An egg shell is nothing but the outer shell of an egg. In America, in the food industry alone, about 150 thousand tons of shell waste is used. The egg shell is approximately 95 percent calcium, calcium carbonate, phosphoric acid and nitrogen. It is these substances that allow the use of shells in gardening. Thanks to the material presented below, you will not only reduce the amount of waste, but also benefit from the skillful use of eggshells.
In eggshell, you can grow seedlings of zucchini, cucumbers, pumpkins and peppers. It makes no sense to grow tomatoes in the presented way, since the seedlings are too large. The best option is a temporary house made of shell for flowers. The collection of "peel" from the eggs should be carried out in the winter so that everything was ready by spring.
The preparation is as follows. During cooking, the contents of the egg are used for their intended purpose, and the shell is left, while its sharp ends must be leveled with a knife.
To grow you will need:
- plants' seeds;
- an egg or herring box;
- First, containers are taken - suitable from under herring, metal or plastic. They add peat, soil or sawdust. In this case, the soil should occupy no more than half of the whole place. Top seeds are also lightly sprinkled with soil. Since there is little space in the shell, it is necessary to ensure that the soil does not dry out. Then the shells are placed tightly to each other.
- During planting, the bottom of the eggshell is pierced with an awl. Do not use force, otherwise the crust will crack. Just take an awl and drill a hole in the shell in a circular motion.
- Then add soil. The soil is moistened with a pink solution of potassium permanganate. Seeds are also pickled.
- Then they must be lowered in a canvas bag for 3 hours into a solution of ash - 0.5 tablespoons of water 2 tablespoons of ash. Insist during the day and keep the seeds for 3 hours.
- A seed is placed in each shell. Then the soil is simply sprayed with water. For convenience, a plant variety can be inscribed on each shell. To do this, use a marker or pencil.
- Inshell seedlings are covered with a film or a cut plastic bottle. Spraying is done daily. The sprouts that appear are exposed closer to the light or taken out to the street for hardening. You will have to light up the lamp so that the plants do not stretch. Seedlings appear on around day 5
- After it gets stronger, it can be planted in the ground. In this case, it is enough to slightly squeeze the shell to crack, and just place the seedlings with soil in the ground.
In addition to the shell for seedlings, you can use tablets, boxes, peat pots, pots. The holes in which you place the seedlings must be protected from rats and mice. To do this, vegetables and grains poisoned by zinc phosphide are put into minks.
The benefits of growing shells
There are several advantages of the presented method.
- Since there is a lot of lime in the shell, plants receive a large amount of fresh fertilizer, which is necessary for fruiting and growth.
- Lime helps to reduce soil acidity and improve its structure. Mineral fertilizers are better absorbed.
- Using a shell for seedlings, you save space on the windowsill. Now you do not need to force him a lot of boxes.
- Savings - no need to purchase special drawers.
- It is environmentally friendly - the shell is a natural fertilizer.
- The shell repels the bear (when planting plants in the ground).
Important! The shell must be sanitized before use. This is done by boiling. If you miss this point, an unpleasant odor and bacteria can form, as well as ants. The shell during planting in open ground is not thrown away, just crumble it slightly, squeezing it in your hand. The roots themselves will push their way.
Features of landing in open ground
During the onset of warm days and nights, seedlings are planted in the shell in open ground. The process is very simple, since there is no need to pull plants out of the boxes, risking damage to the root system. Cracked shells with sprouts are simply planted in the soil, and it is necessary to lightly sprinkle the seedlings.
By the way, seedlings can be grown not only in shells, but also in egg cartridges. For this, the cells are filled with soil, then it is watered and 2 seeds are placed in each of the cells. Further, everything goes according to the above scheme. After the seeds hatch, the top cover is cut off and placed under the bottom. The design will become more durable. After the seedlings get stronger, it can be transplanted into the open ground. To do this, pick up a small lump of soil with a fork, pinch the root and lower it into the prepared hole.
Growing seedlings in the presented way for a couple of weeks brings the emergence of seedlings closer. At the same time, their survival rate is almost 100 percent. In order to get the crop as quickly as possible, choose early varieties. You should also know the basic principles of growing seedlings, which we have already talked about.
Seedlings are best grown in egg shells. This is not only effective, but also a very simple way. Technology is available to everyone. But first you need to accumulate a sufficient number of eggs. Among other things, they must be thoroughly disinfected. The advantages of the method are obvious - it is environmentally friendly, and the best development of plants, and profitability. Landing in open ground will also not cause problems, while you should not get rid of the shell. It will act as an additional top dressing, and the roots of the plant themselves will eventually break their way. Thus, planting seeds in the eggshell is the best option.