Which of the owners of the suburban area would not want to decorate it with a beautiful, elegant and constantly flowering flowerbed? Almost everyone. After all, I want the site to be beautiful and pleasing to the eye. However, the arrangement of the flowerbed is not really so quick and easy: here you need to take into account different nuances (the choice of plants, the characteristics of their flowering, the combination of colors, layout design and much more).
Annual flowers for a simple flowerbed
First of all, when organizing a simple flowerbed, you should pay attention to the fact that all ornamental plants have a variety of life forms. There are annual flowers that need to be sown every year again. There are biennials that bloom only in the second year of life. Perennial plants are also found, blooming every year brighter and more magnificent.
If for planting a simple and beautiful flowerbed you plant plants from seeds, then this year only annual plants can bloom. Some of them begin to bloom only after 13 - 15 weeks. Such species include late asters, marigolds high, verbena, salvia, petunia, lobelia.
These flowers can be grown only through seedlings, while other annuals can be safely planted immediately in the ground.
- Drummond Phlox
The above plants can be sown in early or mid-May, and you can observe their beautiful flowering in July-August. The decorativeness of annual plants appears only in the second half of summer.
It is worth noting that growing flowers through seedlings significantly speeds up the flowering time. And planting ready-made sprouts on a flower bed is somewhat more pleasant than expecting seedlings.
Creating a flower garden
To create a harmonious and beautiful flower garden, plants should be planted in groups: high ones are left for the background, low ones are for the foreground.
There are two simplest ways to design a flower bed:
- White and pink gamma. For such a scheme, you can use a pink, white laver, pink cosmea, placing them in groups in the background. Closer to the center, place white and pink zinnias. In the foreground, Drummond and Godetius phlox will look good. The edges of the flower garden for a more accurate design can be edged with allisum. Also, a cornflower will be a good highlight of such a flower garden.
- Annual flowers of red-orange hues. Scarlet amaranth with groups of decorative sunflowers comes into the background. You can also add groups of yellow and red zinnias, annual dahlias. While zinnias grow, esholtzia will look good between them. You can also add red and yellow asters, a little calendula, and undersized marigolds will be a perfect border for the edge of the flower bed.
Flower bed layout
Before you organize a simple flowerbed, you should carefully plan what and how to plant, in what order and color scheme. And a couple of tips come in handy for this.
- Absolutely all flowers move their heads after the sun. And therefore, if a view opens onto the flowerbed from the north side, then most of the day the flowers will be turned away from you. It is recommended to plant flowers on such a flowerbed that are not so clearly following the sun. These include: marigolds, zinnias, irises, lupins, Buzulnik Rocket, delphinium.
- If the site for the flower bed is located along the fence through which people passing by can admire your flowers, then make a choice in advance: the flower bed should delight you or passers-by.
- When sowing seeds, a sufficient distance should be left between different groups of plants. It is better at the end of June, the flowerbed will look a bit empty, but in July you will not have to free some plants from other, more aggressive and spreading ones.
- When planning a flower bed, you should always pay careful attention to the height of the selected plants, which is usually indicated on the packaging of the seeds. You also need to follow the recommendations for the distance between them. If the seedlings are too frequent, they can be carefully dug up and transplanted. However, some plants do not tolerate this procedure very well.
- If you decide to collect seeds from flowers with a certain shade, then do not be lazy and mark the selected plant in advance, immediately after the beginning of flowering. Since already next weekend the flowers may bloom and get lost among the "comrades" painted in a different color scheme.
- For long-term flowering of summers and perennial flowers, it is necessary from time to time to remove already faded inflorescences, as well as fruits and ovaries. Thus, you can maintain the decorativeness of your flowerbed.
- Do not sow the seeds of one species on too large an area. When the time of its flowering has passed, you can get a very unsightly, empty area, which can very disrupt the holistic look of a simple flowerbed.
- It is impossible not to note the curious property of some flowers, for example, eshols, whose buds close in cloudy weather. A three-colored bindweed closes with the onset of the afternoon. But matthiola, on the contrary, opens and begins to smell only in the evening and at night.
A simple flowerbed in the country with your own hands
How to organize continuous flowering
The most decorative look can be obtained by achieving a harmonious combination of annual and perennial plants. This combination will allow your flowerbed to bloom almost continuously from the beginning of May until the onset of frost.
The use of perennial flowers has a number of obvious advantages. They need to be grown and planted only once in a few years. Such plants do not require excessively careful care, but every year they delight with more and more magnificent flowering. Perennials are easily grown from seeds that can be collected independently, or can be purchased at a nearby store.
If you plan to organize a bed of continuous flowering, be sure to use bearded irises and lupins. Already in the month of June, your flower garden will be shrouded in multicolored lupine flowers and very beautiful iris flowers sparkling among green foliage. Shade-tolerant and picky Turkish carnations, as well as red and bright lichen pick up the baton of flowering. Long flowering and powerful digitalis and light, delicate butterflies of eschscholtia will bloom almost simultaneously.
Flowerbed in the shade: which plants to choose
Poppy, nastrutium, salvia, cosmea, cornflower, calendula, marigolds, dahlias, gladioli and lilies bloom in the yule. At the end of August, the flowering round dance will happily take over the magnificent asters.
You can learn more by reading the article Continuous Flowering Flower Design.
Design schemes flower beds
Selecting various plants, combining them, you can create an almost infinite number of variations of a simple, but very effective flowerbed. But if you are new to this business, it will be easier to use ready-made options and simple schemes for creating flower beds.
- Central flowerbed - such a scheme is the simplest for organizing a flower garden. It consists of circles. The center is filled with cannons with dark leaves, which are the soloists of the whole composition, then green leaves cannons are planted in a circle around the circle, the third row is the decorative foliage hafalium and the snapdragon finishes this parade.
- Vienna flower. To create such an option, you will need to arrange a six-leaved flower on the flowerbed, the center of which will be white left-handed people, the border for which will be Alpine forget-me-nots. The outer edge is well organized with islands of viola, zinnia, primrose.
- A fancy pattern is a round flowerbed, which is decorated with a large number of wave-like elements, decorated with variegated, sun-loving perennials. In the center of such a flower bed you can place a squat chamerops, which has a beautiful crown of fan leaves. Its shadow will become a good background for dahlia zinnia, and the contrast will be a coleus. Fancy curls can be created with the help of begonias and pelargonium, which will look very impressive against the background of lawn grass.
The proposed schemes are just a few of the many options. Or maybe you already have your own creative ideas for decorating a beautiful flowerbed - an amazing decoration of your site?