We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Cloudberry (Rubus chamaemorus) is a herbaceous tundra plant. Unripe berries have a red color, after ripening they acquire a yellow-orange hue. For color, the plant is called swamp amber.
Shrub marsh, creeping (how it looks, you can see in the photo). Petals are white. Ripening occurs from July to August. Flowering is observed in May-June. In appearance, the berry is similar to raspberries, but its aroma and color are different.
Where does cloudberry grow? In the north, in the middle zone of the Russian Federation, in the Far East, in Belarus. Near the shrubbery one can often see moss, lingonberries, and rosemary. Bushes are often found in peat bogs, in marshy forests, in mossy, shrub tundra.
The plant is assigned to the genus Rubus, the family Pink. Its height is 30 centimeters. Rhizomes are creeping, stems are thin.
Northern peoples respect cloudberries, appreciate its properties. In ancient times, the berry was called the swamp guard, now it is called moss currant, Arctic raspberry and northern orange.
In Kievan Rus, it was considered a delicacy for the tsars - it was served both in soaked and fresh form. You can make delicious kvass from the fruits. In Scandinavia, the plant is still of great value, since its healing properties help to cure many diseases. Since ancient times, fruits have been used for scurvy, and leaves for scabies and for the treatment of wounds.
Cloudberry grows in the swamps. But what if the site does not even remotely resemble it? The solution is as follows: just select a place for growing berries on the plot and make it waterlogged by hand.
- The place where the berry will be should be well lit.
- A trench is digging; its depth should be half a meter.
- Then the layers are laid out soil, polyethylene, again the soil and again polyethylene. The top layer should be land mixed with peat or substrate, taken directly from the natural place of cloudberry growth.
- Then you should well water that part of the site where the berry will grow. With moisture levels to be monitored daily.
- You should pay attention to the level of acidity. The indicator should be equal to 4.5 pH.
- Cloudberry under natural conditions has such a neighbor as mycorrhiza. The properties of the fungus are that it supplies nutrients to the roots of the plant. You can buy a drug with him in a flower shop.
Cloudberry - marsh separation
How to care
- Cloudberries are accustomed to acidic soil, so if you water it with water from a well, it can get chlorosis. To prevent the disease, ground sulfur is introduced into the soil - per 1 square meter of 30 grams.
- In order for the berry not to get sick, you can acidify the water for irrigation. 2 grams of acetic or citric acid are added to the bucket.
- Since the plant is small, the distance between the bushes should be 20 centimeters. In this case, it is necessary to take into account the variety of cloudberries.
- Pruning is done only sanitary - get rid of dried and diseased branches.
- In the spring, top dressing is applied. Mineral solutions and organic products are used as fertilizers. You can apply manure.
- Periodically, soil should be loosened and weeds removed (especially in the first year).
- To protect the plant from pests and fungal diseases, it should be treated in the spring with a solution of Bordeaux fluid.
- Harvesting occurs after the fruits acquire an amber hue (see photo).
- Pests in the bush are the same as in raspberries, for example, a raspberry tick.
Cloudberries breed in various ways.
- Just dig bushes in the forest and transplant them to your site. Selection should be made strictly - plants with the most juicy and delicious berries are taken (how they look, you can see in the photo). The selected bush is dug up with a lump of earth and immediately placed in a pot. You can use a paper pot. Cloudberry directly with it is buried in the ground at the site.
- Another option is cuttings. They are cut into 12 centimeters and placed in a nutrient substrate. Cloudberry is covered with a film from above and watered abundantly.
Important! Soil moisture should always be at a high level. In autumn, mature cuttings are transplanted. But you can wait another season, so that cloudberries are better prepared for the transplant.
- Choosing such an option as seeds, you should be prepared for the fact that the properties of the plant may differ from the original, and not for the better. Sowing seeds goes in the autumn. In this case, planting is carried out immediately after harvesting, otherwise the germination capacity will drop sharply. Seeds are placed in prepared soil or in boxes filled with substrate.
Purchased seeds are subject to stratification, which must be followed according to certain rules, which we have already talked about. The temperature should be between 3 and 7 degrees. Duration - from 30 to 80 days. Planting takes place at a temperature of about 20 degrees in boxes filled with a mixture of sand and peat (1 to 4). In spring, plants are moved to a permanent place.
- You can purchase varietal imported bushes. But the question is whether cloudberries can withstand our winters, remains open.
The berry has a number of unique properties. The plant is a honey plant. Thanks to the substances that make up the fruits and leaves, various diseases can be cured. So, the leaves are characterized by a hemostatic effect.
The composition of the berries contains:
- Organic acids
- Fatty acid
- Plant sterols
- Antioxidants and more
The berry not only looks appetizing in the photo, but also has wound healing, immunomodulating, anti-fever, general strengthening, astringent, antimicrobial properties. The intake of fruits has an anti-zingotic effect.
- In folk medicine, cloudberries are used to make medicines. It is actively used for kidney diseases. The berry has a diuretic effect. Wound healing preparations are made from leaves. Eating fruits effectively strengthens the immune system.
- A number of specialists use such properties of the berry as the ability to combat hypertension, atherosclerosis and gastrointestinal tract disorders. Residents
- Siberia eat fruits in its pure form for the prevention of scurvy, as a diaphoretic for colds and flu.
- In cosmetology, oil from the seeds of a plant is used. It, being in masks and creams, actively fights with age spots and wrinkles.
- The properties of fresh fruits allow them to be stored for a long time - up to 5 months. To extend the shelf life, the berries are soaked. Soaked berry retains all the beneficial properties. The infusion of the plant is actively used for bleeding, and a decoction of leaves and roots - as a diuretic.
Cloudberry useful properties
The presented plant is appreciated all over the world due to its unique healing properties. You can grow it on your site, but for this you will have to properly prepare the soil and take care every day.