We got such a question from Anastasia: "Why do leaves sometimes turn red and twist at apple trees? How to cope with such a problem?"
The summer season is a new round of worries for summer residents. Planting, weeding, top dressing, hilling ... Work is overwhelming! And how inappropriately sometimes garden plants begin to hurt. Especially when the same apple tree starts to get sick, from which you expect the most delicious crop! How to help her?
Red and twisted leaves in apple trees: looking for a reason
There are several reasons why the leaves of the apple tree turn red and curl. Consider them.
- Phosphorus. With a lack of phosphorus in the soil, the leaves of the apple tree lose their saturation, acquiring a bronze tint. Near the petioles and veins appear red or purple hues. Flowering and ripening of fruits does not occur on time, longer in time than necessary. The winter hardiness of the plant decreases, the leaves and roots become smaller.
- Magnesium. The lack of this element leads to the fact that the lower leaves become red, purple. At first, the edges and veins of the leaves remain green, but then they also turn red. Lower foxes fall far ahead of time. Magnesium deficient apple trees have little chance of surviving the winter.
- Manganese. With its deficiency, white, light green or red spots appear on the upper young leaves of the apple tree. Veins can keep green for a long time. The yield decreases, the fruits taste fresh.
The presence of pests on a tree
Apple aphid is the number one enemy of the apple tree. These insects lay their eggs in the tree bark for the winter, and in the spring feed on its leaves. Leaves dry up, curl from the edges and become dark cherry or red-yellow.
Sometimes a wire (or film, rope) can crash into the trunk of an apple tree. Then any one or several branches suffers, the leaves on them turn crimson.
We also recommend that you read an article on our website in which we talked about the diseases and pests of apple trees.
How to cure a tree
If you determine what your tree is missing or which pest you need to fight, then appropriate action must be taken immediately.
- If the apple doesn’t have enough phosphorus, then you need to use top dressing containing this microelement. Phosphorite is suitable for acidic soils; superphosphate is suitable for other types of soil. Also use complex fertilizers to maintain the balance of all elements in the soil. Note that more often phosphorus deficiency is observed in acidic soils. Therefore, eggshell fertilizers can be used to neutralize the acidic environment. The easiest option is to finely shred the shell from 5-6 eggs, pour water in a liter jar, let it brew for three days and water the apple tree with this solution.
- With a lack of magnesium spray the apple every ten days with a solution of magnesium sulfate: in 10 liters of water add 20 grams of magnesium. Total spraying should be no more than four. Feed your tree with magnesium fertilizers, but remember that they will only work in a couple of years. In addition, if you often apply potash fertilizers, it is recommended to stop doing this until the symptoms of magnesium deficiency disappear in the tree. Excess potassium interferes with the absorption of magnesium.
- In the absence of manganese apple in the "diet", the tree also needs to be sprayed with a special solution: add 10 kg of manganese sulfate to 10 liters of water before buds open; in 10 liters of water add 10 grams of manganese sulfate after budding.
If you find pests on your tree, then you can deal with them in the following ways:
- Before opening buds, spray the apple tree with various insecticides.
- While the leaves are blooming, spray the apple tree with solutions of tobacco, chamomile and citrus infusion. Repeat the procedure after ten days.
- Apply corrugated paper fishing belts (from June to October). Change belts periodically, stripping the bark.
- Remove basal shoots and tops (aphid eggs winter there).
- In the fall and spring, treat the stem with mullein mixed with clay.
For mechanical damage, try to correct the situation. You can use the method of furrowing: make several cuts on the cortex at the constriction itself, just above and slightly below it.
How to treat apple disease
Of course, there are exceptions, and sometimes on young trees among the apical leaves you can find several red ones. This is simply a feature of a particular variety. However, be careful. If your apple tree does not feel well, immediately provide it with insect protection and proper nutrition. Then the tree will thank you with a plentiful and tasty harvest.