We received such a question from Alevtina: "What is the use of fertilizer from eggshells? How to make it yourself?"
It is no secret that plants need mineral top dressing. Gardeners spend a considerable amount of money on various fertilizers, forgetting that everything ingenious is simple. The shell of eggs is a storehouse of calcium, micro and macro elements that the plant needs.
What is useful fertilizer from eggshell
Egg shells are extremely beneficial for plants:
- It contains calcium, magnesium, phosphates and organic substances, which, thanks to the crystalline structure of the shell, are very easily absorbed.
- It increases the fertility and quality of the soil, reducing its acidity. It is known that increased acidity inhibits the growth of garden plants and their bearing.
- Improves seed germination.
- Used to power seedlings.
- It is used to loosen the soil in pots.
- Egg shells can be used as a small temporary bowl for growing shoots. You can also learn how to use the shell for growing seedlings by reading the corresponding article on our resource.
- With its help, you can get rid of slugs, protect the crop from moles and bears.
But you need to know that it is useful not to all residents of the garden, but only to some:
- bell pepper;
Note that you can not give the shell to plants that love acidic soil (violets, gloxinia). Also, excessive amounts have a bad effect on the growth of tomatoes, eggplant and peppers.
And one more advantage of this fertilizer is that it is free, because in a year you throw out about 10 kg of eggshell.
How to make fertilizer
Household people in what quality do not use shells, which fertilizers, top dressings and even poison do not. We will tell you about the most common recipes:
- Before using the shell, it is necessary to separate it from the remnants of the protein (but not the protein film), rinse and put it in a cardboard box for three to four days to give it time to dry.
- It is best to grind the shell in a coffee grinder or scroll in a meat grinder, resulting in "egg flour". But you can shell and just shred, for example, in a bucket with a hammer.
- The following fertilizer is very useful: bake the shell in the oven or on a fire, mixed with wood ash, introduce it into the soil. Thus, you get a mixture saturated with potassium-phosphorus compounds and trace elements. Instead of ash, dolomite flour can be used.
- You can make liquid fertilizer for the garden: chop the shell of 5-6 eggs, put it in a jar and pour 1 liter of water. Let it brew for two weeks (if the water is very cloudy and has an unpleasant odor, the infusion is ready). Before applying to the soil, dilute the infusion with water in a ratio of 1: 3.
- Egg shells are actively used as drainage for indoor plants. Just mark it on the bottom of the pot and cover it with soil.
- For indoor plants, liquid top dressing from the shell insists for only 2-3 days. Then they simply water them with flowers.
- To reduce the acidity of the soil, make 2 cups of egg flour per 1 square. m
- If you want to get rid of the black leg, regularly dust the seedlings with shell powder.
- Among gardeners, homemade fertilizer "Delicacy" is very popular. Everything is very simple: before planting seeds, pour 1/3 teaspoon of chopped egg shells into the wells. Then put the seeds in the hole and fill it with earth. Potato, eggplant, cauliflower will perfectly respond to such top dressing.
- To get rid of slugs and bears in the garden and in the garden, sprinkle a little shell around the plants. Pests will not like such a treat.
What you need to know about the shell
- Remember that you can only use egg shells as fertilizer before chopping it. The whole shell is absorbed by plants for a very long time and penetrates the soil with difficulty. There will be little sense from her.
- Despite the fact that the shell is a very useful fertilizer, be careful with the dosage! Too much shell will lead to increased absorption of calcium flowers. And calcium in large quantities inhibits the absorption of other necessary substances.
- If you don’t know how to feed the earth first (egg shells or mineral fertilizers), don’t worry, use all together. Adding to the fertilizer 1CT. a spoonful of crushed shells, you neutralize the oxidizing effect of fertilizer. Thus, nutrients are better absorbed.
How to make egg shell fertilizer
Egg shells as fertilizer are an irreplaceable thing. No costs, but how much good for vegetables, fruits and flowers!