We got a question from Tatyana: "How can I grow a butterfly at home? How long does it live in captivity?"
Cats, dogs, parrots, reptiles, fish, even spiders and cockroaches ... All these pets at home have long been a rarity. But you want something new, unusual and beautiful! And butterflies will give you just such feelings. Because today they can be admired not only in nature, but also at home.
How to grow a butterfly at home
In fact, caring for a butterfly is not a big deal. The main thing that is required from the owner of future beauty is patience. As you know, in their development butterflies go through several stages:
There are several ways to start raising butterflies.
- Before searching for eggs, review the information on the selected butterfly species to understand where these insects lay their eggs.
- Lay the eggs carefully in a small transparent plastic container (there is a high risk that the eggs will dry). It is better to lay eggs not with your hands, but with improvised material: a stick, a leaf.
- There is another way to get butterfly eggs: catch an adult, put it in an aquarium or similar container. Put there the leaves of the plant that feeds this particular type of butterfly. Subsequently, she will lay eggs on one of the leaves.
- When you got the eggs, wait for the little caterpillars to come out of them. If you stored them in a plastic container, immediately transfer them to the aquarium by placing there the leaves of the feed plant (those leaves on which you found eggs or caterpillars).
- If you immediately decided to take the tracks, just bring them home and follow the pattern above.
- Place napkins or soft paper under the leaves and spray it with water from time to time to maintain the required moisture level. For butterflies, the optimum humidity is 60-90%.
- Also, the caterpillars should be carefully protected from direct sunlight.
- The home of future butterflies should be large enough so that there is room for growth and development.
- Remember to constantly plant new food that the caterpillars feed on.
- Be sure to remove the litter of the tracks, as it can serve as a source of infection and cause decay.
- Place a few vertical sticks or branches with leaves in the aquarium. When the caterpillars pupate, they will need to cling to something to hang.
You should know that the moth pupae turn into a mature individual in the ground: for them, it will be necessary to fill the bottom with a layer of soil.
- Before the pupation process itself, the behavior of the caterpillars changes: they stop eating, begin to behave uneasily.
- When the caterpillar hangs on a branch, you will notice how it begins to wind a cocoon around itself. When she is completely in the cocoon, you can start the countdown. Soon you will have real live butterflies!
- Having got out of the chrysalis, the butterfly hangs on a twig for some time to spread its wings. If there are no branches nearby, and the butterfly does not spread its wings on them, it will not be able to fly.
- Feeding an adult butterfly is very simple: they eat honey or sugar (mixed with a little water), fresh fruits, and even fruit with rot.
In a couple of days after the "birth" of butterflies, you can mate. But for mating you will need several generations of butterflies, because males hatch a little earlier than females (for several days). Remember that on the fourth day of life, butterflies can no longer breed.
For the mating itself, you will need a room, from three meters in height, for the free movement of butterflies, insectarium. In the room you need to create a high temperature - 28-30 degrees Celsius. Take care of sufficient moisture.
In addition to food for the butterflies themselves, there should be a fodder plant in the insectarium (many butterflies do not mate if it is not nearby).
You may also be interested in an article in which we talked about how to make a butterfly feeder. In addition, in this material we described in more detail what butterflies eat and how to make a nutritious mixture for them.
How many butterflies live
At home, butterflies live longer - from one to three weeks. In nature, only a few days.
How to care for butterflies
As you know, butterflies at home are a great outlet for natures who value beauty. From butterflies you will receive only pleasure and pleasant sensations.