A tent for a summer residence is a large light tent, which can be used for a wide variety of events. A prefabricated frame tent can be used as a gazebo, but a capital and heavier tent for serious holidays. Often, if the courtyard allows you to “take a walk”, then enterprising summer residents build just a large building in which you can spend time with a big and noisy company, celebrating, say, a birthday, a significant date, or simply inviting friends to gatherings.
Today we will talk about which design to choose and how to build it at the cottage on your own, since buying such a product today is not very profitable.
Choose a tent for a cottage
At the moment, manufacturers offer ready-made tents and accessories for such structures, but we decided to build it with our own hands, so to speak, from scratch. Of course, you can use some details or rely on ready-made tent designs, because this will greatly facilitate the work. But if you participated in the construction of the gazebo, which we discussed in detail in this article, or were engaged in the construction of landscape buildings in your own country house, this project will be easier for you than for beginners.
Initially, we recommend choosing a type of tent. Of course, these can be round and square tents, large and small, fabric and tarpaulin.
But we focus on the material of the case and on the basis, because these are the most important parts of our future construction.
We recommend considering wooden frames, steel from a corner and a profile pipe, as well as studying lightweight aluminum structures, but the choice depends on the purpose of the tent and its size. Naturally, the lighter the design, the easier it is to choose the material.
Such wooden structures resemble arbors that are decorated with fabric, curtains and other accessories that create internal comfort and coziness. They can be made from timber and glued timber, and even from a log if you want to work in the old Russian or classical style. But more often, this is a standard wooden frame with a roof, against which the whole structure is made out. You can read the material about the garden bench.
Metal structures are more like arches that are welded or twisted with bolts.
The main material of construction here is a metal corner, profile pipe and fittings, which are used to produce the roof frame. Such a canopy, or rather, a tent, will be heavy, and its integrity will set a high bearing capacity. This means that it will be possible to cover the building not only with lightweight fabrics, but also with a more durable tarpaulin, awning or other roofing materials.
Light tents for summer cottages
Such designs are collapsible models with a temporary installation location.
Aluminum or thin housing made of galvanized steel profile, allows you to install the tent in the country at any time, remove it if desired, or even move it to a new place. The design is also convenient because it can even be disassembled in a special bag and taken with you if you decide to go to the river or to the forest.
What to look for
By and large, there are no difficulties in the construction of a simple tent. It is clear that a large construction of a capital type will be more complicated, but this is not a tragedy. The main thing here is the timely determination of the purpose and materials of manufacture, as well as other factors and parameters, thanks to which a large tent will last a long time. What exactly should you pay attention to before construction?
We offer to study a small list of requirements, which will help determine this issue:
- First of all, we choose the design and dimensions of the tent. All this has a certain value in the subsequent stages, because the work with each of these materials will be different;
- Destination. It is necessary to determine the type of structure, whether it will be capital or portable. It should be understood that collapsible frames are convenient, but due to the constant transfer or transportation, assembly and disassembly, some materials and components quickly wear out, which means that the portable tent is less durable. It is important to determine the purpose, because if it will be a replacement for the gazebo, you can also install a small light tent, but if you know for sure that the building will be used for public events, you need to build something more;
- Put reliability and bearing capacity in the basic requirements, which is determined by the materials and their quality. Strong winds, thunderstorms, gradual wear and tear, temperature changes - all this makes any building weaker every year, and if you want to get a capital and durable construction that can be simply put in order from time to time, and not replaced with a new one, think about capital construction. Immediately it is worth considering all risk factors - to work efficiently with the joints, determine stability, pre-set the possibility of installing insulation, a heavier roof, etc.
- Practicality. Regardless of the materials of construction, you need to guess in advance with the size and shape, so that walking around the tent was not difficult, but even enough people could fit inside with conveniences. Furniture, accessories, light decor, perhaps even some communications - everything needs to be included in the plan for future work;
- Also study the location of the structures, because it is very important that the place for rest or high-profile events is not in front of the neighbors, away from the dusty road and the “fragrant” utility yard, in a sunny and warm place, on a hill so that the rain does not organize underfoot a bunch of dirt, and so on. That is, think through everything from start to finish!
We build a summer tent with our own hands
Each regular reader of our site knows well that we are considering several options, but only one is taken for thorough work. Today we also identified one building from the list, and present a simple plan of action that will help to build a metal tent with our own hands.
We decided that it would be worth a little experimenting, and we will make a collapsible structure with you, but the one that is installed in a courtyard on a rigid base. That is, on the territory of the cottage it is a serious building, but you can always take it apart, put it in the trunk of a car, and take it with you to nature, where you can put together an already lighter tent, which can only be covered with special material.
