Currant is a common and favorite berry culture. It is unlikely that there will be a summer cottage wherever this berry grows. There are different types of currants with red, white, black, yellow berries. All of them contain a large amount of vitamins and nutrients.
Not always these fruit bushes bring a good harvest. With improper care, plants can be affected by viral diseases. They can be harmed by insects that feed on leaves and young shoots of shrubs.
To avoid this, you need to properly take care of the plant throughout the year.
- Scalding with boiling water. In early spring, experienced gardeners apply this method. You need to pour boiling water over the bushes before the snow has melted, and the plant has not formed buds. This method destroys kidney mites and other pests. But you need to remember that the use of boiling water does not eliminate the further fight against harmful insects. This method only fights the first appearance of parasites. In the future, other methods are used.
If you can’t use a short period of time suitable for treating shrub with boiling water, there are other methods.
- Pruning shrubs. This is a very important moment for the formation of a healthy bush of currants and a good harvest of berries. It is necessary to remove all dried, damaged and old branches. After examining the kidneys, cut out those that are affected by the kidney tick. Healthy currant buds are elongated. The round shape indicates that they are affected by a tick. Even whole shoots can be removed if there are too many such buds.
- Spraying with chemical solutions. This is done in early spring to protect currants from parasites and viral diseases.
Processing should be carried out after trimming shrubs, thus, along the way, the places of cuts are protected. For spraying use Bordeaux liquid or other chemicals against pests and diseases. Such drugs are divided into:
- fungicides are used to combat plant diseases;
- insecticides to control insects;
- insectofungicides act in two directions at once;
- Acaricides are used to control ticks.
You can not use several drugs at once for one spray. Using chemicals, you must strictly follow the instructions and work in protective clothing.
Folk remedies are not as effective as chemical solutions. They can be used if the plant is not very affected. The most popular folk remedies include garlic infusion, tobacco infusion, tansy decoction and so on. A solution of iodine (per 1 liter of water 1 ml of iodine) is used against powdery mildew.
It is important to remember that you can not spray plants during flowering, as this will scare off pollinating insects.
- Top dressing. For the active growth of currants, you need to feed it with special fertilizers for berry bushes in the spring. Such a complex contains nitrogen, which is necessary for good plant growth. It is suitable for the first feeding, when the plant just wakes up. The second is done during flowering, using potash and phosphorus fertilizers. The third top dressing is performed during the appearance of the ovaries. Wood ash is added to the soil.
- Inspection of flowers. A flowering plant needs to be carefully inspected and all terry flowers removed. This is a sign of a viral disease.
- Watering the bush. In summer, currants need to be watered on time, to prevent the soil from drying out. Especially carefully this should be monitored during the period of growth and ripening of berries. Water the plants in the morning and in the evening. Black currant is more demanding for watering than red or white.
- Currant weeding. Also an important point in the care of the shrub, providing a good harvest.
- Plant nutrition. In the summer, fertilizers should not contain nitrogen. Its presence contributes to the rapid growth of leaves and shoots. This negatively affects the growth and ripening of berries. Phosphate-potash fertilizers, wood ash are suitable for feeding.
- Inspection of shrubs. During the whole time it is necessary to inspect the plants, and remove leaves, shoots and berries affected by pests or diseases.
- Pruning. During this period, damaged and old branches are removed, as well as branches that thicken the bush.
- Currant is fertilized using potash and phosphorus fertilizers, wood ash.
- Treatment of bushes for the prevention of harmful insects and pathogens.
The plant is prepared for winter.
Currants, in general, unpretentious culture.
But she also needs the right care. Only then will it bring a bountiful harvest of berries.