Landscaping of the garden plot is not complete without climbing plants, vines, which shade and decorate it, create coziness and give a certain mystery. The queen among the vines can be considered a kobe - an exquisite and diverse tropical beauty. We will discuss further how to grow it and create colorful pictures in the country house with her participation.
Kobei: a botanical description of a plant
Kobeya (Cobaea) - a climbing plant native to South and Central America, bearing the name of the Spanish natural scientist Barnabas Cobo. He was fascinated by the multi-colored bells, similar to the Canterbury bells. And almost two and a half centuries ago, he brought a plant from Mexico to Europe to grow it in his garden.
Of the nine species of kobe in Russia, only climbing kobe (C. scandens) is grown, which is also called creeping, "Mexican ivy" or "monastery bells." The shoots of this large ivy spread up to a distance of 6 meters, clinging to everything that they come across in the path with a branched mustache. Her leaves are delicate and delicate, creating a magnificent carpet of greenery.
Ivy flowers - large (8 cm in diameter), curly - in the form of bells with protruding stamens and pestle, have a pleasant smell, passing from shades of musk to honey aroma. As they mature, they change color from green-yellow to white or purple. All numerous creeper shoots are dotted with flowers.
The fruit box is filled with large rounded seeds. Powerful roots with numerous branches are designed for rapid growth on tropical forest litter.
Kobeya is a perennial creeper in the homeland, but in Russia this extremely thermophilic plant has turned into an annual, because does not withstand winter cold. Therefore, the cultivation of kobe from seeds through seedlings is crucial for our climate.
At the end of February, the seeds are laid out on a moistened napkin with a weak solution of manganese, covering them on top. It is better to additionally wrap the container with seeds in a plastic film. Every day it is required to monitor the condition of the seeds so that mold does not appear on them, then they need to be additionally heated. When mucus appears, wipe it with a cloth dampened with a rare solution of manganese.
As soon as sprouts appear on the seeds, they need to be transplanted into individual pots, otherwise it will be difficult for the plants to get rid of the hard husk, and they will have to be removed manually. When planting seeds in wide containers, the interval between specimens should be at least two tens of centimeters.
The soil for the sprouts of the vine should be selected loose, with the addition of sand, turf and peat. They should be fed with liquid flower fertilizers.
After a month, the grown plants must be clipped and equipped with a special support so that they do not intertwine. They should be well lit, but direct sunlight can scorch their leaves. The temperature in the room is not lower than 16 degrees.
Growing on the balcony
Creepers grown on the balcony create an unusually beautiful curtain with bright colors. Care should be taken to protect it from the wind and direct sun. Seeds in the pot should be hidden in the soil to a depth of at least 2 cm. When choosing the time of planting, you should be careful that the temperature on the balcony does not fall below 2-3 degrees of heat at night, and not less than 10 degrees during the day. Then in a month and a half, friendly sprouts will appear. To avoid tangling the vines in the curtains, you need to provide an independent support for each lash.
Landing and maintenance
With the onset of stable heat, when frosts no longer threaten, in the second half of May you can transplant a kobe into a garden plot. Young bushes with an interval between them of at least 1 meter are planted in pits prepared for them with humus laid on the bottom. For planting, you should choose a well-lit place with loose, loose soil.
For adaptation, it should be well-watered and protected for the first time with two layers of non-woven insulation. It is better to cut off the frozen tops of creeper shoots. It will also help their better branching. After 2 weeks, the insulation can be removed. So that the plants do not look for casual support, you should take care of a reliable stand for each of them. Weaker bushes during planting should be fed with organic fertilizers and protected for the first time from above with plastic bottles. At the same time, they need to remove their bottom and turn the improvised greenhouse upside down to provide the kobe with fresh air in warm weather.
It is necessary to water the vine in hot time abundantly, the rest - in moderation. Feeding seedlings is worth every two weeks. The first top dressing is carried out at the end of the first week of disembarkation.
Plants have many pests.
- One of them is a spider mite, from which plants are protected by periodic spraying with insecticides.
- Leaves affected by aphids should be treated with a soap solution.
- With poor drainage of the roots or with excessive watering, they can rot, i.e. be affected by root rot. Therefore, care should be taken to ensure that moisture does not stagnate in the soil.
Within a month and a half after planting in the soil on the shoots appearing tender green boxes of flowers. If the bud cannot bloom for a long time, then it must be carefully trimmed with scissors.
The following methods sometimes help to accelerate the development of plants in the spring:
- Cuttings. In summer, the cuttings are strengthened under the film, then placed in pots, stored in the winter in a well-lit, not cold shelter. Such vines bloom a little earlier than those grown from seeds, but less than them.
- Kobei dug up to frost for the winter are hidden in a cool place. But far from all plants survive.
Landscape Compositions Using Kobei
Curly beauty in the garden can be used in several ways.
- If you place the plant on the south side of the house, near the arbor, using the trellis you can create a green wall that covers the house from noise and dust.
- It is good to plant a vine near the hedge, "prompting" her direction of movement. The plant will braid the fence in a short time, reliably hiding the area with the house with a beautiful wall.
- By placing several plants in deep containers and placing them around the perimeter, you can decorate the resting place.
- A new design direction - green arches - is a suitable application for quickly "sprawling" kobei plants.
- Vines can divide the yard into zones.
- Flower beds where flowering vines are combined with verbena, petunia, lobelia and other flowers.
- Landed next to unsightly buildings, charming kobei will not only revive the exterior of the garden, but will reliably hide all architectural flaws.
Kobei cultivation (video)
Tropical winding guest - kobe - a godsend for the gardener. Despite some difficulties in its breeding and landing associated with southern origin, the beauty will fully reward all the efforts and efforts of flower growers. She will decorate the garden with beautiful, fragrant flowers, a green carpet of delicate leaves, support comfort, silence, protect from dust and heat. Landscape compositions from kobei are diverse and unique, and it survives on the balcony. Having discovered this plant, you will never regret your choice.