. At home, the plant should create the most favorable conditions for the growth of roots. It should be remembered that the roots appear from new sprouts, and the sprouts from the kidneys, so you should first find the kidneys, and only then resuscitate.
You can bring an orchid into proper form like this:
- Every day the plant is soaked in water. This will require an empty container without holes. Leave the orchid in a container of water for 2 hours a day.
- After the plant has roots, soaking should be stopped.
- After the appearance of the first 3 roots, which reach 6 centimeters in length, the plant is transplanted into a small and narrow pot. Moss, pure bark of coniferous trees, and small charcoal are taken as a substrate.
Such resuscitation takes from a month to a year. As a rule, new sprouts from an orchid appear much more active in the period from March to October, since at that time the lighting is good and the ambient temperature is quite high.
Resuscitation can be conducted in a greenhouse, which can be made from an aquarium or purchased at a flower shop. A layer of expanded clay is laid out at the bottom of such a greenhouse, and moss is placed on top. Then the plant is placed in a greenhouse and put in a bright place, the ambient temperature should be +20 degrees. Ideally, resuscitation occurs at a temperature of 25 degrees, and if the temperature in the greenhouse is above +33, the plants can overheat.
Cattleya Orchid Features
Cattleya Orchid requires careful care. The plant requires optimal temperature and humidity conditions, as well as a lot of light, even in winter. If the conditions for growing are chosen correctly, Cattleya will surely delight you with luxurious, as if made of porcelain, flowers.