For the convenience of work and subsequent actions with our design, we decided to build a rectangular structure, since it is much more difficult to work with more intricate shapes.
Material for construction
First of all, we need sand and cement, as well as old boards. All this is necessary for the device formwork and pouring a simple strip foundation. You also need a pipe that will be installed in the foundation and will become the basis for installing the top frame of the tent. Naturally, we will work with the profile pipe, from which we will make the frame. Further, only auxiliary materials - rail for roof lathing, covering material, boards and timber for flooring, well, or gravel (expanded clay, pebbles), for its device.
Tools for work
Here we just recommend reading an article about a power tool for a summer residence, in which you will find a lot of useful things. Also, with its help you can choose a tool that can provide serious assistance in construction. This is a grinder, an electric drill, a screwdriver, and other tools, such as a hammer, a hacksaw, and pliers.
Building a foundation
Choosing a place for construction and making markings, we need to dig a trench along the perimeter of the future tent. A recess of 40 cm (or about 2 bayonets of a shovel) and a width of a trench of 25 cm will be sufficient.
Pour 5 cm of sand and 5-7 cm of gravel at its bottom along the entire perimeter, and then lay the reinforcement from the old wire, old electrodes and fittings, and fill everything with a standard solution made of cement, sand and water. If you want to create a quality foundation and keep its integrity longer, arrange a simple formwork from roofing material, which after solidification of the solution will remain between the ground and concrete as a protective layer.
It is very important to install in the foundation pipes into which the frame will be mounted. These should be profile pipes, the internal parameters of which differ from the external dimensions of the pipes for the frame by only 1-2 mm. That is, the frame from the profile pipe should simply, but with minimal effort, be mounted in our mortgages. Try to initially select the dimensions and mark the installation of the base pipes. These marks will become the assembly parameters of the upper part of the frame.
Assembling a metal frame
Our tent is designed for a really big family, and maybe a company from several families.
The frame is light and reliable, as it will be made of a pipe installed in a foundation fixed by the foundation. All we need is to work reasonably with dimensions that must exactly match.
Immediately cut out the main racks, corner and wall, which will hold a crate of wood or metal for mounting the cover of the tent. The crate can be very light, as the tent is covered with cloth. But this does not mean that it is necessary to sharply reduce the quality indicators of materials for the assembly of the frame.
Finished pipes are installed in mortgages in the foundation, aligned and bandaged with a temporary connection. Further, pieces are cut from the same pipe, which during assembly will become ribs of the main structure. Fasteners are welded or screwed onto these pipe pieces, as well as to the pipes of the main frame. If all sizes match, you can remove the temporary mounts and try to assemble the entire frame into an entire structure.
The roof for the tent is much less important than for the country house, gazebo or other buildings, but we still recommend that you read the article on roofing materials, where you can learn a lot. We will not use heavy materials for the roof, and therefore the roof lathing will be simple. This may be a wooden rail, knocked down as you prefer, and mounted on the main frame.
All that is required at a later stage is to make the roof also collapsible, and to come up with the material with which the new summer tent will be covered.
We mentioned earlier that it will be necessary to equip a quality floor in the tent, but here we have two options at once:
- The plank floor is an ordinary flooring, if the tent will have a temporary purpose. With the same option, an embankment is possible at a certain place in the summer cottage where the structure will be located, well, or in general, planting grass or grass lawn flooring, which is quite simple;
- Another option is to arrange a capital site at the site of the tent construction, from which it will be possible to sweep away or even rinse out all the garbage and dirt from the hose. It can be a concrete platform or an even plane from paving slabs.
Tent for a summer residence (video)
When the structure is completely ready and assembled several times for the sample, you can disassemble it and place it under the wall on paper or polyethylene, since now we are moving on to painting. Any metal can be corrupted by atmospheric influences, and therefore it must be protected from moisture and ordinary corrosion itself. To do this, primed the prefabricated parts of the tent, and then paint with paint for outdoor work with metal in the color you need. Do not forget only that the joints can not be painted, but they must be cleaned, possibly lubricated with grease, very little.
How to cover the tent
The classic of the genre in this situation is a purchased tent or dense fabric that can last several seasons. But many people use home drapes, organza and other fabrics for home-made country tents, which will set some originality. Just attach the fasteners and make a double seam at the place of the canopy, and the cover is ready.
If you approach from the practical side, you can also think of the complete closure of the tent with special nets from midges. They will allow air and heat to pass through, but they will hold insects outside during the evening rest when they fly into the light. Here you can frankly use your own imagination, because this design is your personal project!
A tent in the country with your own hands is a great idea. But we want to remind you again that each stage of the process should be well thought out initially so that the design is safe and reliable, and the room is beautiful and cozy.