There are a lot of standard events in the country garden, but do not forget about the most important ones that can prevent diseases and the loss of trees. One of these is the fight against bark beetle!
The bark beetle is a terrible insect enough for your country garden. A small pest with all its relatives is able to gradually destroy young and adult trees. At the same time, some insects can get into the house, where they can begin to destroy the wooden floor, furniture, windows and doors. If you have wooden buildings on the site, then the pest may well operate there.
Pergolas, arches, pergolas, log cabins or simply with wooden trim inside, can also suffer from the activity of the bark beetle. Therefore, it recommends the systematic destruction of insects that can do so much trouble.
Listen to our advice, use the most effective methods, but expel the pest from the garden and the territory of your site. If you do everything right, the result may well be positive.
What is a bark beetle?
In a professional language, and just in summer conversations, this insect can have several names. Not all of them are correct, based on species and subspecies, but you may come across the following “names” of the bark beetle - apple, cough, woodworm, fruit sapwood, wrinkled sapwood, plum bark beetle, apple sapwood and others. Insects belong to the family in which the sense of smell is very developed. These are pests that can absolutely accurately select the necessary wood.
It is also interesting that the bark beetle can smell the right tree from a distance of even a kilometer!
Beetles harm wood! It is according to these tissues that water and nutrients enter the plant, which go from bottom to top, and if the wood is damaged, then by simple thoughts it can be understood that the tree will not receive the right amount of substances for growth and development, and, accordingly, will begin to fade and die!
Malicious activity of bark beetle
How does an insect behave in a garden? Getting on the necessary tree, beetles populate the circumference of the trunk. Then, little by little they get inside, where the uterine passages are drilled. The resulting dust goes out, and for the observant summer resident it can be the first sign of settlement and the activity of the bark beetle.
Having prepared the moves, the beetles begin to lay eggs, from which larvae will soon appear.
They also arrange moves inside the tree, doing him even more harm. Thus, a bark beetle nest is constructed.
Bark beetles feed on the inside and outside, winter inside the plant and breed quickly enough. But do not forget that pests are often attracted by old or weakened trees, as well as those that are grown outside the rules of agricultural technology.
How to detect a bark beetle
One of the ways to understand if there is an insect in the tree, we have already suggested, but this is far from the last indicator of the pest in the garden.
The beetle hunts for weakened trees. He is more interested in settling where it will be possible to organize a large and safe nest, while not attracting attention and not wasting energy on solid healthy wood. This is possible with weakened large-sized plants or diseased plants, and therefore, first of all, you should look for a garden pest here.
The determination of trees infected with pests occurs by visual method.
You need to pay attention to the trunk and look for oval or round holes on it. This may mean that bark beetles live inside for a rather long period and have even produced offspring. A woodpecker who works hard on a tree can also be a sign. Quite often, he tries to find a bark beetle.
Once again, we draw your attention to the sawdust that is thrown by insects from the trunk during the formation of internal passages. Brown sawdust can mean that the beetles are only under the bark, and there is still time to tackle the salvation of your garden. If the sawdust is white, the insects are already deep in the tree, and it is almost impossible to save it.
Methods of struggle
Having noticed the signs of the bark beetle living in the garden, and that its life is being established at your expense, all possible active actions should be immediately taken to prevent insects from completely destroying your garden. To do this, we recommend that you use the special tips that we have identified in this article block!
- Pest control begins with an inspection of the garden. If trees with defects are found in it, you must immediately get down to business. Clean the bark with the help of special scrapers in those places where it is damaged, and inspect the “settlement” of the bark beetle.
- Immediately, when peeling the bark, the slices become shallow to get to the passages, pest and larvae, and also to understand how far the beetle penetrated into the tree. This will help to assess the situation and not cripple the tree, which can weaken it even more.
- Further, the mandatory treatment with protective preparations that, penetrating deep beneath the bark, can etch insects. Of course, inside the tree, the bug already does little to destroy, but if the problem is discovered on time, then high-quality chemical means from the bark beetle can quite well cope with the task.
- Do not forget about the mechanical method of combating bark beetle. We are all trying to “put pressure” on chemistry, but there haven’t been any such pest drugs before, and gardeners had to use a completely different approach. For this, an ordinary metal wire was used, with the help of which a bug can be destroyed inside its own course on a tree. At the same time, douche with insecticides to maximize the impact on the pest.
If a certain branch of the tree is seriously infected or you understand that it will not be possible to get to the insect, it is better to cut off such foci of infection and immediately burn it!
Bark beetle in our garden
Pest Invasion Prevention
The best insect control method is prevention. And this should be mastered by every summer resident, regardless of the type of unexpected guests. You should memorize preventive measures and use them on time, which will allow for a long time to keep the orchard healthy. What must be done to prevent the infection of the garden by the bark beetle?
There are several good ways here, and we will talk about each of them:
- First of all, a constant inspection of your garden in the country, which will make it possible to determine in time not only the bark beetle in the garden, but also other insects, diseases, problems;
- Maintaining the right agricultural technology, perhaps not even for the whole garden as a whole, but for each individual tree. Watering, pruning, crown formation, mulching the soil, garter, rationing and fertilizing, spraying, foliar dressing, washing and so on, in short everything that gives the plant strength and does not allow it to weaken before danger;
- Autumn and spring tree care is very important. Here and cleaning the bark, and timely treatment, and preparation for temperature extremes, humidity, frost. In this set of rules, you can add whitewashing of trees, wrapping them for the winter, other measures;
- Do not forget about the timely treatment of plants with special protective equipment. For this, you can use complex preparations to act on several insects at once, as well as diseases of the garden. It is very important, when it comes to bark beetle, to process trees during their nutrition outside. At the end of flowering and until autumn, this beetle eats greens on the branches, in stages, as it grows, and therefore each offspring can be killed by insecticides, and thus completely destroyed;
- Another good way is to communicate with summer residents. Ask local gardeners how they deal with the problem in your area. Often such advice is better than any modern drug!
Fighting the bark beetle in the garden can turn into a fierce war if you pay little attention to your summer cottage. Therefore, you should always be on the alert to not only detect danger in time, but also to neutralize the enemy as quickly as possible.
To do this, you can contact organizations that provide professional services to protect plants from pests and destroy bark beetles, for example, the company Dendromir: dendromir.ru.
If readers of our site have their own ways to destroy harmful insects, we will gladly listen to them! We recommend reading the article on how to treat trees in the country.