Pepper in our country is most often grown in a greenhouse or greenhouse, due to climatic conditions. Very often, plant growers are interested in questions about why pepper wilts in a greenhouse and why its leaves curl. Such problems are not often observed, but require intervention, as they speak of violations of the rules of care or lack of nutrients in the soil.
Despite the fact that in a greenhouse plants are less likely than in ridges in the open air to be affected by pests or diseases, nevertheless sometimes the leaves of peppers wither or curl due to weakening due to various factors. That is why it is important to determine the cause of wilting as soon as possible. It is necessary not only to understand why the plant feels uncomfortable, but also to competently act in such a situation in order to improve the condition of peppers.
Causes of Leaf Withering
There may be several reasons for withering pepper leaves. Most often this happens in the following situations:
- disturbed water balance of pepper leaves in the greenhouse, which weakened the plant;
- pepper in the greenhouse can be affected by one of the pests or diseases dangerous to the plant (most often it is fusarium or verticillosis);
- the soil was not well prepared for planting pepper seedlings;
- fertilizers are incorrectly used for feeding;
- sometimes wilting pepper leaves is a biological manifestation and is the result of aging greenhouse crops
- the formation of the bush is incorrectly performed, the rules for tying the bush on the trellis are violated;
- the greenhouse or the greenhouse has too high a temperature and an inappropriate humidity level.
Leaves of greenhouse pepper can not only fade under the influence of various factors, but also curl and even fall. There are several reasons for this.
- The most likely and harmless reason why the leaves of peppers are curled in the form of a boat are the peculiarities of plant growth in the greenhouse. The center part of the sheet is ahead in growth of the rest of the sheet plate, and the sheets are pushed up. The situation does not require intervention, and the leaf restores its shape independently in the process of growth.
- Sheets of peppers are curled and when affected by a pest or disease. Some larvae of insect pests thus change the appearance of leaves in just a day. It is especially difficult to recognize a pest that is parasitic on the root system of a plant.
- If the sheets of pepper are curled in the greenhouse, and small spots of red color are noticeable on the leaf plate, then the appearance of aphids can be suspected.
- If the sheets are curled and a thin small cobweb is visible on them, this means that a spider mite has appeared on the plant.
If the plant does not have any visible damage in the greenhouse, then you can try to carry out root dressing with potassium, to which pepper reacts very well.
You may also be interested in an article in which we talk about the rules for feeding greenhouse pepper.
The correct rehabilitation measures can only be carried out by determining the root cause of changes in the state of the plants. Pepper grown in closed ground does not suffer too much from extreme temperatures and pests. You should try the following treatment options that bring a quick recovery result:
- normalize the temperature in a greenhouse or greenhouse;
- establish control over indicators of soil moisture and air in closed ground;
- to perform high-quality ventilation of the greenhouse;
- use only balanced and high-quality fertilizers for root and foliar top dressing;
- regularly weeding and removing any weed plants;
- if peppers are affected by pests, spray the plants with the most effective means against a specific pest.
Specialists in the cultivation of thermophilic vegetable crops recommend carefully monitoring the condition of plants by conducting systematic examinations of peppers in the greenhouse. At the first signs of a change in the appearance of plants, it is important to analyze all stages of cultivation and eliminate the errors that led to pepper diseases.
Prevention is considered a very important event, the implementation of which significantly reduces the likelihood of plant infection in closed ground by pests or diseases, and also helps to correctly regulate the implementation of agricultural practices for growing peppers and caring for them.
- The process of autumn preparation of the greenhouse for the next planting season is very important. It is necessary not only to disinfect the earth at all ridges, but also to very carefully process all the greenhouse constructions with special preparations for a similar purpose.
- Of no small importance is the stage of spring soil preparation, which consists in introducing a strictly defined amount of substances necessary for the nutrition of cultivated plants. Disinfection measures that can eliminate the larvae of pests and microorganisms cannot be ignored. Strait of land in the greenhouse is considered to be very convenient and effective with a pale pink solution of potassium permanganate.
The most difficult case, as a result of which the leaves on pepper are curled and fade, is the defeat of the plant by pests. To combat them, you can use the "heavy artillery" in the form of powerful and toxic chemicals.
If the damage to plants in closed ground has not reached a peak point and is not massive, then it is quite acceptable to use weaker and gentle measures that cope well with a small number of pests. A very good result is achieved by spraying with infusions based on various plants and natural phytoncides.
Spider Mite Pepper Processing
Tips & Tricks
Many people know that peppers are among the most thermophilic vegetable crops, for which it is important to maintain the temperature in the greenhouse at a level sufficient for growth, development and good fruiting. But you should not get carried away and uncontrollably raise the temperature and humidity indicators inside the greenhouse or greenhouse to peak values. This situation is fatal for peppers, and the first and most obvious signs of such violations are twisting, wilting and death of the leaves of the plant.
With proper care and timely preventive measures, the problem of curling and wilting leaves on peppers will bypass your greenhouse. However, if the foliage of the plant has already undergone such changes, the health of the culture can be restored using simple procedures and tools.