Cardiocrinum is a giant lily, a warm and moisture-loving Asian beauty. In the landscape design of the garden, a two-meter stalk with large fragrant flowers will take center stage.
Cardiocrinum is a perennial plant similar to a huge lily, capable of reaching 5 m in height. In nature, cardiocrinum is common in East Asia, Japan, China, India, Nepal. In the landscape design, a two-meter stem strewn with flowers can bring a royal accent. The name "Cardiocrinum" is translated from Greek as "heart-shaped lily", it was given to the plant because of the shape of the leaves. Even a small bulb that will not bloom this year forms a very beautiful rosette of leaves, they are large at the cardiocrinum, changing color during the season from bright bronze through olive with red veins to dark green. The play of color on the leaves continues until the fall.
Before flowering, a huge rosette of cardiocrinum leaves rises high and has a meter diameter, somewhat reminiscent of a palm tree.
Flowering occurs in mid-summer. Large narrow-crowned flowers look very exotic and smell, and the Asian beauty rules the garden. Such powerful flowering depletes the plant. The bulb spends all its nutrients on the cultivation of a giant flower stalk, and at that moment, when beautiful flowers open on it, the bulb has already completed its life cycle and has died. However, dying, it forms at the base of the stem, in the axils of its scales, daughter bulbs, already having a pair of full leaves. And at the end of the flowering period, a stalk with seed boxes remains.
This tall lily does not mix well due to its growth with other flowering plants.
Therefore, the best way to plant is in groups on the lawns. Next to her, it is better to plant shade-tolerant groundcover or leave alone. An ideal place for planting a cardiocrinum is close to coniferous trees, on the south side of them. Trees can provide cardiocrinum full comfort: create partial shade and shelter from the wind.
- The giant cardiocrinum (C. giganteum) grows from 1.5 to 4.0 m. The peduncle holds 30-80 white or cream flowers, 10-17 cm long. In the throat of each flower there are reddish-brown strokes. The aroma of lilies is strong especially in the evening. This variety needs very careful shelter for the winter.
- Chinese cardiocrinum (C. cathayanum) has a height of 1.0-1.5 m. In the inflorescence of 1-5 greenish flowers. Bulb with a diameter of 5 cm. It grows well in the south of Russia.
- Heart-shaped cardiocrinum or Glen (C. glehni) - up to 2 m high. On a peduncle of 25-35 flowers. Their length is 8-12 cm. Creamy white, reddish-brown strokes in the throat. Externally, the flowers are very similar to the flowers of the giant cardiocrinum, but less fragrant. His homeland is Father Sakhalin and the Kuril Islands. The flowering period in the middle lane is 2-3 weeks in July.
Young bulbs are separated from the mother plant and planted in partial shade in the fall or spring, at the beginning of the growing season. It is better to do this immediately after the mother's bulb has died out, when the "children" do not yet have their own roots.
The size of the planting pit is 30x30 cm or 50x50 cm. Planting depth is 3-5 cm. There is a distance of 90 cm between plants.
- At the bottom you need to put drainage - broken brick, expanded clay, on top - a layer of coarse sand.
- Before sowing soil, dolomite or bone meal, wood ash are added to acidic soil. The rotted manure or compost will not hurt. As well as superphosphate and slowly soluble granular fertilizers.
- When planting the bulb, only lightly sprinkle the ground so that the top of the bulb is flush with the ground or slightly rises above its surface.
- Seeds after collection are sown in pre-prepared beds. It is necessary to take care of good drainage and air supply, so peat and sand are added to the soil. Peat and sand also mulch the beds. Sometimes seeds are sown in pots (12-15 cm in diameter), they are dripped and covered for the winter. Spring shoots are not necessary to dive, you can leave it in the second year, when the bulb is better formed.
Lily grown from a daughter bulb blooms for 3-4 years, and from a seed for 7-10 years.
Top 10 most rare flowering plants
Lily cardiocrinum is a monocarpic plant. When the flowering period ends, the mother bulb dies, giving life to the bulb children, they can be up to 8 pieces. Such young plants quickly reach the flowering period (in 3-4 years). They are easier to grow for laypersons.
In a box on the stem of a faded cardiocrinum are seeds. After collection, they can be stored for 7-10 years, but it is better, of course, to sow fresh, dry. They need phased stratification (special training to accelerate germination), which not all growers can do.
- Cardiocrinum does not tolerate stagnation of water around the bulbs. The soil should be rich in organic matter and sufficiently moistened, but at the same time well drained.
- The plant is afraid of completely open places due to strong winds and sunburn.
- For the winter, cardiocrinum needs to be well insulated: in November cover with lapnik, and after the onset of frost - with fallen leaves, so that in case of a not very snowy winter the bulbs do not freeze. In spring, construction should be sprinkled with snow in order to delay the start of vegetation. In this way, you can help the plant protect itself from possible return frosts.
- The entire period of vegetation, cardiocrinum is recommended to be fed with complex fertilizers with trace elements.
A giant lily is not found in every garden. This is due to the difficulties of its cultivation. But if you even try to overcome them, you can get a grand exotic flower, the queen of the garden, as a result of your work. We recommend reading the article on anise hyssop.