Eschscholzia is an amazingly beautiful plant. Its flowers look amazing. They look like tender butterflies. It is better to contemplate the beauty of flowering plants in sunny weather!
The flower feels great in the harsh conditions of Russia. It propagates by self-sowing and does not cease to delight with beautiful flowers from year to year, so many people confuse it with a perennial. Height varies from 20 to 60 centimeters. The stems are smooth, thin, branching, form a lush bush. Foliage and shoots are covered with a waxy coating, which makes them appear bluish. As a result, you will see a charming gray-silver bush with bright inflorescences.
Varieties and types of eschscholzia
The plant belongs to the poppy family. In total, 12 species of flower stand out. The most famous of them are soddy and Californian eschscholzia. For flowers, yellow or orange is characteristic.
Nevertheless, thanks to the efforts of breeders, plants with pink, carmine, white, cream and mixed-colored flowers have been bred. A variety of shades allows you to use eshsoltsiya to create monochrome compositions of garden decor.
- "Strawberry" fields. This flower has a color, bright pink at the edges, passing to the yellow core. Half-double flowers.
- "California" in appearance resembles a poppy. Height reaches 40 cm. Flowers are white, cream, carmine. Flowering is plentiful from June to October.
- "Fruit Blast" is a variety with corrugated flowers of various colors - from yellow to raspberry.
- "Peach Ice Cream" has double peach flowers.
- Soddy escholia is a small annual plant. Height reaches 15 cm. The flowers are yellow, located above the openwork rosette of leaves of a gray color. It blooms until the first frost.
- "Apple Blossom" is distinguished by terry corrugated petals, the flowers have a bright pink color.
Sowing takes place in mid-April or in October. Seeds have nests to a depth of 0.5 cm.
The distance between the seeds should reach 20 cm. Seedlings are formed after 20 days, if the temperature reaches 20about. At the same time, seeds germinate best in the fall. Plants can tolerate frosts down to -5 degrees. Flowering occurs about a month after germination. It can last for a month and a half. If sifted, then this enchanting process can be extended.
How to care for a plant
- It is worth noting the fact that eschscholzia requires dry soils. Wet soils can cause roots to rot. Also, do not add organic fertilizers to the soil.
- Nevertheless, watering the plant during flowering is a prerequisite. It is better to perform the indicated action in the evening, when the flowers are already “sleeping”.
- It is necessary to make mineral top dressing and timely remove faded buds. The following mixture is suitable as a fertilizer: 10 liters of water, a spoon of Vermisol, flower fertilizer or nitrophoska. The mixture is used in the calculation of 2 liters per 1 plant.
Eschscholzia, the cultivation of which comes from seeds, is stored in seeds for no more than three years. After this, germination will be lost.
Planting takes place immediately in the ground, since the plants are pivotal, long, which means that the transplant will be fatal. It is allowed to plant a plant under glass.
Shoots will appear in a couple of weeks. After 4 leaves are formed, eschscholtius can be thinned out. Adult plants can reach a height of 60 cm. Over time, the bush will occupy the entire flowerbed.
Overripe fruits after cracking sprinkle seeds, as a result, self-sowing occurs. This is great, as it allows the plant to be renewed many times in one place for many years. It is for this reason that beginners use garden plants to create simple flower beds.
In early summer, bean aphids can significantly spoil the leaves of eschscholtia. The drug "Commander" will help fight it. To do this, spraying the affected flowers.
If the weather is dry, a spider mite may appear. If you have such a problem, you will have to remove the affected bushes.
It happens that such diseases as yellowing and fading of bushes are found. Such plants will have to be removed so that the infection does not pass to healthy bushes.
In nature, the plant propagates by self-sowing. In garden areas, reproduction with seeds will be the best solution. In autumn, the plant will bloom faster, since this option is closest to natural. For planting, it is best to use sunny places where water does not accumulate. For sowing in the spring, keeping seeds is recommended in the refrigerator.
Seedlings, unlike most plants, are not grown. It's all about the features of the root system.
It is complex, goes deep into the ground, which means it will be difficult and unjustified to transplant it. In the case of autumn planting, you can cover with foliage.
So, eschscholzia is an amazing annual plant, which is very easy to care for. Moreover, its reproduction occurs self-seeding, which means that from year to year amazing flowers, like butterflies, will bloom in your garden plot.