|1.1-1.3 hours||4 servings||214-245 kcal||Medium difficulty|
One of the dishes of Tatar cuisine, which has become familiar far beyond the borders of its homeland, is azu. Who has not heard about this culinary masterpiece, will be right if you decide to try it. And it is better to taste the basics not at a restaurant, but at home with your family. Of course, first you need to get acquainted with the main tricks in the preparation of the Tatar hit. And they are not so few.
Azu is fried small pieces of meat that are stewed with potatoes, onions, tomatoes, slices of cucumber, with the addition of a rather spicy sauce. From meat, lamb, beef or young horsemeat are preferred.
Actually, the translation of the word "azu" from the Persian language will mean "small pieces of meat in a spicy sauce."
Modern variations of the dish deviated exclusively from the recipe in Tatar, instead of beef or lamb, chicken is often used. Giblets and even squid are used as the main ingredient. Mushrooms and vegetables are often added to the basics, and almost always this dish is full of spices.
Nutritionists advise you to indulge in basics rather than regularly enjoy the dish, after all, it is rather oily, and excess cholesterol does not add health. But by the time the guests arrive, or in another pleasant occasion, making the basics is not just possible, but necessary.
Azu with Braised Beef
Product Selection Rules
The main product in the basics, of course, is meat. Choose it exactly as you do this procedure for any other meat dish. If classic recipes recommend beef, and you prefer turkey, don't be afraid to disobey culinary advisers. In fact, the recipes have long moved away from their origins, assimilated, and many of them have only benefited from this.
Pickled cucumber - a spicy component of the dish, take a strong and crispy cucumber, which does not turn into porridge when stewed.
As for tomatoes, many really prefer peeled tomatoes as the main vegetable component of azou. It is easier for someone to replace everything with tomato paste. Both the first and second options are acceptable.
As seasonings, it will be sufficient to use only pepper, salt, garlic and bay leaf. But the variety of spices now makes it possible to experiment in this matter, add various herbs, spice mixtures.
Let us dwell on popular and simple recipes.
Recipe 1: Tatar Azu with cucumbers and garlic
- beef (or other meat) - 700 g
- 6 potatoes
- 3 pickles (small)
- 4 tomatoes + a tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 onion
- 150 g of broth
- Bay leaf
- salt, garlic, pepper
- Cut the meat across the fibers into small cubes.
- With tomatoes, dropping them briefly in hot water, peel and also cut into cubes.
- Onions are cut in half rings, and cucumbers - either in cubes or straws (to whom as usual).
- In a well-heated skillet, the meat is fried until golden brown, you can add spices.
- Separately fried onions add to the meat.
- Pour all over the broth so that the meat is covered with liquid.
- Tomatoes are laid out on top, and it all stews for about half an hour.
- After this, lavrushka, salt, tomato paste, cucumbers are added. Stir, simmer for 20 minutes.
- Potatoes are fried until ready.
- Greens and garlic are finely chopped and sprinkled on the finished dish in a plate.
- A couple of minutes before the end of cooking, you can try to see if the dish is acidic. Sometimes it happens at the expense of tomatoes. Then you can just add a little sugar to the basics.
This recipe is close to the classic basics with pickles.
Azu in Tatar
Recipe 2: Azu with Pickles and Mushrooms
Also an interesting and uncomplicated recipe, good for beginners.
- 400-500 g of meat (better - beef)
- 200-300 g of mushrooms (champignons are also suitable)
- tomato sauce - 5 tbsp. spoons
- 2 small pickles
- salt / spices
- cooking oil
- We cut the meat in the usual way, the pieces should be small.
- Cut the champignon into thin slices, and the onion into small half rings.
- On a well-heated skillet, put the meat, fry it in oil for several minutes, until the pieces become golden.
- After that, sprinkle flour with meat, gently shake the pan and mix everything thoroughly.
- At this point, add the onion, it should soften. Pour over tomato sauce, mix, after which mushrooms and cucumbers are added.
- Next - salt, seasonings.
- We cover everything with a lid, it remains to wait 20 minutes, and the basics are put out.
You can change something in any recipe, but it’s better to leave the base as in the traditional Tatar language, and it’s better to add cucumbers every time. But if the mushrooms are also salty, then you can stop only on one salty ingredient.
Secrets and Tips
So that there are no misses with the first experience in cooking the basics, arm yourself with the following tips:
- Remember that the beef is roasted for a long time, so after manipulating the meat in a frying pan without a lid, simmer the slices under the lid until cooked (even if the time is outside the scope of the recipe).
- Use fresh garlic, you do not need to add it when stewing, it is better to sprinkle an already prepared dish with finely chopped vegetable.
- It is recommended not to use ketchup, namely tomato paste.
- Experiment with sets of Provencal or Italian herbs.
How to cook Azu
- The standard option is a dish sprinkled with herbs. It can be parsley, cilantro, dill or onions. Often, rice is chosen as a side dish.
- In some families, fresh vegetables, sliced in slices, or a plate with pickles are always served to the basics.
- Azu is such a self-sufficient dish that a special side dish is not required. But, in order to soften its pungency, level the taste, it is better to serve fresh cucumbers, tomatoes or boiled potatoes in the peel at the first tasting.
Have a great culinary debut!