The artichoke is not very attractive in appearance, and is not yet so common in our areas, but gradually this plant gains its popularity. And a significant role in this is the composition of the plant, rich in vitamins and nutrients. Recipes with him are increasingly used in cooking, and cosmetic recipes appear in the piggy bank of many beauties.
Many attribute this product to a vegetable crop, but it rather resembles an unblown flower. More precisely, what is eaten and sold in the store is an artichoke flower. This is a perennial herbaceous plant of the family Asteraceae.
- The root of the plant is thick, long and strong. The stem is branched, dark green. The leaves are large, petiolate, pubescent from below.
- The flowers are collected in large inflorescences-baskets at the top of the stem can be blue or dark purple. Around each inflorescence there is a so-called wrapper, which includes many scales, in shape resembling tiles.
- The fruit of the plant is an achene with many oblong seeds.
- Artichoke propagated by seeds, as well as layering and root offspring.
Useful properties of the plant ensured its use in cooking, cosmetology, medicine.
This large plant can reach a height of two meters. For breeding, seeds are most often used. It is almost impossible to get root layers. But the seeds do their job well.
The nook of the plot is not a place to plant an artichoke. It is necessary to carry out some preparatory work before landing:
- Back in the fall, at the place where the plant is planned to be planted, it is required to dig a hole (60-70 cm in depth, and a meter or a little more in width).
- The bottom of this pit must be lined with drainage (expanded clay, pebbles or gravel).
- The pit is filled with earth mixtures (peat, sand, garden land, humus).
Consider the method of reproduction, when exactly seeds are used.
- Spring vernalization is recommended to begin in February, in the first half. To do this, on a wet sand you need to install a box for sowing.
- About 10 days (at least six) they will be in this position. The temperature regime is 22-25 degrees.
- When the biting stage passes, the box must be put in the refrigerator, on the lower shelf. There it is aged 15 days.
- When the tips of the roots are darkened, the seeds can be sown. And seeds are sown usually at the beginning of March in boxes for planting. An earth mixture is used, where humus, sand and earth are present in equal parts.
- Pickling seedlings will be carried out in 12-15 days, as soon as a real leaf appears. When picking, the end of the root is plucked off - this is necessary for the formation of a powerful root system.
We also offer you to learn how to grow a tomato tree on your site.
It is quite simple:
- plentiful watering;
- loosening the soil;
- weed removal;
- top dressing.
As a top dressing, you can use spraying with the following solution: 10 g of wood ash and potassium chloride, 20 g of superphosphate. Once a month, spraying is enough to feed. She did protect from butterflies and aphids.
How to grow an artichoke. Care Methods
Useful properties of culture
This plant really can boast of how diverse its healing, cosmetological and gastronomic properties are. Here are just the main ones, most used artichoke extract:
- It is a diuretic, choleretic, cleansing and hypoglycemic agent.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of the product are quite effective.
- The plant is an excellent tool for raising appetite.
- Normalizes digestion.
- Artichoke extract is a powerful hepatoprotector (it removes toxins and even some salts of heavy metals).
- The same extract also helps with constipation.
- Artichoke improves metabolism.
- Effectively plant and in the fight against edema.
- It is used for stomatitis (a decoction is used to rinse).
- Beauty recipes also could not do without this plant: artichoke extract improves body odor, helps get rid of bad breath, and many of the recipes for anti-cellulite products include the same extract.
- The use of the plant in medicine is also noted by the fact that the properties of the artichoke also help with some forms of psoriasis and eczema.
Artichoke extract is often used in preparation for surgery and during rehabilitation in patients who underwent kidney or liver surgery.
Artichoke recipes are gaining in popularity. Someone tastes like asparagus, some - sweet zucchini, someone pickled cucumber. In the best way, the taste of the plant will be revealed if you try the following recipes in practice.
2 cones of the plant, three cloves of garlic, 2 tablespoons of butter, salt and seasonings.
The artichokes are washed, cleaned of all long leaves, and between the leaves of the cone thin plates of garlic stick out and make oil. 20 minutes steamed - a tasty and healthy dish is ready.
In the microwave
4 plant heads, 4 garlic cloves, 2.0-2.5 cups of vegetable broth, half a glass of wine, vegetable oil, herbs, salt.
Sliced artichoke is fried in a heated pan with garlic. Then add the wine to be evaporated. Then - greens, broth; the dish is stewed for about ten minutes. Remove the cover and cook for another five minutes with the addition of seasonings.
Artichoke Tea Recipes
Pour dry leaves of the plant with water, insist about half an hour. Filtered tea can be drunk twice a day before meals. To remove the bitterness, honey is added.
Recipes of dishes with artichoke: these are salads, and vegetable side dishes, and meat-leveling dishes, and pickled flowers (their recipes are very simple and unusual in taste).
Artichoke is a conditionally new product in domestic cooking, an excellent healing product, a wonderful vegetable flower, which is easy to grow. It will decorate the plot, and after that it will be an excellent ingredient in lettuce or stewed vegetables directly from the garden.