The gardener Natalya N. is interested in: "How is the tree pruned" to the stump? "What effect can be achieved using this method?"
We are happy to explain.
This is an agrotechnical "trick" aimed at rejuvenating a tree or shrub, and at the same time "spurring" the growth of shoots.
An aging plant resembles a person: the crown “balds”, the foliage grows smaller, it becomes smaller.
If the "old" tree is cut down, the stump will give strong renewed shoots with young leaves, therefore, this radical measure affects the decorativeness of plants, which is especially necessary for decorative-hardwood species.
A short stump remains from the trunk - from 10 to 15 cm. This cardinal “surgical” solution is able to restore the old neglected garden to life, since a considerable number of plants literally “bloom” after this manipulation.
Keep in mind that it is necessary to trim “on a stump” exclusively cultures with their own root system, that is, unvaccinated. On the vaccine is indicated by the influxes and nodes.
Respect old age
Trees of advanced age cannot with all the fervor of youth respond to this provocative agricultural technique.
Therefore, apply it to the "old-timers" must be step by step. Conditionally divide the crown into three relatively equal parts:
- in the 1st year, delete the oldest branches;
- on the 2nd - get rid of the next part of the branches;
- on the 3rd - cut off the last old branches.
All this time, new shoots will appear, starting the plant's natural regeneration process.
With the small size of the plot, the growth of some rocks must be artificially restrained, and here pruning "on the stump" can also be useful.
From time to time, the manipulation performed will cause the plant to limit its proportions.
The regularity of cropping is determined by the tasks that you, as a landscape designer, will set for yourself.
As a rule, suitable for this:
- White poplar
- White willow
- Holly Maple
Cutting "on a stump" to all types of coniferous shrubs and vines is contraindicated.
How to turn a stump into a work of art
- Proceed to the method before the water begins to actively move inside the trunk: in early spring or late autumn.
- Do not touch young cultures whose roots have not gained strength and did not have time to grow widely.
- Some types of plants, the terrestrial part of which is afraid of low temperatures, are best cut off in this way in the autumn season: in gratitude for their care, they will delight you with lush growths in the summer. These are: buddley, sumy fluffy, robinia, colored sumpium, weigela, forzition.
And the last: when you start trimming garden "veterans", do not forget to prevent stem rot from gardening putty in the place of a fresh cut. For this, the usual garden var is quite suitable, although now more advanced means for caring for plants, including imported putties, have also appeared.