For many owners of private estates, the process of preparing a decorative reservoir for cooling is important. By doing the right thing, the owner will be able to purify the water, protect from the winter cold of fish and plants.
Pumping water or pond protection
From a small, shallow reservoir, where the area is not more than 20 m², and the depth is less than 0.8 m, the water will be pumped out, as it will completely freeze.
- Before the onset of cold weather, fish and plants are taken out of the pool.
- The walls and bottom of the pond are thoroughly cleaned of accumulated dirt and deposits. Common brushes are often used.
- Pipelines must be purged and corked reliably with foam. Wooden corks are not recommended, as they swell in water. Increasing in volume, they can damage the design of the pipes.
Before the appearance of subzero temperature, a deep pond is filled with water by about 2/3. Water is necessary so that snow falling into an artificial body of water in winter and spring turning into ice does not delay the spring filling of the pond. If the liquid is pre-filled, then ice is formed only in the upper part. In the spring, a small layer of ice will quickly melt, winter water can be pumped out and fill the pond again.
If during wintering the temperature becomes too low, then an ice hole is made in the ice, from which the remaining water is pumped out.
An air cushion will protect the pond from further freezing, which will also provide quick ice melting in the spring.
If the pond is made by hand, its concrete walls are protected by high-quality waterproofing, then it is not necessary to pump out the water. If the construction standards were observed during the construction of the film pond, then for the winter it can also be left completely filled.
Owners of shaped reservoirs are forced to conduct a series of operations to prepare a plastic pond for the winter. Its walls are able to collapse from the action of frozen water, which increases in volume, turning into ice. In such a pond, you need to lower the plastic bottles and sand, they will compensate for the pressure of the ice.
Water pollution protection
- In autumn, before the leaves fall, it is necessary to close the entire section of the reservoir with a net. Many people prefer to admire the fallen foliage located on top of the bluish surface of the homestead pond, however, for the safety of plants and fish, care must be taken to prevent organic matter from entering the water. In spring, fallen leaves will begin to rot, releasing ammonia and swamp gas. The water will immediately become cloudy, it will lose its fresh blue tint, and the fish and plants in the water bodies will die.
- Before freezing, you need to remove the grid, because when an ice crust forms, it will freeze and tear.
- To clean the water from dirt, you can use a floating or stationary skimmer, which will quickly, without harming fish and plants, remove dirt entering the pond.
Do-it-yourself water reservoir for winter
Wall and floor cleaning
Both wintering and non-wintering reservoirs must clean the walls and bottom. Debris that gradually accumulates on surfaces begins to decompose.
As a result, harmful gases are released that adversely affect the flora and fauna.
The fastest and most convenient way to clean is to use a water vacuum cleaner.
If the owners did not purchase it, then in order to fully prepare the pond for the winter, you need to clean it using a double-sided rake with your own hand. The bottom and walls are worked out in different directions, the garbage is scooped up on the shore and disposed of. We need to go around places where wintering plants grow. The dirt next to them is removed manually. If the pond area does not allow manual cleaning, work from the boat is necessary. You can find out more by reading the article on caring for an artificial pond.
- When the temperature reaches +5 ° C, turn off the pumps, disconnect them from the filters and remove from the water.
- The filtering system must be disassembled into its constituent parts, before wintering they are thoroughly cleaned with saline.
- UV lamps and filters are completely dried, they are neatly stacked in boxes. The equipment is stored in a dry, preferably heated room.
- The pump is cleaned and then lowered into a container filled with water. If the pond is equipped with a pump that is equipped with a system that protects it from deformation due to freezing water, the device can be left in the pond for the winter.
- Various devices for underwater lighting, fountain nozzles, all kinds of hoses are cleaned of dirt, if necessary, checked for malfunctions.
- Be sure to be processed with compounds that help completely eliminate lime. All appliances are dried and left in a designated room until spring.
- Green spaces that grow along the edges of a pond or in marshy areas should be carefully cut off by water level.
- Plants that do not tolerate winter frosts must be covered with burlap or fallen leaves. In the second case, you will need to clean the leaves in the spring so that they do not rot.
- Plantations that are forbidden to be stored in water during frosts must be carefully removed from the reservoir without damaging the components and roots.
- All plants must be kept indoors, where the temperature is quite low, but not minus. Lighting should be present, however bright light is contraindicated. In containers, you need to constantly moisten the earth with a frequency that is shown for a particular plant.
- It is recommended to leave the reed in the water without cutting, since its tubular stems supply oxygen to the water, which is necessary for wintering fish.
Preparing the pond for winter
- During the preparation of the pond for the winter, fish are provided with high-grade protein nutrition. In winter, they do not need to be fed.
- Fish that cannot live in the pond in winter are placed in a large aquarium. In the spring they are again released into the pond.
- In winter, the access of oxygen from the atmosphere through the ice to the inhabitants of the reservoir is difficult, so a person must independently establish gas exchange using an ice hole.
- To maintain wormwood all winter, you can purchase devices that heat the pond. Sometimes they are embedded in special pressure filters that are able to work all year round.
- An aerator is used to leave room for air access. Water is artificially saturated with oxygen, and rising bubbles prevent the ice crust from closing. This device must be selected and used carefully. The wormwood should not be too wide, and the diffuser does not need to be installed in the deepest part of the reservoir.
- To prevent fish from freezing, you can use a floating heater, but it is only available with a slight minus, which is not suitable for all regions.
- The water heating system will cope with the problem of additional insulation.
Before winter cold, a decorative pond needs special care. If all the rules and regulations are complied with, the owners will be able to properly clean it of impurities, prevent wall deformation, keep representatives of flora and fauna healthy during frosts, and again admire the beautiful view of the pond in spring.